FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Easy way to set up lock for practice.

<<

Gregted

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:12 am

Easy way to set up lock for practice.

While I was shimming a lock just now, a thought came to me of a way to set up a lock to practice on only 2 or 3 pins with out disassembling the whole lock and messing around with small pins and springs.

If you just push the shim in between the last 2 pins on a 5 pin lock, you have in effect a 3 pin practice lock.

I know the cylinder will be very tight with the shim jammed in there but will still give beginners something to work with and the binding order for the remaining pins still should be the same.

I just tried it on a very cheap/old and therefore sloppy core and it worked fine.

Of course once you have the shim in all the way you can then disassemble the entire thing and have a look how it all comes together.

Just watch those little pins. The little buggers have a mind of their own. Be sure to hold the core with the pins at the top and rotate the bible/body 90 degrees so the pins don't fall out of the core and roll away.

I also use a 12mm drill bit shank for the follower so the driver pins and springs stay where I want them.
Aut viam inveniam aut ipse viam faciam
"I shall either find a way, or make a way myself."

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” ― George Bernard Shaw
<<

LockManipulator

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:10 am

Re: Easy way to set up lock for practice.

Great idea! I've never thought of that! I've just got a medeco biaxial and that's a great way for me to practice with just the rotational setting of the pins :D
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:40 am

So you shim the last two and that makes it a three pin lock, without a retainer clip or cam on the back side to hold it together when you pick the three pins,
just be careful that you don't do this while hand holding the cylinder, one little slip up and gravity will have that core out of there and all the pins scattered.
Also don't do any kinetic picking like raking or you might pull that core out while picking.

GRAVITY, NOT JUST A GOOD IDEA, ITS THE LAW!
<<

Gregted

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:56 am

Too true Rai,

This is for spp only to get the feel for the sport and some encouragement for learners to pick their first lock.

No raking or you will be picking up pins and springs.

The shim will hold everything nice and tight to a point.

The lock I tried it on didn't have a retainer on the back and it went fine but something to watch just the same..
Aut viam inveniam aut ipse viam faciam
"I shall either find a way, or make a way myself."

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” ― George Bernard Shaw
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:10 pm

rai wrote:
GRAVITY, NOT JUST A GOOD IDEA, ITS THE LAW!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Love that!

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.

Return to Random Banter