FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

HPC Blitz Code Cutting Machine: Jewel or Junk?

<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:43 am

HPC Blitz Code Cutting Machine: Jewel or Junk?

I recently had the pleasure of using an HPC Blitz code cutting machine, or so I thought. I was very excited to have access to this machine because now I can code cut keys to all of my American padlocks as well as make challenge bitted keys for my challenge locks. For those that aren’t familiar with this machine, it requires code cards for each lock manufacturer, the cards have marks for each space and depth and turning 2 knobs you control the space and depth stopping on the marks on those cards.

So I ran home to get the bitting using the S&D keys previously provided by the Goblin and ran back to the shop to let the brass shavings fly. Many blanks and cuts later I had up with code cut keys to all of my American locks so it was time to test them. Got hone and learned that none of the keys worked. With some wiggling I was able to get 1 key to turn but it was rough which means the cuts were too high. Brushed it off as my own errors as this was the first time I used this machine, I ran back to the shop and re-cut all of the same keys which also did NOT work. Thinking more about this machine I realized that it is not accurate and not by a long shot. If you turn the knobs a hair less or more your cut or space will be off and we all know that even 1 cut short means the plug will not turn. When turning the knobs you stop as the marks on the card so if you are standing more to the left looking right, your cuts will all be too high and if you are standing right of the machine looking left then your cuts will all be too low so technically speaking this is hand cutting. In conclusion this machine is cool but way over priced for hand cutting. If I am not mistaken the best bet would be a punch machine as it costs a fraction of the HPC, it is much smaller and thus portable, it requires no electricity, and most important it is accurate!

Gents, if you have any experience with this machine please let me know what I am doing wrong because this machine has to much hype I am having a hard time believing that it’s the machine and not me.
<<

darksim905

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:49 am

Re: HPC Blitz Code Cutting Machine: Jewel or Junk?

Did you buy this machine new or used? Is the cutter in good order? I'd ask a locksmith who actually owns one about it. There's probably an alignment issue or something else. If you have a working key & know what the cuts should be, it should work fine. Also, are you doing the cuts properly?
<<

Altashot

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:20 am

I used one for many years and loved it. I am aware that some cards were a little off but the beauty of it is that you can tweak
your cuts for perfect operation, you just need to know your machine. there is also some adjustment on the carriage that may need some attention...?
keep using it, maybe try cutting Weiser or master and see how they work, I mean, if can't cut a weiser key that works, your machine needs adjusting.
Did you get the calibration tools with it?

M.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:49 am

Is it perfect? No.
Is it a good quality design capable of excellent accuracy, enough that it's basically become the industry standard code cutter in the US? In my opinion, yes.

There is a potential for operator error if you don't clamp the key blank properly, use the right cutting wheel, don't seat the card properly, or dial the needles accurately. Also, if the machine has received a few hard knocks or hasn't been calibrated in a long time, it won't be accurate until that situation is corrected.

I like the versatility of being able to control my cuts. Go just a tiny bit deeper or shallower if I need to for some reason. It's easy as pie to do half cuts if you're doing something like making Marshal keys. It'll also do angled cuts if you're cutting Medeco keys.

It's not a perfect machine but if you maintain it properly it should serve you well. If you're thinking of switching to a punch, a lot of them tend to be less accurate. If you buy a used Blitz and it's beat up the factory will recondition it for you for a reasonable cost.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:55 am

My locksmith friend has 2 of them in his shop and the one I was using is practically brand new. Its been used 10x and 3 of those times was by me. It is not the daily machine and in fact it is stored on a shelf in its original box with everything that comes with it included.

Altashot, I feel what your saying with getting to know the machine but its still such a disappointment. I will check the cards that are with that machine. I also want to try cutting on his other Blitz machine to see how that one works out. Maybe something does need to be aligned but I am sure nothing was touched outside of factory. The first thing I did with the machine was check if it work, I had a ilco SC mortise with 2 keys with code stamped so I cut a key to that code and it works flawlessly.

MBI, I made sure to use the right clamp and right cutter before each use. I agree this machine is in every shop and that is why I said its my error not so the machine. Thanks for the punch info because I have never tried one nor heard any feedback on them aside from a few vids on youtube.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:36 am

It's pretty much the industry workhorse code machine - they have two of them in the shop here that get used daily.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:33 pm

All of these reason is exactly why I thought it was me and not so much the machine. I also thought perhaps the S&D keys I have may be off but that doesnt seems to make sense to me.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:56 pm

I got very lucky and had a great deal fall into my lap. I got a pretty much brand new machine with all the cards and the standard two wheels plus the CW90 for cutting SFIC. It cuts very accurately. As everyone else has said there is potential for all kinds of errors. You have to have the right wheel mounted, the card properly seated, the right jaw as well. And also the calibration could be off. They sell a calibration kit for about $65. It will either calibrate or you will have to send it in for factory service.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:15 pm

I've been telling you folks how much I like my Framon. You don't need cards, as you use calibrated dials to select depth and spacing, and if it needs adjustment all you need is a micrometer. No worries about cards, bent indicator needles and blind adjustments. And if you have never tried one, just as fast.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:04 pm

Ok so lots of repeats but MDC gave some good info as I was about to ask about calibration, the kit is $65? will need to see what the kit includes just for personal info but is it possible to do so yourself?

How about actual tips on cutting the keys? Again the machine comes with 3 new blades that look new to me, 2 Jaws that I have used but may be more, and it has not been used aside from being a dust collector. Now that is not to say my information is not totally wrong but lets assume I am right, I acknowledge i did NOT check to see the cards were in right either of the times I used the machine. I just stuck one in and as it fell in on its own I started to cut. Keep in mind the cuts come out higher then they should. Yesterday I lightly ran a file on each cut and the key started to work baby butt smooth.
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:26 pm

Have you cut a key and tested it in a plug that's been taken out of its cylinder, so that you can see what's going on with the pins?
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:55 pm

Papa are you looking to purchase this machine? If so I missed that part. If it is in fact near new, it will be an adjustment issue. If this fella has 2 machines he should have 2 sets of directions. In those you will find how to adjust this critter. It should also come with a couple of wrenches, but you can substitute an open end. Without the set up kit there is a bit of guess work, but you'll be fine. God luck. P.S. If you do purchase it, remember to check it after you move it also.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

socaldevin

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:30 pm

i would highly recommend checking the calibration. i was the first person hired at the company i currently work for. my boss bought two 1200's brand new and both needed work right out the box. one just needed to be recalibrated (my guess from shipping) and the other needed to be sent back to the factory (free of charge) to have the jaw reattached in the correct position because it didn't have the the full travel of depth.
<<

Altashot

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:43 am

You mentioned that you're pretty sure no one has tried to adjust it since new...
...I've never seen a machine set up properly from new, they always need tweaking by the end user.
At the factory, they only prove that it can cut good keys, but it's up to you to tweak it to it's best set up.

I use an ITL now but I remember the HPC and used it a lot. I feel, as well as other locksmiths I know, that the Sargent card for example, is a little off for
newer systems but works well with older ones...I knew that, and I knew that I needed to cut the depth just past the line...i got to know my machine.

If it's badly out of calibration, it will never work well. this machine is capable of more or less 3 thousandths accuracy. It's worth trying to get it calibrated,
and get familiar with it's quirks. This is a machine that will give you many years of service and with use, you will realize what it's capable of.

The thing I liked most, was that I was never bound by the pre set calibrations of digital machines, but with the 1200, I found that you can make any kind of adjustments
between increments using those good old fashion manual cranks. An infinity of settings between each settings, if you will.

I had the HPC punch too in my van, not quite as good as the blitz, but pretty damn good, considering the large thermal differences it was subjected to
here in western Canada. Again, I learnt the particuliarities of this machine too and I must say that it served me well.

Keep trying, your machine probably only needs to be adjusted.
Once it's set up, you will love it.

M.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:57 am

Ok gents i officially retract all of my previous negative thoughts about this machine. My locksmith buddy confirmed the machine is almost brand new but more importantly he stated that the higher in security and tolerances you go the less accurate the machine will get which makes complete sense to me.

Thanks to Mr. Moss who provided his decoding services I was able to cut keys to the correct bitting for 2 of my new Yales. My guy didnt have the originals in the keyway I needed for one of these locks so I will mod the next closets to make sure both of these have original yale keys :).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Next

Return to Key Making