FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Micrometric Precision Key Machine

<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Micrometric Precision Key Machine

Wanted a key cutting machine since day one and luck have it, I got one. Found a guy on craigslist who was a retired locksmith and no longer had any use for it. I'm sure its probably the most cheapest and worst one out there but for my purpose its more than enough. For the machine and for a Zipco pinning kit, I paid $30 which I think is a steal at least for my hobby budget. I didn't take any pictures of mine but here is a link to the exact same one http://www.findgreatstuff.com/page/2945.html

I took apart almost the entire machine for cleaning plus to get the belt off as its needs a new one and here is where KP comes in:
1. Where can i find a belt for this machine or a similar belt? Does anyone know what belt size it is or any more info on it?
2. I cant take the pully assembly off to remove the belt and don't want to start hammering taking a chance to break the machine before I even use it, lol. Does anyone know how to take it apart or know where I can get some more info or a service manual or anything?

Any info on the machine, parts, service manual,s assembly and disassembly would be much appreciated.
I should have took before and after pics but Ill post some pics of how clean it looks after I'm done.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:43 pm

Re: Micrometric Precision Key Machine

Looks like an ILCO 008 mini-mite knock off.
I would guess same parts will work.
Google it and you should be able to find a complete manual and parts info.
I own the ILCO, and could give you the belt #.
I'll look and get back to you.

www.kaba-ilco.com/key-systems/Literatur ... chines.htm
Last edited by jharveee on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:44 pm

I'm more interested in seeing pics of the ZIPCO pin kit! Those go for way more than the 30 you paid for both!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Belt.JPG

Try google
Kaba-ilco Literature
Key machine
Duplicators
008A Mini-Mite
Manual "PDF"

got my belt at Clark security
(190-16) 008-47 BDO244XXXX
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Sweet thanks Harvey. Any chance you can measure the circumference of the belt?

Jeff, to be honest the kit I got for free but paid $30 for the machine (he was asking for $25) so in my head its 30 for both this way I knew I wants over paying for anything lol. Trying to have some control over this addition, ops I mean hobby.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:46 pm

Ha!
I'm thinking........C=R*PI and thats as far as I got. :shock:
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:55 pm

Didn't take it out of the bag. 3 inch Dim. times Pi(3.1416)= 9.424 inch.
Your machine may use a total different belt.......But just by looking at the photos it looks just like a Ilco 008 machine.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:00 pm

Micrometric machines were made long before Ilco's 008 mighty mite so Ilco's could be considered a knock off but suspect they bought out Micrometric. Only difference is ilco added the double side jaws and key alignment gauge which is light years better, other than that same machine IMO. I have both they work but are not one I would use daily as a prime cutting machine. I added a motor speed control to the Micrometric one decades ago because the motor speeds it up so fast the belt would visibly stretch away from the pulleys and made a bunch of noise running at the speed. I carry it into businesses or residential when I need a machine there. I slow it down so it makes hardly any noise and works just as good at slower speeds. I have bought replacement belts for these at sewing machine and vacuum cleaner repair shops which was a long while ago they were dirt cheap. :mrgreen:

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:29 pm

Richard so yours saying the ilco belt will fit the micrometric, right?
Can you explain more and post pics of the speed controller?

Also, any idea where I can get a double sides cutting wheel? The one thats on there now is a single sided cutter just for duplication. I want to cut to code.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:12 pm

take a look here: www.mysecuritypro.com
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:09 pm

Papa Gleb

Cutting wheels are very expensive new and if you change the cutter you have to also replace the tracing guide that matches it. I like a MC37 cutter as it has both angles on it but get out your wallet it isn't cheap. You can use the cutter that is on there it is easy to free hand the backside angle to code out keys on it. Try it you will see it will work as the depth keys already have the back angle on them but you will have to free hand some cuts as that angle won't be there to follow. I would think the same Ilco 008 belt will work as it is almost the same machine. Try going to sewing machine / vacuum repair places you may find one there that will work. I built the motor speed control for mine as they were not available back then and I wanted it on the board with the machine for easy carry and use. I made the board it is on as well. You can buy motor speed control many places online just have to check around. They just plug in the wall then you plug in the machine and adjust the knob.

Micrometric 01.jpg

Micrometric 02.jpg

Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:33 pm

nice set-up. years ago i added a sewing machine foot pedal to a belsaw 200 for speed control. it worked great. also, i used an "O" ring as a replacement belt for a micro key machine i once had.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:44 pm

Very impressive thinking Richard. I noticed the price tags on those cutters and even checked ebay but prices are about the same except for this item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-DAY-SALE-IL-1 ... 19f6940dfb. I know nothing about cutters but it looks like it has the double angles except its smaller. Im gonna give it a try with the one I have and see how things go then will decided if I want a different cutter and a controller. My mom has plenty of sewing machines and parts so I may install a foot pedal like Bitbuster.

I also have another issues. Been searching all day literally and cant find anything about taking the main shaft off. If I even got the part named right. The belt is on a pully that is on the cutter shaft which I cant take off. Richard, have you ever taken it off and if so how? I found one place were a guy said "it appears to be press fit" and if thats the case then the O ring idea and vacuum shop ideas are all out the window leaving me with only one. A leather belt connected with metal staples but before that I really want to know how to take it apart. I cleaned all of the remaining parts to shiny new and would like to clean this plus I am not sure how well that leather thing would work.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:20 pm

Papa Gleb wrote:Very impressive thinking Richard. I noticed the price tags on those cutters and even checked ebay but prices are about the same except for this item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-DAY-SALE-IL-1 ... 19f6940dfb. I know nothing about cutters but it looks like it has the double angles except its smaller. Im gonna give it a try with the one I have and see how things go then will decided if I want a different cutter and a controller. My mom has plenty of sewing machines and parts so I may install a foot pedal like Bitbuster.

I also have another issues. Been searching all day literally and cant find anything about taking the main shaft off. If I even got the part named right. The belt is on a pully that is on the cutter shaft which I cant take off. Richard, have you ever taken it off and if so how? I found one place were a guy said "it appears to be press fit" and if thats the case then the O ring idea and vacuum shop ideas are all out the window leaving me with only one. A leather belt connected with metal staples but before that I really want to know how to take it apart. I cleaned all of the remaining parts to shiny new and would like to clean this plus I am not sure how well that leather thing would work.

Here you try this.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t24211578-change_belt_ilco_008b_mini_mite_key

I don't remember it being hard to do unless the shaft got hot from cutting lots of keys and is frozen on there, if so some penetrating oil and gentle persuasion will get it to loosen.
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:33 pm

Damn, no wonder your the wizard. All day, again ALL DAY I goolged and goolged and got shit 10m after asking you find something. thanks Richard.

I also feel it is the issue here, its an old machine which was used because when I got it, there were plenty brass shavings so I think it might have froze up cause the set screws I completely took out and still no play. Any suggestion on a good penetrating oil or its all the same? Liquid wrench is actually at arms reach to me but I never used it.
Next

Return to Key Making