FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Which is better?

<<

Jinglesanator

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:22 pm

Which is better?

I was wondering which was a better material for picks, windsheild wiper inserts, or hacksaw blades. I've heard both being used, but I was wondering which was better for picks.
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:42 pm

Re: Which is better?

I would say feeler gauge stock, thats what I use. But I guess that wasn't what you were asking about. I dont have any wiper inserts, but the one thats sticking out of the wiper on my car, tempting me to pull it out, looks kind of narrow. I like picks with handles, so a hacksaw blade would give you more metal to work with. I dont know what kind of steel is used for the wiper inserts, but hacksaw blades would be hardened and tempered high carbon steel which is good.
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:15 am

blade inserts are easier to cut. hacksaws are easier to loose temper. i usually make my picks out of windshield wiper blade inserts..... just cause hacksaws take too much time
<<

PerfectNightmare

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:55 am

I've got no doubt that wiper blade inserts are better, however, Even though I raid the trashcans of Autozone every weekend, I find it hard to find inserts more than 3/16 - 1/4 inch wide, that doesn't leave me much material to play with, and the finished picks tend to (even after I add support to the sides) bend and twist in my hands. If i get them so they don't bend and twist, they cramp up my hands pretty bad. So it's more than worth the little extra time and effort it takes me to get picks out of hacksaw blades.

--nightmare
“It was a dark and stormy nightmare” -- Neil Gaiman
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Thanks guys! Still post opinions if you have time, but once I get a grinder, I'll try them all out!
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

Nostromo

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:57 pm

Picks made from hacksaw blades are stiffer than the wiper blade inserts and much harder. Quality also seems to vary. Which also means they can snap on you. When grinding you have to really, really, really pay close attention to any heat buildup that will lose your temper. In more ways than one. I use a one inch belt sander - much cooler - and also minimal light to keep an eye on the dreaded heat bloom.

Wiper blade inserts are a j :P y to work with and you can use unpowered tools to shape them. They polish up fantastically smooth and look quite nice. But like the man said, the width is pretty skinny.

You can get a feeler guage at Harbor Freight (USA distributor of cheaply made tools, mostly asian) for two dollars that give quite a bit of working stock up to about 040. Downside is they're a tad short. Great way to make jigglers, warded picks, oddly shaped tension tools (a la Steve Hampton and Eddie the Wire), and pick blades for guns, handles, and wallet size sets.

Guess 'better' depends on what you make. I made a set of Falle SPP picks from hacksaw blades, bogota rakes and tension tools from wiper inserts, and jigglers from feeler guages.
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:15 am

Thanks Nostromo! :D
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

PerfectNightmare

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:01 pm

I touched on this on another thread ( http://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=849 )

McMaster Carr is a good source of specific thickness feeler gauge for a pretty cheep price...

While I'm at it... let me retouch my wiper blade statement... On a whim last night, I found a pretty wide wiper blade in my stack (~ 1/4") quickly ground a short hook out of it... and It is by and far better than any of my hacksaw picks, Was able to pop my Master 532 w/o problems with it... granted, I had to re-enforce the handle so it wouldn't flex on me, and you don't have much material to work with, but for rakes I feel it would work nicely...

--Nightmare
“It was a dark and stormy nightmare” -- Neil Gaiman

Return to Random Banter