FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Boat key

<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:36 pm

Boat key

I got the photos ass backwards so bear with me. I was at a Restore Center a few days ago looking for fresh inventory as I usually do every couple weeks. First time I had ever seen a boat at this site so I asked about it. A guy said it came in a few days earlier. It needs a LOT of work. They wanted to see if the 75 HP Evinrude would start but they said the donor can't find the key. Well, that's all it took. I said that if they would remove the switch I would make a key for it. That's just what I did. First step was to determine the correct key blank. The B1, B2,B5,B6,B10,B11,Y10,Y13,Y14 all fit easily in the keyway. I narrowed it down to the B1 and B5. I chose the B1. Next I tried some original BASCO previously cut keys.None turned the switch. I then went to my set of 64 B10 try-out keys. The 8th key I tried turned the switch. So far, so good. Next would be taking the try-out key (6 cut) and transferring it to the B1 blank (5 cut). I put the B1 in the far right jaws until its bottom shoulder rested firmly against the jaw clamp. I placed the B10 try-out key in the left jaw and bumped it against the far left key gauge. Because the try-out key is a 6 cut and the working key will be a 5 cut I need to move the B10 key one cut to the left in the clamp and then tighten the clamp. The distance I moved the B10 key was approximately 1/16th" (+ or - a wispy black CH). The 1/16th" difference equaled to what the B10 key petruded from the keyway of the switch. I didn't gauge the keys from their tips because the angle of each key's tip differed. I cut two working keys on the Mini Speedex and used aluminum blanks. The key rack in photos is a 1950s Curtis key rack. More keys are on back. I hope this wasn't too wordy and got the meaning across.
DSCI0100.JPG
DSCI0093.JPG
DSCI0098.JPG
DSCI0095.JPG
DSCI0097.JPG
DSCI0102.JPG
DSCI0101.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:00 am

Re: Boat key

Nice job, and good way to earn good karma helping out your local Restore!

Did the motor start?
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:07 am

don't know yet. did not stay for switch installation. will check later.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:02 pm

Well that was nice of you to take care of that for them.
Thanks for posting your process.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:57 pm

what the heck. i've bought and donated items at that store .what did it cost......a very little amount of time and a little gas. plus, it was fun. with the key they'll have that much more of a chance to hopefully make something off the boat. it had been a long time since my last boat key.

Return to Key Making