FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Key Blank Questions

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:36 pm

Key Blank Questions

So I've recently stepped into the wonderful world of impressioning... viewtopic.php?p=60760#p60760
With it has come a great many questions in regards to key blanks, profiles, prices, catalogs, etc.

This is all new to me. And if I have so many questions... I thought others might as well. So here's the thread for it: ASK AWAY!!
Whether it's a stupid question, or something more advanced - the more questions posed & answers given, the more we all learn.

So here's just a couple of the many questions I have:

1. Key blank reference catalogs: Most locksmiths probably have a fair number of these. As a hobbiest on a
limited budget though, could I still cover alot of ground with just 1, 2, or 3 of these catalogs? And if so...
which ones should I purchase, and how/where do I go about getting them?

At this point, I see codes and they're all greek to me. For all I know, I could be purchasing a blank with
a profile I'm apt to never even encounter! And as far as looking at a keyway and knowing what key I
need to get for it?.... haven't a clue. lol

2. Fair prices for blanks?: Again, as a hobbiest I haven't the budget, nor the need to buy in bulk.
After looking around quite a bit, anything between 20 and 30 cents per blank seems to be a decent price?
For example, I've been fighting with myself for a few days now about purchasing this lot of blanks....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300728755360?ss ... 1438.l2649
169 Russwin & Corbin assortment.... seems to be a nice variety of profiles... and comes to roughly 25 cents/blank.
This same seller has a number of other key blank lots that I've also been looking at.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have for me.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Re: Key Blank Questions

Everything I have blank-wise is on PDF. I doubt you need to purchase any catalogs. Honestly, Ilco and Jet's websites combined with the Corbin Russwin cylinder guide are tremendous resources.
I buy my blanks primarily from HL Flake in quantities of 10 or more, and the local hardware store if I need 1 or 2 oddballs and don't want to wait to place an order.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:52 pm

1) the ilco catalog is your best bet, but it's not free. if you find a JMA dealer, you can get one of their catalogs for free.

2) depends on the blank. i just spend over $5/blank on emhart high security blanks, but i was just glad to find them. that seller looks like he has some nice assortments, that might be your best bet. as a hobbyist you might not want to just stock up on blanks just in case you ever come across that particular lock... but you may ;)

here is a link to ilco catalog library: http://www.kaba-ilco.com/key-systems/Literature-Support/Literature/349692/key-blanks-key-accessories.html
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:38 pm

If you can't establish an account with HL Flake for whatever reason lockpicks.com has reasonable prices as well. Like Jeff Moss said the Ilco guide is a tremendous resource for information, also a website called mysecuritypro.com is a great resource for cross referencing key blank numbers. Next week I'm going to be ordering some R2 restricted key blanks for American Locks. I have a padlock in the shop and I want to make a key for it. The only thing is I'm buying a few direct from another locksmith.
<<

Oldfast

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:20 am

Thanks so much guys! As always, you come through in flying colors.
I had a feeling it would be more computer based nowadays (which I suck at lol).
But I'll definitely check into some of the resources mentioned and get back with you.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:45 pm

like mdchurchill said, mysecuritypro.com is what I use, and the prices are great as well. Email them when you order and ask for a coupon code.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

keymaster1053

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi Oldfast,
as far as that Ebay auction goes, do you run into a lot of russwin/corbin that COULD use those blanks? Personally I'd be shocked if I ran into 4 or 5 of those in a year of locksmithing. but it does vary from area to area. as mentioned, the most informative I think is the Ilco catalog, which is not free, (20 bucks), but if you want one I can get it for you from my supplier. (I don't know if they will sell to someone off the street or not) As Far as which blanks to have on hand, again, depends on your area, I would have something like these: Schlage, Kwikset, Arrow, Dexter, Ilco, Eagle, Yale, Master, American, and some wafer blanks like hudson, yale, ilco. stuff like that. Again, if you have a hard time finding any, let me know I can buy them in any quantity.
Jim.
keymaster1053
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:29 pm

The pdf documents are handy, but to me there is no substitute for having a paper copy of the ilco catalog in your hand. It's much faster to browse and find what you need, and the pictures are to scale. So if you have several blanks that are VERY close to each other and you're not sure which to order, you can just lay your key on the pics and sometimes verify which one you need just from doing that.
<<

Oldfast

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:34 am

Ok, so as I poor over the ilco pdf catalog, I have to admit, I'm a bit baffled & can see that getting familiar with this shit ain't happenen over night. lol. But that's OK! Nothin' much around here does. I've downloaded a portion of it (Section 2: North American Cylinders) onto my phone. Though much of it is still greek to me... it's quite nice to at least have something to refer to. The mysecuritypro website is nice as well. There's also a nice quick read on the site that was helpful for someone like me trying to get familiar with keys.

And Jim, thank you so much for the offer! No need to take your time getting a hold of a catalog for me, as a member will be sending me one that he no longer uses. In regards to getting blanks for me if I ever have trouble finding certain ones... that means alot considering my avenues at this point for obtaining 'hard to find' blanks are few & far between. Your name will certainly come to mind when I run into trouble. lol

More questions to come from me, I'm sure....
<<

Oldfast

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:38 pm

You've all been very helpful. I've been able to gather a fair amount of info for identifying Ilco key blanks.
I haven't even skimmed the surface probably, but the Ilco & EZ Ilco codes are starting to make some sense.

However, I've just a acquired some STAR blanks, and I'm finding the info on these is not so readily available :/
Are there STAR catalogs I can order from some where, or PDF's that you could point me towards?
Will I be stuck having to cross-reference these to get info?
<<

pin_pusher

Familiar Face

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:50 pm

the ilco seems to be the most varied reference for key blanks, at least here in america. i haven't found too many blanks out there that aren't included in their catalogs. jma is another one that i have lying around.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:03 pm

Star is out of business. Let me see if I have any reference material on my laptop.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

MacGyver101

Familiar Face

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Here are a couple of other good references, some of which provide good coverage for locks more commonly found outside North America:

<<

Oldfast

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:04 pm

Kinda funny actually, cuz the ilco shit was just starting to make some sense...
then I got some STAR blanks and felt entirely lost all over again. lol

pin_pusher wrote:. . . jma is another one that i have lying around . . .
Yeah, there was a few JMA blanks mixed in with this lot of STAR blanks. Hadn't seen that brand till now.

jeffmoss26 wrote:Star is out of business. Let me see if I have any reference material on my laptop.
Guess that would explain why I couldn't find an 'official' site for them.
And thank you for taking the time to look on your laptop....
anything is very helpful to me at this point.

@ Mac: Thank you!! I'll start looking over that stuff right now... see what I can find.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks for the links MacGyver. Very handy.

Return to Key Making