FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

dominion lock key machine

<<

Anarchy_won

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:14 pm

dominion lock key machine

I just acquired a dominion lock key machine Model KMU and I was wondering if a manual exist's for it. or nudge in the right direction on what maintenance I should be doing on it.

(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

escher7

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:13 am

Re: dominion lock key machine

Vacuum to start, followed by windex and a paper towel. I see at least one oil cap on the mandrel and (?) one or two on the motor. Oil well with machine oil (even 3 in 1 will do). Then check cutter to make sure it's sharp and functional (try cutting a key). Replace if necessary. Cutting a key will also tell you if the alignment is correct.
I notice one screw (wing nut) is a crude replacement which you may want to get a proper part for. It looks generic so a new one should be easy to find. Of course when cleaning, the vises should be disassembled and oiled etc.
I don't own a cutter but this is common sense which I apply to every tool I restore.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:24 am

Did some preliminary huntingbut Dominion has been defunct since 1985 at which time is was bought by ILCO-UNICAN which is now KABA-ILCO. I did find some discontinued key machine manuals on the KABA-ILCO site but nothing by Dominion as far as I can tell unless ILCO rebranded that model which is highly doubtful for a discontinued key machine.

Anyhow browse through the link and you may find an equivalent machine. Meanwhile I'll keep hunting.
http://www.kaba-ilco.com/key-systems/li ... loads.html
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:12 am

Thanks for the info guys, after I posted I could not stand the though there was rust on something in my shop so I ended up wiping it down with oil and taking the jaws apart and cleaning them. there are 3 oilers (2 on the motor 1 on the main barring for the cutter) I have some 3 in 1 Oil for Electric motor and a detergent free Oil for the other.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:17 pm

little update: the cord end was broken so I went to replace it and all the insulation was broken and crumbling, So now I am re-wiring with whole unit.
<<

pmaxey83

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:43 pm

Epic pick up! Good job Aw!!!
jeffmoss26: pardon my ignorance to the real world, but what started all this mess in B'more
jeffmoss26: it's bad enough that city has the Ravens

(14:36:27) MBI: I was here for 2 seconds once.
(14:36:27) MBI: kthxbai
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:53 pm

Thanks Pmaxey :) I have it running now, it took 9 blanks but its all calibrated ( to the point where if i cut up to a 4th Gen key and it works )
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:53 am

Wow that one huge motor for a basic key machine lol
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:39 am

Gleb, it's basically the same as my Cole machine:
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:05 pm

Well after a few hours and dozens of searches I found absolutely nothing on your machine AW. Glad to hear you have it up and running though.

<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:08 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:Gleb, it's basically the same as my Cole machine:

Jeff it does look virtually identical. Prabaly made by the same manufacturer whether that's Cole, Dominion or a third party I have no idea.

<<

Anarchy_won

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:25 pm

The Dominion machine was made in Montreal. Dominion Locks was a Crown asset at one point (Gov owned)
<<

Hugo Martel

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:45 am

Anarchy_won wrote:The Dominion machine was made in Montreal. Dominion Locks was a Crown asset at one point (Gov owned)

I have an identic machine, mine need new bushings

Hugo Martel :circlip:
Random wrote: Here is my tip of the day "Do not fart while wearing overalls".
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:32 pm

Hugo, let me know where/if you find parts for it i need a replacement wire wheel if it had one (it looks like it should have one like jeff's) and a spare set of bushings and a new cutter would not be a bad idea (my machine has cut upwards of 300 blanks since I got it)
<<

Hugo Martel

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:38 pm

Anarchy_won wrote:Hugo, let me know where/if you find parts for it i need a replacement wire wheel if it had one (it looks like it should have one like jeff's) and a spare set of bushings and a new cutter would not be a bad idea (my machine has cut upwards of 300 blanks since I got it)

300blanks isnt much, my cutter was chipped, so I remplaced it with a cu20 curtis cutter, larger diameter so its faster. New bushings custom made by a machinist (20$ ~) and a new belt for 4$ at the hardware store, I even converted it into a semi automatic key machine, If you want more info about my conversion, let me know by pm

Hugo Martel. :circlip:
Random wrote: Here is my tip of the day "Do not fart while wearing overalls".

Return to Key Making