FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Anyone know?

<<

Rlhelms57

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:17 pm

Anyone know?

I am putting together a code cutting book for my foley belsaw 200 I have compiled a lot of space and depth key data, but with the foley system you need to rock the space micrometer left and right to cut a seat for the pins. What I am doing is to write my own code book so that all you have to do is plunge the cut and slide it the distance of the seat.

For instance on a Kwikset lock each cut area is .084 wide. The first one cut near the bow starts at .247. So is start the cut at .205, or .042 early, and slide the cut to .289 or .042 after.

What I am looking for is the specs on many other locks as to what the cut widths are so the code cuts look factory.

So far I have Schlage, Kwikset, Weiser, Weslock, and two or three more. Some I have had to guess at. Also the specs on the key blanks would be nice. Some do not list the zero cuts and as some keys the no. 1 cut is not always a full cut depth as the rest are. Kwikset has a .007 1st cut, the rest are .023 each.

Any help appreciated, and will certainly share the results with any who want it.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Anyone know?

Might be some helpful data here http://www.hpcworld.com/dsd/
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Rlhelms57

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:13 pm

That is a ton of information, but no information about cut width, or the key blank zero spec
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:24 am

Thanks Riyame - down loaded that myself - looks up to date stuff
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:36 am

key info.JPG

So you're looking for something like this chart?
Has total blade width
which is equal to a "Zero"(could measure key blank with calipers)
Zero in most cases equals "no cut".
contains width of cut and angles.
MACS
Got this chart off Keypicking, Somewhere.?
Would be great if I could get the link to the web site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Rlhelms57

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:10 pm

Yeah I found one of those for Kwikset and one for Schlage. Can't find others. If you have a blank you can measure for sure, but I do not have every blank at the moment. Some blanks like Schlage start at .335 and each cut is .015 off that, but as mentioned some blanks like Kwikset which also is .335 uncut, but the first cut is .007, and the rest are .023 from there.

Then there are keys like best that the cuts are .0125, and most charts show them as .013 .025 .038 alternating 12 and 13.

I imagine that with most locks .001 does not matter.

One thing I was thinking on is that most typical lock pins are .115 diameter so the radius for that would be approx .0575 or so. Then factor in that the bottom end of a bottom pin is tapered, and the cut is at an angle as well, you can estimate the needed seat area.So a pin seat or cut width of somewhere around .060, or .030 to each side of the cut should work of most typical locks
<<

Rlhelms57

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:22 pm

<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:26 pm

Here's a site I found hope it helps you out.
http://www.locksafesystems.com/depth_and_space.htm
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:08 pm

Jharvee, your picture came out of the Corbin Russwin cylinder manual...they had a run of residential locks that used a KW1 blank. Everything else in that book will only pertain to Corbin or Russwin. Some mighty helpful stuff though!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:44 pm

Thanks for the info, Corbin does nice work. I was hoping this sheet was from a book of many manufacturers.
I have my eye on a HPC 1200, just out of reach.
<<

Rlhelms57

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:15 pm

Yeah that is a good site, it gives me several missing "zero" blank sizes. Still does not have the cut widths though but I believe you can estimate most of those as we already know the pins diameters so we can work off that.

Thanks a lot when I get the code book finished I will post it.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:39 am

Rlhelms57 wrote:Yeah that is a good site, it gives me several missing "zero" blank sizes. Still does not have the cut widths though but I believe you can estimate most of those as we already know the pins diameters so we can work off that.

Thanks a lot when I get the code book finished I will post it.

It doesn't always list cut width because is assumes you're using a key cutting wheel on a key machine. Code cards generally tell you which number wheel to use. Just look up the specs for that wheel number, it'll tell you what the width of the flat at the bottom of the cut is and the angle of the cut. For example, on the Kwikset picture above, the cut width is .335" and the angle is 90 degrees. The majority of common keys (at least in the US and Canada) are cut with one of two different wheels (most household keys with one, most auto and cabinet keys with the other). SFIC and many high security locks are a few of the times when you might need different cut profiles.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:31 pm

Your formula isn't taking into consideration the width of your cutter. Widening the entire width will leave the cutter width "overhanging" each side of the cut by 1/2 that measurement. If you want a factory look, mind the total dimentions of your cutter! Good luck with this project, some of these measurements are going to be hard to come by.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Rlhelms57

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:42 pm

I am using the foley belsaw cutter https://shop-foley-belsaw.com/foley/COD ... 26011.prod Which the tip of blade is rather narrow, in fact it comes to a sharp point. So when I use my formula it looks almost exactly like a factory key. Taking into consideration your point, maybe a cutter blade with a wider cutting tip would simplify a lot of this.
<<

Rlhelms57

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:06 pm

Okay so at Brockhage I can get a 100 deg cutter with a center cut width of .046 with should be right on for most universal pins, and only require about a rock of 5 to 7 on Weslock, and Kwikset. Then it appears a good 90 degree cutter for kaba, best, etc would round me out a bit.

Return to Key Making