FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

First Handfiled Key

<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:45 pm

First Handfiled Key

Used a cheapo home depot file set.

Picture 259.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:10 pm

Re: First Handfiled Key

Is that an SFIC key? Well done man.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Looks perfect :) Nice work.

Mine don't end up lookin' nearly that professional... but they do the job.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

MrPharmer2012

Doctor... Contributor
Doctor... Contributor

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:58 pm

I made My first filed/impressioned Key the other day as well

Master commercial locks I received from a locksmith without keys all keyed alike, I figured I would try my hand at impressioning, took me three keys to get it the third key turned out pretty good. The first key I did I got the first pin perfect and then kept going to far on the others. Very hard to see the marks without using magnifier. I used a cheap harbor freight file for these and harbor freight calipers with depth chart in impressioning guide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:49 am

Nice job both of you! Xeo, looks like an Arrow SFIC key?
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:49 am

jeffmoss26 wrote:Nice job both of you! Xeo, looks like an Arrow SFIC key?

Its a BEST F keyway 6-pin SFIC !
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:52 am

Does anyone have any tips on making perfect plateaus? I guess I just need to find a file set that has a variety of square files with various widths since the one I'm using here is smaller in width than the BEST plateau.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:54 am

The only one I've done so far is just a simple wafer lock. Good job xeo. I guess practice makes perfect. When I got it cut to code the guy said I was perfect except I was in-between a 2&3 on one cut, pretty good for a first try.

Now go get it cut to code and see how well you did.
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Great effort xeo - congrats on the do not duplicate :mrgreen:
<<

Oldfast

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:23 am

Jesus age! Took me long enough to find this post! lol. Guess I didn't realize there was a
'Key Making' sub-forum in addition to the 'Pin tumbler Impressioning'. Now I know. lol

Anyway, guess it was yesterday when trying to get this 6-pin Corbin key lookin' good for Jeff...
viewtopic.php?p=67800#p67800 that this old post of yours came to mind. Not everyone realizes
what can go into just one cut sometimes. Getting all the angles approximately the same is one
thing. But to get the bottom of each bitting nice and flat & horizontal while at the SAME TIME
landing at a PRECISE depth... it can be a tedious task sometimes.

Now that I've been at this a bit, I can look at what you did with that
BEST key and appreciate the results and the time you put into it!
The first time I commented here... I had know idea! lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:29 am

You can buy a tricorner file and grind off one edge so it only cuts to the sides but not deeper, this will help you make plateaus
Just cork the tang, no need for file handles that put your hand and control further back from the tool.
<<

fogcreature

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:34 am

Awesome man! I have so many questions as to how you determined the depths. I have an old mini yale rim cylinder and a key blank for it but no idea how to cut it or where to begin. As for hand files, the lowes brand kobalt mini hand files are ok, they come with a driver handle and all kobalt tools have free replacement if they break. That makes them worth it to me. When I have time I'll post the lock and request some instruction. Good job man I'm jealous
<<

Squelchtone

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:10 pm

fogcreature wrote:Awesome man! I have so many questions as to how you determined the depths. I have an old mini yale rim cylinder and a key blank for it but no idea how to cut it or where to begin. As for hand files, the lowes brand kobalt mini hand files are ok, they come with a driver handle and all kobalt tools have free replacement if they break. That makes them worth it to me. When I have time I'll post the lock and request some instruction. Good job man I'm jealous

This is my mini peanut Yale mortise cylinder, I picked it, then found a suitable blank and filed the key until all the pins were flush with the sheerline of the plug.

The file was from a Leader hobby file set I got at home depot for $10

happy key making!

Squelchtone
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Holy crap why I have I not thought of making a key with the plug. Thanks for the thought I have several locks that I have to key now. I should never read this stuff at work..now i have to think about this for the rest of the day.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:22 pm

There's really nothing like a Pippin file for shaping your cuts. When I was an apprentice, I measured each stroke of my filing with a mirometer, until I was consistent with each stroke of the file. Then I could calculate just how many file strokes it would take to get to my next depth.

One day while I was rekeying a large apartment complex, the maintenance men came and told me they lost the keys for a large Master padlock on a storage shed. The lock was only a day or two old. The code was still inked on the bottom of the lock. I called the shop for the cuts (This was long before computers and code software). I clipped a key blank in a vise grip; steadied it on the edge of the door frame, and cut the key, stopping where my calculated depths would be.

Although I expected to do some "Finishing touches" by impression, the key turned in the lock like new! I was impressed (but not surprised), and somewhat of a superhero to the maintenence guys.
Nemo Malus Felix
Next

Return to Key Making