FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

uuhhh...wtf?

<<

Kai

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:10 pm

uuhhh...wtf?

"...we find it easy to extend a limited lifetime warranty on them...Send any of our broken Government Steel Picks back to Peterson Manufacturing, Inc. with a check for $12.50 and we will happily send you back a new G-S pick, of your choice; no questions asked, postage pre-paid."

What kind of warranty is that? If one of the picks break they'll do you a favor and charge you for a new one?? Thanks...I guess.
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:27 pm

Re: uuhhh...wtf?

that's crazy! That's basically paying 12.50 for one pick!
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:29 pm

Kai wrote:"...we find it easy to extend a limited lifetime warranty on them...Send any of our broken Government Steel Picks back to Peterson Manufacturing, Inc. with a check for $12.50 and we will happily send you back a new G-S pick, of your choice; no questions asked, postage pre-paid."

What kind of warranty is that? If one of the picks break they'll do you a favor and charge you for a new one?? Thanks...I guess.

Well, I guess it's cheaper than the $15 bucks they normally charge per pick - not including postage.

So in essence, you're getting a semi-discount. It's the BOHICA marketing strategy. BOHICA - Bend Over Here It Comes Again.

Not to be confused with theBEO-BIO strategy - Bend Em Over - Break It Off.
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:05 pm

SpaceyStacey wrote:Maybe that is the shipping and handling costs they charge? Compare what thier shipping is for a typical single pick order, then add about 10% to that and I am guessing that would be pretty close to that 12.

for a single pick shipped it would be around 20 bucks.
12 is a lot better than 20.
but they are pretty durable so you shouldnt go snapping them.
<<

Kai

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:13 am

On lockpickshop.com, the Government Elite Stainless Steel Lock Pick Set is selling for $194.95

12 picks, some tension wrenches, and a key extractor in a leather case.

Each pick costs about $16.24 retail. (You have also paid for the wrenches/extractor/case in this amount so its probably a little less)

If one breaks I send them $12.50.
Saving $3.74 per pick.

They state postage pre-paid. If you're in the US, postage for 1 pick really can't cost more than 1 stamp. (Each stamp allows you up to an once in a regular envelope)

When someone offers a warranty I assume it means they are standing behind the quality and durability of their product. Peterson is offering ~$4 and make it sound like they've sold the farm to back up their picks.

Don't get me wrong, if I had a set and broke a pick I'm not gonna refuse the $4. Just thought it was strange marketing...

"We believe in our picks sooo much, we'll give you a slight discount if they break! Cheers."

Think Hallis hit the nail on the head
<<

Kai

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:06 am

I stand corrected. A single pick costs $15.00 + $7.95 shipping = $22.95

http://www.peterson-international.com/I ... tSteel.htm

So it's more like a 50% discount. Still kinda silly, but probably not enough to deserve its own thread >.>

Needs at least 25% more funny
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:08 am

SpaceyStacey wrote: Thing is too, do they actually just ship in an envelope? I am guessing they send it in a small box to prevent it from being bent or broken in transit.

EDITED TO ADD: Any time you buy something in a set, the larger the set, the smaller the cost for the individual items (generally speaking). You could not break the price down via what you paid on the whole set to compare. You would want to look against thier standard cost for 1 pick etc..

When I bought individual picks from Peterson, they sent them to me in these cool little retractable storage boxes. Never received a broken or bent pick from them.
http://www.peterson-international.com/storage.html

Return to Random Banter