FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

General key machine questions.

<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:42 pm

General key machine questions.

What kind of mounting do you use for key machines? I was thinking of taking my duplicator and mounting it to a piece of plywood with rubber feet, that way I could transport it easily, but it would still be mounted to something for when I actually wanted to cut keys. What brands are best? I bought an HPC Mini Speedex, it seems to work well, but maybe some brands are better. I have an old National Key duplicator and it sucked, but it turned out to work well once I replaced the cutter.

What equipment do you use for code cutting? For my hobby type activities, the Pak-a-Punch seems to work well enough, but other machines like the HPC Blitz seem to be more versatile, but more time consuming per key. Are these machines worth the investment?

Thanks!
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: General key machine questions.

My Speedex is mounted similar to how you're suggesting - bolted to an MDF base with 2x4 footers. It resides in my bench, but I leave it mounted like this to give me a degree of portability.

As for code cutting...I'd love a Blitz, but for now it's S&D keys :)
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:15 am

Robotnik wrote:My Speedex is mounted similar to how you're suggesting - bolted to an MDF base with 2x4 footers. It resides in my bench, but I leave it mounted like this to give me a degree of portability.

As for code cutting...I'd love a Blitz, but for now it's S&D keys :)

The 2x4's are a good idea - I may do that too.
I had toyed with the idea of creating space and depth keys where only alternate depths were cut - that way you could use the ramp area to the uncut pin location to create the proper slope on the key. You would need two keys per depth, but that could be quicker than cutting the depths then filing.
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:38 am

tpark wrote:What equipment do you use for code cutting? For my hobby type activities, the Pak-a-Punch seems to work well enough, but other machines like the HPC Blitz seem to be more versatile, but more time consuming per key. Are these machines worth the investment?

For a hobbyist buying a code machine seems excessive, at least to me. But you may have more money to dump into your hobbies than I do :)

That said, I wholeheartedly endorse the Blitz as a wonderful easy to use machine. However, if you are looking for maximum versatility and have the soul of a craftsman than I would suggest the Framon #2. Not as elegantly simple as the HPC machine, this beast gives you micrometers, XY wheels and a Depth & Space Manual. I actually just got one a few weeks ago as a replacement for my computer-controlled machine and I couldn't be happier. This is also the only machine (I think) that can cut Medeco out of the box without any extra parts and pieces

https://youtu.be/Fdf1x44_nhk
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:01 am

Only 1 problem with the framon - keys such as the Toyota toy43 - toy41 head of keys bind on crank handle

one solution you can mod the handle - BUT you still have to remove flip blades from the remote mech - before cutting

Got the tibbe attachment for the framon with cutting wheel - open to offers like new only used a few times as I have

the dedicated machine - for ford - jaguar - See old post framon 2
<<

TeamStarlet

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:53 pm

I have a very basic Foley-Belsaw Model 200 that I mounted on some oak... it's nice and heavy/solid, and has some large rubber feet which reduce vibrations and increase the grip.

<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:12 pm

dmasters wrote:
tpark wrote:What equipment do you use for code cutting? For my hobby type activities, the Pak-a-Punch seems to work well enough, but other machines like the HPC Blitz seem to be more versatile, but more time consuming per key. Are these machines worth the investment?

For a hobbyist buying a code machine seems excessive, at least to me. But you may have more money to dump into your hobbies than I do :)

That said, I wholeheartedly endorse the Blitz as a wonderful easy to use machine. However, if you are looking for maximum versatility and have the soul of a craftsman than I would suggest the Framon #2. Not as elegantly simple as the HPC machine, this beast gives you micrometers, XY wheels and a Depth & Space Manual. I actually just got one a few weeks ago as a replacement for my computer-controlled machine and I couldn't be happier. This is also the only machine (I think) that can cut Medeco out of the box without any extra parts and pieces

https://youtu.be/Fdf1x44_nhk

It sounds like you're happy with that hardware. I had a look at the Framon machine, and it looks pretty good. The thing that I like is that it's measurement based - if you need special jigs to cut keys, it's very limiting. The Pak-a-punch is great, but it can really only do preset depths and spacing which is great if you have the pieces, but if you need depths/spacing for different locks, it's problematic. I've made good Best SFIC, Schlage, and Master lock keys with it, but as I get other locks I might want to make keys for them. I can hand cut keys with a file if I need to, but the machine is faster.
<<

Rumball Solutions

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:11 am

It's a fairly extreme setup for a hobbyist (I don't locksmith anymore, I have another job and locksmith as a hobby).

Manual duplicators for cylinder (interchangeable cutter for bit/lever keys) and track keys.

An Exacta key punch for knocking out basic keys when out and about or impressioning (or too lazy to turn on the ITL)

ITL 950 for code cutting just about everything. I have it hooked up to a dedicated laptop so I can send the cuts directly from Instacode to the machine. That way I don't have to worry about table numbers etc. The laptop is mounted on a shelf up on the right as the machines throw shavings which will kill laptop.

Tubular code cutter is on the wish list :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:28 pm

Rumball Solutions - you have a cool key cutting setup, I bet there are some locksmiths that don't have that level of equipment.
<<

Rumball Solutions

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:49 am

tpark wrote:Rumball Solutions - you have a cool key cutting setup, I bet there are some locksmiths that don't have that level of equipment.

This is really the very base level of equipment required to work as a locksmith these days. Here in Australia, spending $10-20K on a computerized code cutting machine is not unusual.

Even a Blitz/1200 runs between $2500 and $5000 set up, depending on new or used.

We're a captive market that is small in size. Suppliers use this as an excuse to mark up prices horrendously!

Return to Key Making