FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

How to mill keyways?

<<

Korver15

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:27 pm

How to mill keyways?

So I have been wondering this for a while, but how do they cut the detailed keyways in plugs? It is too small to use an endmill and I wouldnt think think you could laser cut (maybe that is it)? Anyone have any insight?
Last edited by Korver15 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
A wise man once told me I was a unique person. Just like everyone else. Korver15 Channel
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:27 pm

Re: How do mill keyways?

you can do it with a Wire EDM machine.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:31 pm

How do they cut keyways into lock plugs? They use a broaching machine. The broach is in the shape of the keyway and the plug is forced over it.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:39 am

^ What he said + the broaches are now (the ones I have seen) about a metre long. It's very interesting to see.
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:12 am

Barry Wels made a very interesting video on this , when Toool visited Ankerslot factory

"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:27 am

I have always wondered the same and couldnt find any videos on yt. I always thought they extrude it. Thank so much for the video, its very interesting to see how fast this machine used 14 or 16 cutters
<<

Korver15

Familiar Face

Post Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:37 am

OHHH that's so cool! So it progressively cuts with each tooth being more of the keyway and the keyway is the profile of the teeth. Thats awesome, thanks for the replies
A wise man once told me I was a unique person. Just like everyone else. Korver15 Channel
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:04 pm

Re: How to mill keyways?

Yep.

Except for the super-cheap zinc lock cores. Those are usually cast from molten zinc alloys. Usually with very simple keyways like M1 and KW1.

Also some cheap locks like postal locks can have cores that are pressure-cast from powdered Zamak or similar zinc alloys. I don't remember the correct industry term for the process. Basically instead of melting the zinc into a liquid they take powdered metal like zinc, pour a specific weight of it into the mold where it is compressed under high pressure until it more or less fuses together, then it's usually nickel plated to look nicer.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:38 pm

MBI wrote:Yep.

Except for the super-cheap zinc lock cores. Those are usually cast from molten zinc alloys. Usually with very simple keyways like M1 and KW1.

Also some cheap locks like postal locks can have cores that are pressure-cast from powdered Zamak or similar zinc alloys. I don't remember the correct industry term for the process. Basically instead of melting the zinc into a liquid they take powdered metal like zinc, pour a specific weight of it into the mold where it is compressed under high pressure until it more or less fuses together, then it's usually nickel plated to look nicer.

Sintering :)
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:16 pm

Thanks Jaakko. The word was on the tip of my tongue and I just couldn't recall what it was.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:32 pm

They use a 'wobble broach'. I would very much like to have one for my mill. All manner of shapes can be cut then. They are pretty expensive though.

Return to Key Making