FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Fire making

Forum rules
SURVIVE!
<<

Capt_Tom

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:23 am

Fire making

I was just reading an older post on firemaking, and rather than be a "grave robber" I thought that I would start a new thread. My Son in Law and grandson were here last week. I lit a fire in the back yard. I used traditional matches, but that was not the point that got his attention. I had a flaming fire in just a few minutes, because I started with the basics. I used tinder, then slivers of "fat Lighter" (found mostly here in the SOUTH, explained below), then twigs (larger slivers that I sliced from a log), and just kept getting bigger. I didn't add another layer until the first was well under way. I also put larger logs around the fire to get them "pre-heated". He was just beside himself, as he had never seen a fire started so well without the use of gasoline. I explained that there were three elements of fire... Heat, Fuel, and Oxygen. If any three lacked, there would be no fire. I also explained the method of my maddness. I have him and my grandson hooked on learning more. Life is good

"Fat Lighter", also called Lightered Wood", "Fat Wood", "Lighter", "light Wood", etc is where a pine tree was suddenly killed while in the sap rising stage. This can be caused by a lightning strike, disease, beetle infestation, etc. Limbs can also become "lightered", and fall from the tree. They are referred to as "Lightered Knots". This wood is very rich with turpentined sap. It is not wet like normal sap, as it is hardened into the wood. Small portions light and burn like candle wick (but hotter and better) Note... Never put a large piece of "Lightered Pine" on your fire... it will run you away, burn down close by structures, tents, etc. IT BURNS HOT! (edit) It will also burn clothes... while you are wearing them!!
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:31 am

Re: Fire making

In the north woods, on a wet day, you look for standing deadwood, any deadwood on the ground will probably be damp. and birch bark burns very well. you can also make fire starters by melting wax and mixing in some course sawdust then wrap these things in newspaper.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Fatwood is AWESOME stuff! I also have a firepiston which is fun to use and could truly be handy in a pinch. I usually start fires with shavings of fatwood as the tinder pile then bigger pieces of fatwood with a set of twigs in a teepee formation over the tinderpile and fatwood sticks. Then from there, I go with a box type fire structure for anything larger than the small twigs used for getting the initial small fire going.

I don't ever use accelerants such as gasoline or lighter fluid. I have been known to occasionally when in a hurry or just for kicks and to trip people out, to use a yard torch for burning away the grass and weeds that grows in sidewalk cracks and brick patios.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:26 pm

Growing up we made lots of fires while hunting, either to warm up or to cook. We have lots of pine in the east and not to hard to find pitch wood, you can make a fire with just a match, or flint and steel, and one piece of pitch wood. Now that I live in the wetter climate of Western Oregon, where it rains alot, I have had to devise other methods for fire building. There are virtually no to very little pine trees in most areas here where I live, and wood on ground is almost always wet or too damp to work. I use cedar bark off of the side of the tree, it works for tinder and you can get a good fire going with it, I get the heat going and then dry up the small twigs and go from there. Also what I use here when I happen to have them is potatoe chips, frito's work best, they have oil in them and it burns good, lite a chip and use tinder, mostly the cedar bark and you can get a good fire going.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Altashot

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:41 pm

A friend of mine told me this trick. Take an empty egg carton, fill each cavity with dryer lint and melted wax. When the time comes, rip off a cavity or two and light'er up.

M.
<<

Josh66

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:51 pm

I've always just used the standard mag stick... I use the file on a multi-tool instead of a knife to file the magnesium shavings off, and then use the blunt side of the blade on the striker.

It always surprises me how many people use the edge of the blade for both of those steps...
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Pocket lint, and a magnifing glass - :smile:
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Another trick is steel wool and a 9 volt battery. Not very handy but a neat trick none the less.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:38 pm

I like the BLAST MATCH, used it when i was a scout:

fire steel withe a built in scrapper and spring loaded
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:36 pm

Drier lint and a flint striker. Drier lint is dry and feathery.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Capt_Tom

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:42 am

Years ago, I worked on the beach. It was frequently windy. Many of the lifeguards who smoked had to go behind a float box to light up. One of the guards came up with a neat tool one day. He used a tile saw to cut the face off of a car headlight bulb... an old style. He would hold it to the sun and light his cigarette where the element normally was. THis wes the convergence zone of the reflected rays. (like a self contained magnifying glass) I still have one somewhere. I see them advertised on sites occasionally... but they are metal or plastic.

I have watched the fire pistons used on U-tube. I have never had my hands on one. I did attempt to make one, but I made it a little too tight, and it will not pull out. What is a reliable source for a good one without being ripped off?
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Josh66 wrote:I've always just used the standard mag stick... I use the file on a multi-tool instead of a knife to file the magnesium shavings off, and then use the blunt side of the blade on the striker.

It always surprises me how many people use the edge of the blade for both of those steps...

Hahahaha, Yeah... alot of people do that... it's a damn shame as that toally kills the edge.

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Capt_Tom wrote:Years ago, I worked on the beach. It was frequently windy. Many of the lifeguards who smoked had to go behind a float box to light up. One of the guards came up with a neat tool one day. He used a tile saw to cut the face off of a car headlight bulb... an old style. He would hold it to the sun and light his cigarette where the element normally was. THis wes the convergence zone of the reflected rays. (like a self contained magnifying glass) I still have one somewhere. I see them advertised on sites occasionally... but they are metal or plastic.

I have watched the fire pistons used on U-tube. I have never had my hands on one. I did attempt to make one, but I made it a little too tight, and it will not pull out. What is a reliable source for a good one without being ripped off?

Hi Tom,

That is a cool idea with the bulb.

For fire pistons, you might want to check out the ones this guy sells on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIRE-PISTON-SHU ... 0867347618

I bought one of his a few months back and am VERY pleased with it. And it being made with plexi/perspex has a few benefits in teh way of keeping it properly cleaned and most of all, the whole tube lights up when it starts the ember with a quick flash. The ends are by far the most bright with the flash, but it is noticeable down the entire length of the tube. Now bear in mind, they do take some practice to get used to so that you can get the bit of char cloth to light consistently and easily. But it is well worth the practice it takes.

-Elbow :akimbo:

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:47 pm

We didn't start the fire.
It was always burning
Since the worlds been turning

:mrgreen:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:55 pm

I line in Kentucky and tinder is usually not a problem here. If it is we have a scrub cedar that has fine bark and the lower twigs die and usually hare protected from even a good rain. I have always been fan of the old bic lighter. It has never failed me and you can't beat the price. I always buy the white ones because they are the only ones that you can see how much fuel is left in them. I strip the child proof portion off the top and have a great way to start fires for a long time. I have a crush proof aluminum case that protects it in my bag. A bit of cotton tinder can be tucked in the bottom too. The other advantage is that I can start a fire with one hand if injured. Lastly even if I run out of fuel the metal exterior can be removed and I have a one handed "flint and steel" that will work for an extended period of time. A bit of cotton will light every time with it. I keep some untreated wood q-tips for this purpose in my BOB. If all else fails I have one of these: http://countycomm.com/brassflint.html . These are great, one handed, and cheap. It works great with the q-tips too. As the captain mentioned in the begin of this thread fire building is becoming a lost art. Its sad to see that most kids these days never get the chance to learn these skills. Even the grown ups I know have resorted to bottles of lighter fluid for fires. Everyone should try to this knowledge along to all the young folks that they can. Being outside has largely been replaced by X-box and Nintendo DS.....just sad.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein
Next

Return to Survival