FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Geocaching

Forum rules
SURVIVE!
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:50 pm

Geocaching

Anybody else doing it?

BLUF: Treasure hunting/hiking with GPS

Basically you go to http://www.geocaching.com/ and sign up and download waypoints into your GPS. Then you go out and find them. Some are thimble size and you only sign the logbog. They can be as big as storage tub full of goodies for you to trade out.

All you need is a GPS. Take the whole family. It gets you outside, it gets you to learn your GPS, it gets you to learn terrain negotiation, some minor mapping. It's healthy, in essence it's free(except the GPS) and you can make a whole day out of it, plan camping trips around it.

Plus if you get good at it you can set up your own caches, which you don't have to do with Geocache and you can put them near points of interest for emergencies, it will also show you places you may not have known about and give you ideas for emeregency situations in the wilderness.

Anyways, it's fun, trust me.
http://www.youtube.com/wolfspring

What you call intelligence, I call common sense.
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Re: Geocaching

Sounds like a lot of fun!!!! I know a lot of newer phones have the option of Geotagging, which is adding GPS Coordinates to the pictures you take. You can then send the picture to someone, they put the picture on a memory card and stick it in their Garmin, and it will take you there. Cool Stuff!!!
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:02 pm

Now that is cool, take a picture of some secluded location you want to share with someone that you found and boom they can find it when they need to.
http://www.youtube.com/wolfspring

What you call intelligence, I call common sense.
<<

Koguntetzu

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 16, 2012 2:56 pm

i just recently discovered geocacheing myself and for the past 3 days ive been going out every day for at least 4 local cache hunts. its loads of fun and i wanna make some caches out around golden gate park in San Francisco made for lockpickers. for instance its a typical geocache, however instead of just going out and looking for a cache, signing your name and trading items, i want to start making caches for people to go out to and lockpick open in order to get the prize (or another clue to lead you to the next cache in a multicache situation). in fact there should be a thread just for geocaching somewhere on KP so that we can plan locations (obviously in very low populated areas) for lockpicking caches that everyone puts down.
Stoop not down unto the Darkly-Splendid World; wherein continually lieth a faithless Depth, and Hades wrapped in clouds, delighting in unintellible images, precipitous, winding, a black ever-rolling Abyss; ever espousing a Body unluminous, formless and void.

-The Chaldæan Oracles of Zoroaster
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed May 16, 2012 3:05 pm

Koguntetzu wrote:i just recently discovered geocacheing myself and for the past 3 days ive been going out every day for at least 4 local cache hunts. its loads of fun and i wanna make some caches out around golden gate park in San Francisco made for lockpickers. for instance its a typical geocache, however instead of just going out and looking for a cache, signing your name and trading items, i want to start making caches for people to go out to and lockpick open in order to get the prize (or another clue to lead you to the next cache in a multicache situation). in fact there should be a thread just for geocaching somewhere on KP so that we can plan locations (obviously in very low populated areas) for lockpicking caches that everyone puts down.

I grew up in California. I don't have anything against cops in general but I have a HUGE distrust for California cops. Carrying lock picks and making movements as to not be noticed then picking a lock that does not belong to you in California is a recipe for disaster. I don't care how much you are not breaking the law you will not win there.

I do love Golden Gate park though. I miss the beauty of California.
<<

ChicoSlim803

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:48 pm

No this is an old thread but yea I have been caching since '10. Its been a while but fun, got stopped by the cops once!
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:44 am

I don't own a gps, im oldschool, I can read a 15minute sectional map, and a compass, on the map, if you see the road and have to go to a point that is over the hill and through the woods, you can route yourself to cross the river at a bridge rather than follow a digital position that tells you nothing about the terrain ahead. you can see on the map where the cliffs are steep and which way to go to route around them, Kool...
ive played this game with these tools looking for old mines that were cached years before I was born.

you guys in arizona found the dutchmans cache yet?
<<

verz

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:14 am

I geocached for a little bit I like the more out of they way caches down hiking trails.

Many of the caches around here are at little pull offs where people urinate at night. So you are looking all suspicious as cars drive by as you look around a urine soaked bush.

I have found some cool places looking for caches, I made a couple caches at historical or nice hidden spots most people don't know about. To me it is about the spot and not about the box of trinkets.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:34 pm

I like this too! I like some of the things you find entered into the logbooks in the caches like "Joe had great sex here" etc!

I find most caches are hidden at the bottom of old oak trees. Which attract woodpeckers and I like woodpeckers so there's a bonus.
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:08 am

sounds likes the future for hide and seek for kids lol looks good fun 1st ive heard of it :razz:

Return to Survival