FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Service that makes key from a photo

<<

Patrick Star

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:30 pm

Service that makes key from a photo

Surprised this haven't been brought up here before (yes, I used Search): https://www.key.me/
Apparently you take a photo of each side of the key with their smartphone app and they mail you a copy.
Anyone tried it? I assume it only works for standard pin tumblers, but does it work for rare/restricted profiles as well? What about Medeco?

Edit: Noticed that they say in the FAQ that they can copy "select Medeco keys". It also says:
Can I copy "Do Not duplicate" keys?

No, KeyMe should only be used for keys that you have the full rights to duplicate.

Which strikes me as odd since all(?) Medeco keys are stamped DO NOT DUPLICATE :)
<<

just1pick+open

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:28 pm

Re: Service that makes key from a photo

Their answer to is this legal.......

Marcello
We take security seriously. KeyMe is more secure than existing key duplication practices. All transactions are verified with a credit card. Additionally, we require email verification for mobile and fingerprint submissions for kiosks. :???:
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:45 pm

Thought before that I had posted on this here before. Well, here is what I had to say before"

These are meant to be used with the "KeyMe Kiosks". I suspect it would have severe limitations on what blanks were available at the kiosk.

According to the link you provided, you can send off for keys, which will then be mailed to you. Yeah, I'd just love to have a key to my house sitting in the mailbox. :? Though I suspect that the variety of blanks available by mail order would be much higher than at the kiosk.

Maybe I will download the app, and take a few random keys from my collection (instead of from my house!!!), and see how it works. If it seems to work, will see if I can crash the app by scanning a Fichet 750 key for the lock that arrived today. :twisted:

Will get back to this post with updates as I play around with it. Have Monday off, so maybe will have to stop by a few locksmiths and see if they will cut a key from the app.

Starting with American lock, to a mildly restricted Schlage, then a GEGE or EVVA. I want to see what kind of blank it says to use. :lol:

Ok, it has been almost an hour and a half. Sorry for keeping you waiting so long. :wink:

First, you have to set up an account with KeyMe. This entails providing an email address that they can send an email to you that you need to click using your portable device (phone, tablet, iPad, etcetera). I don't know if it will run on a laptop.

You are also required to submit a valid credit card number, expiration date, and security number from the back of the card (even before the confirmation email is sent).

Ok, account set up. So what next? Scan a key, of course! Went out and grabbed a key for an American padlock. Factory key, AM3. It even has the key bitting stamped right on the bow, so confirmation of their accuracy of determining the blank and bitting would be so easy, right? Not quite. :|

First, the key needs to be placed flat on a sheet of white paper. Then hold the phone camera about 4 inches from the key. It will give you hints. There is a red rectangle, not even sides. There is even a helpful arrow telling you which way to tip the camera. OH, cool, now it is a square rectangle.

The screen turns yellow, and tells you to hold the camera steady. Rock steady. Oops, gotta tip it back level. Ok, hold steady. Ah, tip it back again. Good, it is yellow again. Hold it steady. Darn it, even rocks arn't as steady as they want the camera held. Ok, put it on a couple of coffee cups to hold it steady. Oh, now it does not like that there is not just a key on a white surface. And the two cups, though identical in manufacture, model, color, and is level when a level is placed onto the two cups, are not able to hold the camera flat enough, so back to red non-equal-sided. Shim here to level it out. Now it wants the green rectangle to match the outer red triangle, because the key is now too far away.

After 5 minutes, I could hear the software click the camera, taking the shot. Whew! At least that part is over.

No, it is not over. Because now, of course, you need to flip over the key and take a picture of the other side. Re-read the past few paragraphs about 8 times. It saves me typing it again.

GOAL!!! :D We now have two pictures, one of each side of the key. Now type in the name for your key, and click "+ADD TO RING"

Now it says "We are analyzing your key. This usually takes 1-2 minutes. Ok, no problem. I can wait. Hey, about 15 seconds, it says "Under Review. Your key has some unusual features. An image expert is personally reviewing your key to ensure accurate analysis. :roll: an American AM3 with a bitting of 44274 has unusual features??? Oh, well. How long can it take to analyze that key?

Half an hour later, still no analysis.

Ok, maybe something a little easier. Schlage SC1. Again, a factory key with the cuts stamped right on the bow. 43438, to be precise. Again, this is not a lock in use, so not worried about posting the bitting. It only took about two minutes to scan both sides of this key! Keep this up, and might be able to do it in under a minute!

Named the key, clicked add to ring, and heeerrre we go! Immediately, it tells me that "we are analyzing your key..." about 10 seconds later, the message changes! Now it says "Under Review. Your key has some unusual features. An image expert... Yadda Yadda Yadda. You know the routine.

Still no identified key, aside from what I typed. Neither key, even one of the most common keys in the United States, has been identified, nor has the bitting been identified, even though their image expert should be able to see the bitting stamped right on the key bow of BOTH KEYS.

Maybe the image expert personally reviewing my key is trying to teach their seeing-eye-dog to identify keys.

For the sake of those who put up the money for this software, I hope the kiosks work better. Have decided not to waste my time scanning in a GEGE or BiLock. I was even hoping I could scan in the key from my LOB TUR1 (12 pin lock with a loooong key), and have then cut me a spare. :twisted: I'll give them a couple of days to identify the keys. After all, maybe these people are needing help with the unusual features found on factory blanks of common locks.

My overall review of this product...

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Five mad frowns.

Further update, and some pictures, on the KeyMe app.

Here is the first page of the app:

Requirements for setting up an account (required).

Yes, it can use the camera to scan in your credit card, though you have to manually enter in the expiration date and security number.

Ok, account is set up. After you log in, you see this:

Easy to read instructions. Easy to follow? In theory, yes. In reality, read my above post.

Scanning the key.

Red = "You have not got this right yet, moron. " Expect to see this a lot. :evil:

Hey, distance and angle are correct. Now hold it perfectly steady until your arms are sore.

Expect to see the above two pictures about 40 times. Once you have scanned in one side...

When you have both sides scanned...

Sounds good, right? Nope.

Next, I tried a standard Schlage, just to see the app work. Same thing.

Over a day later, there is finally a response! For the American Padlock key...

They have over 70% of keys, yet don't have this one???

Well, the Schlage key...

Well, now. Here is something. Let's see what is says...

What the heck? $10 to see the info, and it does not include cutting a key? Well, how about the nearest kiosk? Where is that located?

Wait a second!!! Hang on a moment. You are telling me that the nearest kiosk to Tucson, Arizona, United States is in New York City??? You are kidding, right? For those not as familiar with the size and geography of the United States of America, New York is at the red dot. Arizona is at the bottom left kf the United States. How far is that? Could I drive there in an hour and get a key?

Nope. Could hardly drive to the airport in an hour, let alone fly over 2100 miles (over 3400 kilometers).

This seems a pretty expensive alternative.

My rating remains...

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

So there you see a review of the KeyMe App.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

just1pick+open

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Awesome Gordon as usual! Above and beyond. Thanks :mrgreen:
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:05 am

Gordon, you made my day with this review. If I ever make an app I'll ask you to test and review it.

Cheers :)

Return to Key Making