FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Food Supplies

Forum rules
SURVIVE!
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Food Supplies

So, I just got back from the grocery store. Has anyone else noticed occasional lags in restocking stores in your area? It's not just one store where I've seen this. We have four major grocery store chains with stores within a mile of my house and I've seen it in all of them. The store I was at only had around a dozen gallons of milk in the cooler when usually there are a few hundred.

Most of the time things are just fine, but more and more often it seems I'll go in and there will be lots more empty spaces on shelves than usual. Then I start paying closer attention, and I'll notice that while the shelves are well faced (stock moved to the front edge) the shelves are far from full behind the first couple of rows. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Maybe stores are just running a tighter ship, keeping less inventory around but restocking more often.

I remember when they'd have little islands set up in the produce area, with ginormous pyramids of oranges, or apples, or whatever. For the past year or so, they've got a slanted base on the stands so it looks like a pile of fruit, but there is only ONE layer of fruit lined up on it. I was buying Granny Smith apples the other day, and they had less than two dozen apples in stock. I realize it's not the optimum time of year for them, but still, it bugs me.

I've decided that every time I buy a non-perishable grocery item, if it's on sale for a decent price I'm going to buy 4 or 5 extra to bulk up my emergency supply.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:35 am

Re: Food Supplies

That fake pyramid fruit stack has been going on for a while - but, yes, I have also noticed that the stock in the aisles is somewhat stingy. I don't know what the reasoning is, whether its just running short of supplies or just running leaner.

Prices are creeping up on a steady basis - and I think were are in for a gouging at the supermarket in the next 12 to 18 months. http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/local_news/mobile_county/food-prices-rise-nearly-four-percent

And these two factors don't help: http://eatdrinkbetter.com/2011/04/04/texas-worst-drought-in-44-years-driving-food-prices-up/

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/cost-of-freedom/transcript/forbes-fox/presidents-ethanol-push-fuels-food-price-spike-fears

Return to Survival