FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Deviant Ollam books.

Forum rules
DO NOT POST ACTUAL ARTICLES OR OTHER MATERIALS THAT ARE COPYRIGHTED!
<<

Rickwales

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:41 pm

Deviant Ollam books.

Practical Lock picking, a physical penetration testers training guide 2012.

Keys to the Kingdom, Impressioning, privilege escalation, bumping, and other key based attacks against physical locks 2012.

Got these 2 books in a trade, and am really impressed. Had heard of the books from Mr Anybody, and grabbed them quickly.

I cant say its ground breaking, esp the first book. But its so well written and easy to understand. It answer's all those questions you felt too stupid to ask. Great diagrams and photos, written in a friendly informative style by Deviant Ollam. It has lots for beginners, and experts alike.
It has chapters on pin tumblers an wafers, lots of info on picks and picking techniques. Bypassing, shimming, and bumping are explored in detail with lots of great pictures.

The second book contains much more stuff on impressioning, and the naughty stuff like key security and decoding and foil attacks. Im still struggling to take it all in, theres so much. Great info on mould attacks and casting keys.

Very pleased to own both, and they will remain in my bookcase for a long time. Not cheap, but worth the money.

Rick.
<<

jfw

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:56 pm

Re: Deviant Ollam books.

I am also the proud owner of Deviant's books. I agree that the information contained in the books is very well articulated, for beginners and advanced lockies alike. Great addition to anyones collection. Also plenty of good information on his site http://deviating.net BUY his books!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:22 pm

Dev's books sit proudly on my lockpicking bookshelf. Have to agree the books explain things in terms just about anybody can understand.

There are two editions of PLP (Practical Lock Picking). The second edition does add a small bit of information to the first edition, but does change the black and white drawing/photos in the first edition to color. So if you have a choice, get the second edition. But don't feel that the first edition is worthless, because it is about 90-95% of the second edition.

His website does have a reasonable lock pick set (actually, several), practice locks, cut away locks, impressioning tools, and an impressive array of gadgets to make life interesting.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Rickwales

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:30 pm

Yep, great stuff in these books and his website and blog. Clever guy who sounds like he loves his work. Hard not to be jealous really!!!

Was advised to get 2012 version, and luckily thats what I was offered. Nothing like a good book.

Rick.
<<

pickmonger2

Post Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:25 am

I bought all his books in hard copy and in Kindle format.

Its handy to have some of my favorite books on my laptop when I go to meetings or just practicing at a friends place.

Amazon has a number of lock picking books in kindle format some of them are even free.

Return to Book & CD/DVD Reviews