FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Hand duplicating a key

<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:59 am

Hand duplicating a key

I'm sure that there are plenty of people here have done this before but, I'm looking for suggestions. I had to dupe a schlage everest c123 key quickly on scene. I got the key clamped the blank and original in set of vise grips together. Traced the profile onto the blank with a carbide tipped scribe and filed the bulk of the brass off. Fine tuned it by holding them up together to get the profiles exact. Looked perfect but the key did not work. Any ideas? It looked great perfect in fact. I was wondering if it could be the check pin. I thought that all c123 key blanks were created equal but I may be wrong.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:35 pm

Re: Hand duplicating a key

when i hand dup like that, I smoke the key while they are clamped together. Then I scribe with a sewing needle. Its much thinner and creates a more accurate outline. i file most of the brass away, then, I smoke the keys again just to see where there might be too much brass.
<<

m0ose

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Yeah, the few time's I've duplicated keys by hand I've always smoked them the same way sour says. It's about as accurate as you can get.
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:20 pm

If you have a digital caliper, you can measure the depth on the original to see if it matches the cuts on your copy. The check pin shouldn't be a problem since they're all in the same spot, and the Everest keys come with the necessary side/tip cut to lift it.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Kezo wrote:If you have a digital caliper, you can measure the depth on the original to see if it matches the cuts on your copy. The check pin shouldn't be a problem since they're all in the same spot, and the Everest keys come with the necessary side/tip cut to lift it.

:agree: That is the best option
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:22 pm

The sewing needle is a great idea sour; but what do you mean by " smoking the the key " ? I know it has to do with leaving soot or something on the blank, but how do you do it ? Do you use a candle , match, or will a lighter work ?

Oh, and a C123 blank is made from nickle silver , not brass .
<<

MrPharmer2012

Doctor... Contributor
Doctor... Contributor

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:08 pm

I agree Carry a Caliper with you and check it as you go. I made two Dup. Keys for my 5200's the other day with a caliper and some cheap harbor freight files, same files seen in my impressioning pictures with the master commercial #3 locks.
Two of the pics are original keys then my quick hand filed keys, I ended up removing the points between cuts because it made it easier with the crappy files I used.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:11 am

Calipers will be the key I think. Thanks. Has anyone had any experience with the digital ones from harbor freight? What is the best material to use to smoke a key?
-Albert Einstein
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:20 pm

gnarus8429 wrote:Calipers will be the key I think. Thanks. Has anyone had any experience with the digital ones from harbor freight? What is the best material to use to smoke a key?

use a bic to smoke the key or a tea candle
<<

MrPharmer2012

Doctor... Contributor
Doctor... Contributor

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:34 pm

mine is from Harbor Freight and looks like this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:59 pm

I bought the digital ones from Lowes. $30 and they are Kobalt brand so they have a lifetime guarantee.
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Great. Thanks equipped with my manual caliper files and scribing tool I cut a duplicate for my house. Worked perfect first try. I tried smoking but didn't get great results (not as sharp as I thought it would be). Given another shot at the same key I would still scribe but, would take some measurements as well if I have the give the original back quickly. That way I could fine tune it withe caliper measurements without the original. Thanks all for the ideas.
-Albert Einstein
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:14 pm

gnarus8429 wrote:Calipers will be the key I think. Thanks. Has anyone had any experience with the digital ones from harbor freight? What is the best material to use to smoke a key?

My digital caliper is from Harbor Freight and I love it. I've had it for a few years now and it has served me very well. It's pretty damn accurate for this type of use and it's inexpensive. You can get a good one for around $20 to $40. I forget how much mines was but I've never needed to get a replacement yet.
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:39 am

mdchurchill wrote:I bought the digital ones from Lowes. $30 and they are Kobalt brand so they have a lifetime guarantee.

i bought one of those with a coupon from lowes, it's nice!
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:01 pm

@ Pharmer

the points or peaks between the cuts make the key look complex, but they are just an artifact of the cutting wheel and there is only one reason not to cut them off.

if you look at the american lock that is last in the original photo lineup, you will see that that particular key setting on top of the lock is stepped down to the keytip.

if you cut all the peaks off of a key like this, you end up with a key that can be pulled out of the lock while the plug is turned, leaving the lock in a picked condition.

I once had an apartment key that was like this, One day I came home and noticed that my lock was apparently picked, but not in the direction to open, the plug was turned in the lockthedoor direction.
I realised that I had left the apartment and locked the door, then while turning away from the door with my mind already a few steps ahead of what I was doing, I pulled the key out and left the plug turned.

IF your cuts are not stepped down as the key to your american padlock is, you can cut the peaks all off and you will have a key that inserts and withdraws easily
Next

Return to Key Making