FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Micrometric Precision Key Machine

<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:37 am

Re: Micrometric Precision Key Machine

I like to hook the belt on the small pulley first & then kinda roll it up onto the large pulley. It does hafta be fairly tight to keep the cutter moving through the keyblank
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:39 am

Oh ok so then its supposed to be pretty tight. Nice cause I was about to send this belt back. Thanks
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:03 pm

I have not seen your machine but the pulley on the motor is much larger on the Micro machine than the Ilco 008 look how small that motor pulley is on the ilco 008 which would make it very tight on yours. Turn it on see if it stretches some after running. If it is too tight it can wear out the motor bushing but think it is ok see if it feels less tight after it runs a while. :mrgreen:
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:31 pm

Didnt realize to take pictures of the machine and now its in parts but Ill take pictures once I get it all together. Here is a picture to compare the old original belt with the ilco replacement belt. Its a pretty big difference, at least to me but i does seem very stretchy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:00 pm

Your old belt looks like a vacuum cleaner belt, you can see it is thicker and larger than the ilco belt is.
Why not give the vacuum cleaner belts a look at?
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:16 pm

Bit confused at the question Jones. Keep in mind that my machine is not the Ilco but the micrometric which is a different machine.

Richard, I just noticed what you meant about the motor pulley. Its a pretty big difference and now I understand why this replacement belt is that much smaller. Belt is going back tomorrow and the hunt continues. I found a similar belt in my local lockie shop but its just a little bit bigger than my old one. I see on the machine there are scrap marks from the old belt so I thinking putting a bigger one wont be a smart choice.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:24 pm

Just stopped by a hardware store near my job and picked up a belt much closer to the original. 2 belts in one pack for $4, should have did that first before ordering the ilco one for $10.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:15 pm

Good Deal, that's what counts.
Your old belt looks like a standard vacuum cleaner belt, as you noticed the old belt wasn't right for your machine anyhow cause those vac belts are too thick.
I used to make them work just to save the $$, used to be you could get two for a dollar at the $1 store
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:35 pm

I said to go to a sewing machine / vacuum cleaner repair place to get a belt on the first page of this topic.

https://ssl.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=9862#p89944
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:37 am

Indeed you did Mr. Wizard. So a little update, I tried to assemble the shaft back with the new belt and faced the same problems as coming out but this time I stopped and sanded those nicks out with a lite paper that now the pulley moves easily along the entire shaft but until it hits the end of the shaft then it seizes again and I think that is because the pulley also had nicks. In the future the idea is to sand down the shaft end just a hair to let me take the pulley completely out then fully fix this issue. Thanks again for all the advise and help, I really do appreciate it. I will post pictures once I get everything assembled as it was getting way to late to do it last night.

Jones, I am not sure what the old belt is but it looks like it was originally round and someone tried to cut it to make the top part flat/flush with the pulleys.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:30 pm

So I finally completed everything and took some pictures. You can notice I raised the motor a bit just to make sure there isnt too much tension for the belt and also to stop the belt from rubbing against the base since it is bigger than the original but everything works perfectly fine and a big thank you is in order for all of the support and advise. Thank you!!!

Oppps sorry about the rotated view. Didnt review the pics before posting.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:45 pm

Make sure you put a couple drops of oil into the holes above either side of your cutter axle, from time to time
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:42 am

Yeah about that. I found a break down which stated that those are oil holes but for what? They are blocked by the brass bushings so where does the oil go? I put some oil onto the shaft which makes sense but these holes do not, lol
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:06 pm

Papa Gleb wrote:Yeah about that. I found a break down which stated that those are oil holes but for what? They are blocked by the brass bushings so where does the oil go? I put some oil onto the shaft which makes sense but these holes do not, lol

Sounds like someone replaced those bushings & never drilled the oil holes through them
<<

Deadlock

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:57 pm

^ Exactly.
PreviousNext

Return to Key Making