Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:13 pm

Re: Hand duplicating a key

Those peaks can serve another purpose, Rai. If you have a key and/or pins that are a little worn, then by pulling the key out just a little bit, it raises the pins enough for the key to work.

That said, without those peaks, the keys tend to not wear the pins as quickly.

Choice is yours. When I make an impressioned key, I usually do away with at least the sharp edges of the peaks. As I do not have a key duplicator (anybody have an inexpensive one to sell me?), it is a moot point in my case,

When smoking a key, I use a lighter turned up so there is a yellow flame, which gives the most soot for smoking a blank, though I have used candles, both wax and oil, in the past with success. Just use pliers to hold the key blank, or you will be missing your fingerprints for a while. Ask me how I know... :stupid: One downfall to this method (smoking, not losing your fingerprints) if the blades of the keys are too far apart, you lose accuracy and have no crisp lines. These days, I typically don't smoke unless set on fire :mrgreen: , preferring to use a micrometer.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.