FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Book: On the Dev and Dist of Primitive Locks and Keys 1883

Forum rules
DO NOT POST ACTUAL ARTICLES OR OTHER MATERIALS THAT ARE COPYRIGHTED!
<<

echoplot

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 28, 2014 9:37 pm

Book: On the Dev and Dist of Primitive Locks and Keys 1883

Subject title shorted me.... "On the Development and Distribution of Primitive Locks and Keys"
For you history buffs...I happened upon a hard copy of this text in the "Curiosities and Antiques" case of one of my local used book haunts.

Printed in 1883, detailing specimens in the Pitt-Rivers Museum collection (University of Oxford).
I've only briefly skimmed through it, but it seems to cover a number of points regarding the development of lock technologies in various parts of the world and the distribution of said technology (anthropologically speaking).

It's a pretty short book, but with a number of plates detailing historical as well as some modern lock technology of the time period.

Best news for last...if you'd like to read it yourself, a scan is fully available on the archive.org internet archives. See the link below...
https://archive.org/details/ondevelopmentdis00pittuoft
<<

escher7

Post Wed May 28, 2014 10:17 pm

Re: Book: On the Dev and Dist of Primitive Locks and Keys 18

Thanks for the link.
<<

echoplot

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 28, 2014 11:18 pm

No problem!

Update for all interested...
I've read through it a bit deeper at this point. It's a historical analysis of the development and spread of three branches of lock and key improvements throughout history, beginning with simple latch bolts and drawing upon examples of locks, keys, and lock components found at archaeological sites, descriptions of locking devices in historical texts and depictions of locks/keys (paintings, carvings, etc) on other artifacts.
Two of the branches being variations of the tumbler lock, and the third being the spring latched lock. It also delves into the development of a hanging (portable) padlock vs fixed locks, and the extensive etymology of the words lock, key, padlock, etc.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Thu May 29, 2014 7:03 am

Some one here was building a storage shed and needed ideas for an easy to open lock.........this has some really good examples.
Day late, dollar short.
I enjoyed it.
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 30, 2014 4:59 am

Thanks for the link. The plates in the back are awesome! Love the drawings of those old locks.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:15 am

jharveee wrote:Some one here was building a storage shed and needed ideas for an easy to open lock.........this has some really good examples.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it jharveee :cool:

Thanks for the link echoplot, I've saved all the pictures in my phone to read them in the next future :cool:

Return to Book & CD/DVD Reviews