FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need a new torch...

Forum rules
SURVIVE!
<<

MrPicky

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:30 am

Re: Need a new torch...

I don't think you can beat an LED Lenser - they are the mutt's nuts.

Easy to get a hold of either in the US or UK.

https://www.ledlenserusa.com/
<<

kk500

Familiar Face

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:42 am

I used to lurk around CPF (CandlePowerForums) but has to stop because collecting flashlight is too much of a money-burning hobby :shock:

I'm a Surefire fan, superior quality always (admittedly also superior price). Nowadays LED lights are virtually indestructible and the batteries last long enough without the need to carry spare batteries...
- David
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:54 am

MrPicky (love the name btw. I tried to get "Picksie"... like Pixie, but with picks... But it was taken everywhere T_T) - Thanks for the tip! I'll take a look!

kk500 - I've just started down that road, CPF et al. It's a dangerous road. Flashlight collecting just seems way too fun. Looks like it comes with a lot of dense lingo so probably a steep learning curve :/
Currently I've got:

Foursevens Quark Pro QP2L (Gen 2) (Already received - this is my G/F's carry light)
SureFire P1R Peacekeeper (On the way - this is MY carry light)
FourSevens Maelstrom Regen MMU-X3R (On the way - new Desk light (will likely show up in my lock videos as the light source for seeing inside of dark things))

Practically speaking, I do still need a car torch and a little torch for my toolkit / computer kit. Anything outside of those two is gonna be a hobby light.. As if I don't already have enough things to spend too much money on :(
<<

just1pick+open

Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:30 pm

xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:04 pm

Ahah, is that site serious? The whole thing feels like a weird scam to me.. Or at least overselling it's virtues. Something about the long droning descriptions going on about how amazing it is and the "But YOU, gentle viewer, can get it for 99.99999999999999% off the RRP! Get you discount in the next FIFTEEN SECONDS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!"

That said, they boast 700lm for that torch. The Maelstrom peaks at 2k and then runs at 1k for like 2.5h (I think?) for probably the same cost :cool:
<<

MrPicky

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:55 am

LocksportSouth wrote:Ahah, is that site serious? The whole thing feels like a weird scam to me.. Or at least overselling it's virtues. Something about the long droning descriptions going on about how amazing it is and the "But YOU, gentle viewer, can get it for 99.99999999999999% off the RRP! Get you discount in the next FIFTEEN SECONDS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!"

That said, they boast 700lm for that torch. The Maelstrom peaks at 2k and then runs at 1k for like 2.5h (I think?) for probably the same cost :cool:

Wicked Lasers boast a torch at 4100lm :)

http://www.wickedlasers.com/torch
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:22 am

Hehe, I've been looking at that too.. I do love WickedLasers, but that torch lasts 20 minutes, takes 3+ hours to charge and sets stuff on fire :armed:

Now I'll be honest, that's exactly what I want from a Wicked Lasers product, but it makes the least efficient flashlight, sadly :(
<<

stefan042

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:49 am

LocksportSouth wrote:... That's Flashlight to the Americans out there :P

I'm currently using a big Maglite at my desk, and a small one in my computer repair kit / tools bag. I'm looking for a new torch that is:

Small - needs to be part of an EDC. Should fit in a small man-bag or pocket ideally
Bright - the brighter the better. I know there are some amazing LED and Krypton-Argon-Plutonium-Whatever torches around these days that are tiny and put out like 1M CP or something crazy
Clear - Preferably clear, crisp, white light, not that nasty yellow stuff you get from crap torches
Hard Wearing / Heave Duty - Should be able to stand up to knocks, scrapes, falls, water (ideally submersion but splash proof would be OK)
Long battery life - Yes, I know that runs contrary to "bright", but at least a semi-reasonable battery length please. I've had massive 10M CP flashlights that take lead acid batteries and last for 20 mins (5 mins max duty cycle) with 20 hour charge times. Clearly that wouldn't be ideal in this situation :P

Not sure if I can fit all that into one torch - let me know! I'm not going to say "money is no object", but I don't have a set budget in mind. I'm the type who'd rather pay a lot for a decent product upfront than keep replacing cheap crap every time it breaks.

Um, Anyone suggest this one??? ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c--5c3Egv4E
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:23 am

Mwahahahaha
That's so awesome :drool:
Wish I had the electronics or DIY skills (or tools) to make something like that. Seriously cool.
About as practical as the Wickedlasers torch though XD
<<

stefan042

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:49 pm

LocksportSouth wrote:Mwahahahaha
That's so awesome :drool:
Wish I had the electronics or DIY skills (or tools) to make something like that. Seriously cool.
About as practical as the Wickedlasers torch though XD

It's on my to do list! ;)
<<

just1pick+open

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:55 pm

LocksportSouth wrote:Ahah, is that site serious? The whole thing feels like a weird scam to me.. Or at least overselling it's virtues. Something about the long droning descriptions going on about how amazing it is and the "But YOU, gentle viewer, can get it for 99.99999999999999% off the RRP! Get you discount in the next FIFTEEN SECONDS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!"

:agree: now that I looked at closely :???:
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
Previous

Return to Survival