FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Where is the best source for key blanks?

<<

Gregted

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:31 pm

Where is the best source for key blanks?

Just saw these on evilbay and was wondering if there is a cheaper place to buy blanks or at least somewhere with more variety. Have sent message to seller to see if he can supply other profiles etc...
Aut viam inveniam aut ipse viam faciam
"I shall either find a way, or make a way myself."

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” ― George Bernard Shaw
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:55 pm

Re: Where is the best source for key blanks?

I don't think there's a definitive answer to your question. With some obscure blanks, the 'bay could be your best bet. For more common ones, I haven't found ebay to be competitively priced. When I need blanks, I waste a bunch of time plugging my information into the sites of several different vendors to find the cost after shipping and tax. And I've never used the same vendor twice.
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:36 pm

<<

Gregted

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:08 pm

Thanks Gringolocksmith and DennisK.

I like that key site Dennis and might give them a try. The site on evilbay is in Oz so they might also get some of my hard earned. 10 keys might be a good idea when I'm just learning to impression. I should get one or two usable keys from that lot.

One vid I saw said to use a small round file to file keys but every key I have seen is cut flat and angled and not round. What file have u used?
Aut viam inveniam aut ipse viam faciam
"I shall either find a way, or make a way myself."

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” ― George Bernard Shaw
<<

rzr800

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:35 pm

If your just learning I would just go ahead and get a 50pk. 10 keys would go by pretty quick and then you would be worrying about that last 10th key you got.
<<

faygo6

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:48 pm

I use a round or oval shaped needle file. The cuts on a machine are going to be a lot smoother. The keys you file by hand are going to look like the teeth on a saw blade used in horror movie but, as long as they work.
If your getting started on impressioning don't over look lever locks with flat keys. They are much easier.
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:34 pm

Down in Mexico we never cut keys to code. If we rekeyed a lock, we always made the new key with a round file. Since the cuts were rounded off, the sweet spot in each cut was smaller, and the keys were prone to failing without a whole lot of wear.

Return to Key Making