FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

List of movies involving/about picking or cracking.

Forum rules
DO NOT POST ACTUAL ARTICLES OR OTHER MATERIALS THAT ARE COPYRIGHTED!
<<

Gregted

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:56 am

List of movies involving/about picking or cracking.

Couldn't find a thread on this so I Thought I would start a list of movies involving safe cracking or lock picking. I haven't seen all of these yet so can't say if they are all worth watching.

The Safecracker 1958

An honest expert on locks, Colley Dawson turns safe-cracker after he meets Benny Carfield, unscrupulous dealer in antiques; Dawson steals the goods and Carfield disposes of them, and the resulting profits enable Dawson to lead a double life with small-part film actress Vi. Scotland Yard catches up with him and Dawson is sentenced to ten years in prison. Two years later, in 1940, England is at war with Germany, and the War Office, planning a raid on a German-occupied château in Belgium, is looking for a man who can crack a difficult safe so that the contents, containing lists of Nazi agents in Britain, can be photographed without leaving a trace of the operation. Dawson, in exchange for the eight years of prison awaiting him, agrees to do the job. He, of course, also gets involved with the daughter, Irene, of the local resistance leader.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1000 ... iler-.html
" He can crack a safe or a womans' heart with equal dexterity." WOW.

The Italian Job 1969

Comic caper movie about a plan to steal a gold shipment from the streets of Turin by creating a traffic jam.
the italian job 1969 pic.jpg

The Score 2001

An aging thief hopes to retire and live off his ill-gotten wealth when a young kid convinces him into doing one last heist.
The Score 2001 pic.jpg

The Italian Job 2003

After being betrayed and left for dead in Italy, Charlie Croker and his team plan an elaborate gold heist against their former ally.
the italian job 2003 pic.jpg

Anyhoo... there's a start. Something to watch while I'm trying to pick my latest lock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut viam inveniam aut ipse viam faciam
"I shall either find a way, or make a way myself."

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” ― George Bernard Shaw
<<

Alera

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:06 am

Re: List of movies involving/about picking or cracking.

I loved The Italian Job when I was younger. Not so sure if I would like it so much now, but it was sure fun to watch then.

Have you ever watched Burn Notice on USA network? They actually show a few lockpick scenes where THEY EVEN USE A TENSION WRENCH.

Don't see that often :D
'Go Analog Baby, You're So Post-Modern'
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 31, 2014 3:20 pm

Donald Sutherland does a good job of impressioning several keys in the 1979 movie The Great Train Robbery (UK: The First Great Train Robbery.) A pretty entertaining movie!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat May 31, 2014 3:27 pm

Forgot about that, YLF. Didn't he make a casting first, then had to impression the key when it did not work quite right?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 31, 2014 11:01 pm

Not sure, doesn't help that there are several movies with that same title :(. I have only seen the Michael Crichton arrangement. The way I remember, there were four keys needed for a strong box. Each time a wax impression was made of four sides of each key blade. I'll have to watch it again to see if I missed the part where a casting was employed, thanks, Gordon!
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 31, 2014 11:10 pm

Oh, and The Score is extremely well done. The movie is actually a commentary on two different classes of criminals. Fun fact: this movie stars Marlon Brando at a point in his life where he has put on an undesired amount of weight. He did not want to be filmed below the waist so he actually wore no pants while scenes were shot to prevent this from happening!

OR NOT, just looked to up to see if what I heard on the radio was true, turns out it's just a rumor:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/4725638/Brandos-trousers-the-truth.html
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:17 am

youluckyfox wrote:Not sure, doesn't help that there are several movies with that same title :(. I have only seen the Michael Crichton arrangement. The way I remember, there were four keys needed for a strong box. Each time a wax impression was made of four sides of each key blade. I'll have to watch it again to see if I missed the part where a casting was employed, thanks, Gordon!

That is right with the wax impressions, not really casting. Was thinking of impressioning more along the lines of correcting the key cuts he made from the wax impressions.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Book & CD/DVD Reviews