FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

shipping picks to the UK

<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:36 am

shipping picks to the UK

I am going to be shipping some picks to the UK soon, actually quite a few, and I was wondering about the customs form. They want the contents of the package listed, so I was going to write "tools". I am just wondering what I should write if the person at the post office wants me to be more specific? Obviously people are shipping picks all over the place, but I thought I read somewhere you had to be a locksmith to legally mail picks?
<<

Snor

Familiar Face

Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:21 am

Re: shipping picks to the UK

Just write "Hand tools". I have had packages saying that and they got here fine.
Houndour wrote:Snor, the Keypicking resident Lubricant Expert in making. For all your lube needs!!! LOL!
m0ose wrote:And last, but not least, we have Snor. He's pretty pimp and a good guy to chat with.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnor
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:05 pm

As far as I can figure the UK is much like the US or Canada in respect to carrying lockpicks, but as far as mailing them I can't find any laws that say you have to be a locksmith or that you have to verify you are shipping to a locksmith in the UK. Different cities, provinces, countries the laws may change, but in general I can't find a law that says so. Someone in who lives in the UK might have a better idea. As for what to identify the package as to customs... tools, handtools, hobbiests tool set, is discriptive enough. It isn't deceptive, like doll golf clubs or swizzel sticks, but it isn't specific either. Even though it may not be illegal to ship picks wherever you are shipping them I can pretty much guarantee "lock picks" is going to gain the attention of whoever handles the package. If you absolutely need to identify the specific contents go with hobbiests lock tools. Try to steer away from locksmithing tools if you aren't shipping to a locksmith. The negative stigma associated with the tools is not going to help your package get to it's destination any faster, and so I would dance around using those words exactly. Just sweat profusely and say, "well it isn't a bomb... if that's what you think" and you should be fine with just labeling them "burglary tools". :mrgreen:

If you do ship them to a country where it is illegal to own them, Poland for example, then "tools" is not going to get you off the hook if they find the contents to be illegal. Technically a knife is a tool, but it would still be illegal to mail a bowie knife to New York under that content heading. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law, blah, blah, blah. Do your best to find out the laws of the exact places you are mailing to beforehand, so you are comfortable in the fact you aren't doing anything maliciously illegal. I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I'm not a practicing lawyer in the UK. All these laws are so much grey area it's difficult for the hobbiest to sort it all out... if you feel apprehensive about mailing, just don't until you find out for sure. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

-Tooly
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:46 pm

Hobbyist carving tools ought to do it , i'm just jealous 'cos i'm broke at the moment .
I do intend to look you up in a few weeks and plead with you to sell me
a few picks , they're the best thing since sliced bread ! (HAHA)
Open Sez Me !
<<

frantic57744

Familiar Face

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:06 pm

i,ve sent a few out myself i tend to list then as i.e (10 spring stainless profiles) it,s just gives them a really boring engineering feel "lockpicks" generate to much interest.. Also there,s a little declaration label just tick the *gift box then that,s pretty much it >stainless steel sprofiles<

you picks are truly awesome B T W :P
http://www.youtube.com/user/frantic57744

A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip.
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:41 am

I listed them as hand tools. We'll see if they get there ok.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:50 am

I'd say no worries. Just give it a week or so. Now shipping from the UK to the US is another story.

What's with the wierd dog scribble avatar? You're freaking me out...

-Mcgee
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:53 am

shouldnt be a problem to tell you the truth , i must have posted over 200 parcels to the US and others around the world including canada,
as said - just write HAND TOOL - and tick the gift box ( cheaper this way )
8-)
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:03 am

ToolyMcgee wrote:I'd say no worries. Just give it a week or so. Now shipping from the UK to the US is another story.

What's with the wierd dog scribble avatar? You're freaking me out...

-Mcgee

its a bunny rabbit

Return to Random Banter