FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Machine Adjustments

<<

jacobbiljo

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:13 am

Machine Adjustments

I just finished rewiring my automatic key duplicator and now I've finally cut my first key on it. It seems to be cutting the face of the key on an angle.
With this type of machine it looks like all forms of adjustability are in the motor mounts. Before I go loosening these bolts and loose any type of alignment I already have, does anyone have some words of wisdom or a guide for doing this. It's the same physical machine as the Wenxings that seem to be popular.
My two options for adjustment seem to be adding washers under the motor or sliding the motor back away from the carriage so the key reaches closer to vertical.
<<

jacobbiljo

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:32 pm

Re: Machine Adjustments

I spent three hours today cleaning the whole machine and got the cutter height adjusted. I was skeptical that piling on washers was the correct method but in the end it worked just fine.
First I had to add 1 washer per standoff to get the motor at the right height. With that done and as square as I could get it, I had to move onto the next part, the automatic cam. Moving the motor put this out of alignment so I made 2 u shaped washers with a hack saw and added them under the mount. The u shape was so I could adjust it up without loosing the rest of the washer stack.
Last I had to shim up the hand crank. This was rather fussy probably because it was the easiest to feel the fit.
With that done and a readjustment of the shoulder gauge and stop the machine can now cut to 5 copy's on a Schlage SC1.

In the process of disassembly and cleaning I also added a nice black handle so I have better control of the carriage.

Next up is to add a switch to leave the motor running and make a foam padded box to transport it.

Hopefully someone else can use this info for their cheap Chinese machine.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:13 pm

Re: Machine Adjustments

having that handle on carriage is a godsend.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976

Return to Key Making