FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Locks, Safes, and Security errata

<<

Josephus

Post Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Locks, Safes, and Security errata

I read much and often. Always nonfiction, usually reference and textbooks. It is just amazingly addictive after learning how to consume the massive amounts of knowledge that someone else so graciously put on paper for the rest of us. Problem with it is, well...reading textbooks is boring. To make sure I am paying attention I occasionally keep a list of major errata. Not things like style or stuff that I would have to do research to find out. I don't fact check for fun. Just a casual list of things that are inconsistent or stand out as wrong. Generally I know that I am not paying attention if I find no errors after ten pages or so. Locks, Safes, and Security by Marc Weber Tobias(2nd ed.) is much better.

I have not yet completed it. Posting the list just popped into my head as there were an unusually large number in a row as I was reading last week. My current errata is from page 379 to 981. I just happened to start keeping track at magnetic locks, page 375 and 990 gets me to drilling, a rather boring subject if you get my meaning. Anyway, you may or may not find it interesting so for your perusal here it is:

page, location, then description

379 par. 3 BFV misspelled BPV, it happens again on page 427
402 par. 1 'techniques' missing the 't'
475 par. 3 'key' as 'hey'
511 par. 5 'An SEM' should be 'A SEM'
512 list 1 lead is not an alloy
546 par. 3 'laser-track disc' intended to have a comma?
583 par. 2 'if not' should be 'if so' or similar
616 par. 3 'mercury' missing 'y'
887 par. 2 'rapped' should be 'wrapped'
919 fig. 34-15 'bushing' as 'busing'
975 par. 3 Nobel added sawdust to nitroglycerine to make dynamite, not making dynamite safe through adding nitroglycerine
978 list 'maul' as 'mall'
979 list 'Bosch' as 'Bausch'
981 par. 3 'ensure' as 'insure'

...and that's it. Good and short. There is one diagram in there for the 6730 that I could swear the labeling wasn't quite right, but I am no expert. Also (somewhere before page 375?) my copy (standard issue year 2000 second edition) has a printing error where the entire last line of a page is missing. I wish I had marked it as I would love to know what that line was. An error like that is just so surprising in a book of amazing quality. It even has raised lettering. That is just sick. I like to think that was done on purpose for people that have the sensitivity to appreciate it.

Well I hope someone finds it interesting. If anything else it is clear that the section on destructive entry of safes was not the most interesting to the author or the editor.
<<

muddassarusa

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:33 pm

Re: Locks, Safes, and Security errata

Scan it and give me link so I can help you in this matter?
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:23 am

After looking through my copy of LSS I noticed a few errors. But the whole thing about proof reading is that it all depends on the level of pedantry that you wish to apply to it. It's rare that you get any sort of publication containing no errors. There's always someone who knows more about spelling, grammar and punctuation than yourself.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:09 am

Thoz paygez luked fiin two mee. At leest tha daytah inn them iz stil gud.

Hukt ahn fonix wurkt for mee! :mrgreen:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:29 am

GWiens2001 wrote:Thoz paygez luked fiin two mee. At leest tha daytah inn them iz stil gud.

Hukt ahn fonix wurkt for mee! :mrgreen:

Gordon

Das it mane.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:42 am

In doing this, you've demonstrated a level of focus that probably makes you an excellent picker. Will you send your list to Tobias?
<<

Josephus

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:37 pm

GringoLocksmith wrote:In doing this, you've demonstrated a level of focus that probably makes you an excellent picker. Will you send your list to Tobias?

I'm tempted to. It is part of the reason why I posted it publicly. Though I expect it to be a year or two before I have interest in re-reading the beginning at all let alone just to look for errors.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:54 pm

An erratum in your errata... :)

>511 par. 5 'An SEM' should be 'A SEM'
Actually, "An SEM" is correct, this is because 'S' is pronounced as "ESS" and words that phonetically start with a vowel sound should use "an" and not "a."

Enjoy
Elbow :akimbo:

Josephus wrote:I read much and often. Always nonfiction, usually reference and textbooks. It is just amazingly addictive after learning how to consume the massive amounts of knowledge that someone else so graciously put on paper for the rest of us. Problem with it is, well...reading textbooks is boring. To make sure I am paying attention I occasionally keep a list of major errata. Not things like style or stuff that I would have to do research to find out. I don't fact check for fun. Just a casual list of things that are inconsistent or stand out as wrong. Generally I know that I am not paying attention if I find no errors after ten pages or so. Locks, Safes, and Security by Marc Weber Tobias(2nd ed.) is much better.

I have not yet completed it. Posting the list just popped into my head as there were an unusually large number in a row as I was reading last week. My current errata is from page 379 to 981. I just happened to start keeping track at magnetic locks, page 375 and 990 gets me to drilling, a rather boring subject if you get my meaning. Anyway, you may or may not find it interesting so for your perusal here it is:

page, location, then description

379 par. 3 BFV misspelled BPV, it happens again on page 427
402 par. 1 'techniques' missing the 't'
475 par. 3 'key' as 'hey'
511 par. 5 'An SEM' should be 'A SEM'
512 list 1 lead is not an alloy
546 par. 3 'laser-track disc' intended to have a comma?
583 par. 2 'if not' should be 'if so' or similar
616 par. 3 'mercury' missing 'y'
887 par. 2 'rapped' should be 'wrapped'
919 fig. 34-15 'bushing' as 'busing'
975 par. 3 Nobel added sawdust to nitroglycerine to make dynamite, not making dynamite safe through adding nitroglycerine
978 list 'maul' as 'mall'
979 list 'Bosch' as 'Bausch'
981 par. 3 'ensure' as 'insure'

...and that's it. Good and short. There is one diagram in there for the 6730 that I could swear the labeling wasn't quite right, but I am no expert. Also (somewhere before page 375?) my copy (standard issue year 2000 second edition) has a printing error where the entire last line of a page is missing. I wish I had marked it as I would love to know what that line was. An error like that is just so surprising in a book of amazing quality. It even has raised lettering. That is just sick. I like to think that was done on purpose for people that have the sensitivity to appreciate it.

Well I hope someone finds it interesting. If anything else it is clear that the section on destructive entry of safes was not the most interesting to the author or the editor.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:27 pm

You should definitely send it. Nobody spends all that time writing a 1000-page tome and wants it to be full of errors. He'll be happy to know that someone read the whole thing.
<<

Josephus

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:53 pm

elbowmacaroni wrote:An erratum in your errata... :)

>511 par. 5 'An SEM' should be 'A SEM'
Actually, "An SEM" is correct, this is because 'S' is pronounced as "ESS" and words that phonetically start with a vowel sound should use "an" and not "a."

Enjoy
Elbow :akimbo:

That's funny, I wonder about things like that. It has been removed.

@huxleypig No doubt. It can be like sweeping a beach.

Return to Random Banter