FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What's a good laser key cutting machine ?

<<

Anthony

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:20 pm

What's a good laser key cutting machine ?

Looking to buy a laser cutting machine but not sure
About what to buy
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:20 pm

Re: What's a good laser key cutting machine ?

How many lasers do you intend to cut? And what kind? CO2? YAG? LED?

Actually a serious question - do you intend to do code cutting or duplicating? The machine requirements are different. Can't use D&S keys for a laser/sidewinder machine.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Anthony

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Code cutting. I found some around a couple
Grand but I couldn't find any reviews on them
<<

Anthony

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:28 pm

The SEC E9 looks like a good by
but I don't no alot about these machines
I just ran across them watching locksmith videos
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:01 pm

Well its generally the one I am stood at - laser key cutting requires a bit of skill and the machine will not do all the work

any machine made by silca - will give you many years of service if looked after and maintained
<<

Anthony

Post Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:02 pm

Thanks I will check it out
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:41 pm

I heard of a machine that will decode your original key and then cut it by code. Also heard it was really really expensive.

I've been thinking of switching locksmith companies to work at an automotive locksmith company. I love to work on cars.

CLH!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

Anthony

Post Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:10 am

I don't have a business or anything I just want a affordable machine I can learn on. I still have tons to learn .
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:09 am

Anthony wrote:I don't have a business or anything I just want a affordable machine I can learn on. I still have tons to learn .

I am a hobbyist, and my opinion is you could learn a lot using manual machines such as the HPC Blitz or the Framon 2 machine. I like that with the Framon machine, you're dialing in the actual measurements - there's a bit more thinkng and work with it, but if you have to do something unusual, it's a lot easier to do it with that machine. Since I'm not originating keys for vehicles or vending machines or high security locks, I didn't purchase a machine with that capability.

I have a pak-a-punch too - it's handy, but I think you learn more by actually cutting keys to particular measurements. My pak-a-punch is great for Schlage keys, but for Best A2 I've had to file the keys to get them into tolerance. Also, you are only able to cut keys you have jigs for. HPC has a punch, but I think it's only suitable for certain blanks.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:39 pm

tpark wrote:
Anthony wrote:I don't have a business or anything I just want a affordable machine I can learn on. I still have tons to learn .

I am a hobbyist, and my opinion is you could learn a lot using manual machines such as the HPC Blitz or the Framon 2 machine. I like that with the Framon machine, you're dialing in the actual measurements - there's a bit more thinkng and work with it, but if you have to do something unusual, it's a lot easier to do it with that machine. Since I'm not originating keys for vehicles or vending machines or high security locks, I didn't purchase a machine with that capability.

I have a pak-a-punch too - it's handy, but I think you learn more by actually cutting keys to particular measurements. My pak-a-punch is great for Schlage keys, but for Best A2 I've had to file the keys to get them into tolerance. Also, you are only able to cut keys you have jigs for. HPC has a punch, but I think it's only suitable for certain blanks.

But the HPC Blitz and Framon 2 do not cut sidewinder or laser keys.

Framon does make a Sidewinder key machine, but am not familiar with it.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:01 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:
tpark wrote:

But the HPC Blitz and Framon 2 do not cut sidewinder or laser keys.

Framon does make a Sidewinder key machine, but am not familiar with it.

Gordon

You are absolutely correct, and I should have paid better attention to the title of the original thread. I was focused on the "affordable machine I can learn on" vs. the "laser" part.

--Ted.

edit: That should be "the original title of the thread"
<<

Anthony

Post Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:38 pm

Framon Sidewinder 2 High Security is the machine I decided on. I did check out the Pak a punch
Also and that looks like something I will buy to. Thanks guys for all your help

Return to Key Making