FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Make your own bit and barrel blanks (pretty easily)

<<

LockButcher

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:36 pm

Make your own bit and barrel blanks (pretty easily)

I've had this idea for a long time. I'm not sure if it's been done or not. But I wanted to make a bit and barrel key but don't have all the tools to make them like the pro's. No lathe or mill like you see a lot of the guys use to make the beautiful keys you see right here on KeyPicking. So I used some very easy to find tools for most locksporters. A vice, screw driver, hammer and some files are only tools you NEED, granted a saw or a dremel would make it go a lot faster. I just wanted to try just to use as few common tools that most of us would have access to. The only thing I didn't have was a piece of copper tube. Which isn't too pricey and is available at most hardware stores.

Here is the almost finished product. I still need to cut it to length and put a bow on it. But aside from some cosmetic features the key is working and I think it would work for a long time. It only takes a little more than a half hour to get to where I am in the pictures. I hope this helps some people bring some of these amazing antique locks back to life.

20160720_231639.jpg

Screenshot_20160723-183319.png

I also made a "how to" video on my YouTube channel .

https://youtu.be/OLwMrwYJWNI

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

escher7

Post Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:07 pm

Re: Make your own bit and barrel blanks (pretty easily)

Lauren makes his great keys with little more than a drill press. Check out his posts.
<<

LockButcher

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:12 pm

Yes he is one of pro's here on KeyPicking I'm referring to. Haha Amazing craftsmanship! I'm a huge fan of his work. Although I have a few friends in Locksport that don't even have access to even a drill press so this makes it that much more of an option for them.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:06 pm

Have used that method to make a number of bit and barrel keys. It works well as long as the lock does not require too much force to open.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

LockButcher

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:10 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Have used that method to make a number of bit and barrel keys. It works well as long as the lock does not require too much force to open.

Gordon

You sir are another one of the pro's I was referring to. Haha. I figured I wasn't the first to come up with that. And you are right about that but I've had pretty good results with the strength testing I've done.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:42 am

Couple of times I have cut the key shape and key cuts on a lathe and then just milled the shape of the end of the key on it from the "round key blank". Works well and is very sturdy as it is all one piece :)

Return to Key Making