FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Key Cutting Machine

<<

Goldenboy68

Post Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:38 am

Key Cutting Machine

Hello, I am new here....Please be kind.

I am looking for some guidance & info on this key cutting machine. I may have an opportunity to acquire this old machine.
I have looked at it & can-not locate a model# or ID tag on the machine. But I believe it may be a Dominion Lock 145?
As seen in the pictures the cutter wheel is missing. Locating a replacement wheel has been a challenge for me.
There appears to be multiple sizes & styles of cutters. Some very thin & some thicker with a 45 deg angle. Will either work? Are there any spacers required?
My goal would be to make this machine operational for hobby purposes.
FYI, This machine has been sitting in my employers storage for many years with-out use. I do have some experience with cutting keys as I do use our newer Ilco key machine. Mostly I cut keys for the vehicles in our older fleet.

Thank you for any help or guidance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: Key Cutting Machine

The "style" of cutting wheel you get will be determined by the tracer. The cross section of the wheel should match the tracer. That looks suspiciously like Ilco vices on that machine. Did Ilco produce these for DL? Really any cutter that Fits the previous description will fit on the drive spindle will work. As far as spacer washers go, maybe? You will find out once the wheel is mounted. Worse case scenario, You won't be able to use the alignment guide and would have to adjust the blank by the tracer and cutter wheel.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:57 pm

Yes, it's a Dominion. Not sure if they got bought out.......Ilco? Just remember, the nut that holds the cutting wheel on the shaft is left hand thread.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

Goldenboy68

Post Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:34 pm

Thank-you for the info. Makes sense about the tracer. I will take a close look @ the tracer & get a cutting wheel to match. I appreciate the info.
Should I assume the the left hand threaded nut is available from the same place as the cutting wheel?
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:40 am

Always look at the jaws or vice that a machine as fitted
Are they going to clamp different size keys and profiles can
the jaws rotate around so you have a choice When buying a machine
Nope I'd pass on this machine as your going to upgrade in time when you find out
What I've said anyway ...it makes a big difference
Ok I guess if it's not going to cost much to fix up and learn the basics on
As for the Nut Question it's common for machines to have a standard locking nut
Opposite thread to the attached spinning deadly blade or tightened in a different direction otherwise the nut would
Become loose over time ... Giggles

have fun and stay safe wear eye protection

Ringo
<<

8core

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:45 pm

Here's a couple resources that you might find useful for determining an appropriate cutter wheel or parts numbers for Dominion Lock machines.

https://mysecuritypro.com/dominionkeymachineparts.aspx

On the last page of this pdf (page 30) there's a list of cutter wheels and their corresponding key machines that might be helpful when making your decision.

https://www.locksmithtoolandsupply.com/ ... chines.pdf
<<

Goldenboy68

Post Tue May 17, 2022 2:05 pm

Thank-you to all who helped & guided me. I now have a fully functional key cutting/duplicator machine in my garage. First test was a success!
I am now a self-proclaimed amature locksmith.
<<

Visitor

Post Wed May 18, 2022 1:50 am

Key cutter not locksmith lol, good going, you'll be making bump keys next lol.

Return to Key Making