FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need Key Blank Help - YALE

<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Need Key Blank Help - YALE

Hello gents,

A recent package rec'd from The Picker (big thanks again) had this antique beautiful Yale that I'm very excited to own. It gave me a little trouble at first with a missing tail piece but as you can see everything is fixed, cleaned, tail added and fully pins (added 6th pin) however the key appears to be a close match or part of their master key system but I want the original keyway key just because its not your common Y1 keyway. I looked at Ilco's cataloge and found 998GD to be the best visual match but there is also 998SD and 998TD which are a bit different.

Does anyone know what the correct key blank for this lock is?

PS Note the picture of the front wont help as the warding has disappeared and the picture of the back has to be reversed to get the keyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:31 pm

Re: Need Key Blank Help - YALE

I believe I have a cut key of that profile; I'll check when I get home and see if there are any identifiers on it that would help you out. Nice lock; I have one of a similar vintage in my collection (though with a normal Y2 keyway)
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:54 pm

That would be great, thanks.
Loving this lock and its surely going into my collection. All of the wear on the lock just adds to its beauty. Honestly I rather have an old lock that is all beat up than having one scratch on the face.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:05 pm

i have an ilco N998SB that may fit that profile.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:07 pm

My bad, the cut key I have isn't exactly the same keyway. Close, but pitch of the wards is different and there's an additional ward where that void is on yours. Hope others can help; good luck!
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:51 am

i just checked my 1975 curtis key blank book and the curtis Y79 profile is equiv to the ilco 998 GB, which is a very close match to the ilco key blank which i have, ilco N 998 SB.
of course, close only counts in horseshoes. i do believe it would work in your lock. anyone else chiming in? buehler....buehler....jeffmoss?
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:12 am

Thanks guys, I was hoping to prevent estimations which actually brought me to this because ilco catalog has 3 or 4 blanks that look like they match and about 8 of each master keys so there are plenty that would fit but I wanted the actual key blank for this. Thanks again and yes where are the big dogs of the forum? lol
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:25 pm

I've been looking at it and am not really sure, which is why I have not chimed in :)
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:55 pm

Bump :)

Return to Key Making