FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

ASMR

<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:27 pm

ASMR

Various people have asked me what the hell I'm talking about when it comes to ASMR. I've already shown a couple of you what it is and even was able to trigger it for you by showing you videos.

ASMR: Autonomous sensory meridian response. It is that indescribable tingling sensation that apparently 1 out of 10 people experience when they view or hear subjective visual or audio triggers. This is a very odd community that exists on YouTube of ASMR'ers and "whisperers" that make videos of nail scratching, nail tapping, up close whispering, head massages using 3D microphones (binaural) or other such things like bottle opening or pouring water into glasses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous ... n_response

I am a nail scratching/tapping fanatic. I get such intense ASMR sensations from this. Let me give you an example. This can be VERY addictive once you find your trigger... if you find yourself watching/listening to this stuff for hours you have been warned.

These videos work best with quality headphones.

Here is a "binaural" recording (3d):

The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: ASMR

Individual human experiences are very subjective, yet most people tend to assume that their own experiences are what is average. I've been able to experience ASMR throughout my life and I just assumed that EVERYONE could feel it occasionally. It wasn't until xeo started talking about it in the chat room that I found out it had a name. I read a few articles on it, and was surprised to find that most people DON'T feel it.

While some people call it a "braingasm" it doesn't feel at all sexual to me. I guess the best way I'd describe it, is to picture that creeping, dissonant feeling you get in the back of your neck when you scrape your fingernails on a blackboard. Now imagine that there is a pleasant opposite to that sensation. That's what ASMR feels like to me. It's just a nice, calm, enjoyable tingling in the back of your neck. It can travel down the spine and spread up the back of the head and throughout the scalp if it gets more intense.

I've been able to trigger the sensation a couple of times with binaural videos if I'm using good quality stereo headphones, but usually they don't work for me. It's a bit funny watching some of them: the roleplay that they incorporate. Since I can feel ASMR I can see WHY they do it, but I often wonder how weird it must appear to people who can't envision what ASMR is.
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:23 pm

that's cooll xeo,,

I have a scare on my head, next to my ear.

my x used to rub that spot, and i could hear the wiskers reverb in ny head, so relaxing

is that what you meen ?
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Interesting. After watching the two vids you posted, I browsed through a few others too.
Nearly all of them did give me a slight sensation... but nothing near others' reactions I'm sure.

It's rather difficult to explain. Sort of like I was on the verge of
having a full-body chill that never materialized. The feeling was
felt at the base of my neck... predominantly the upper vertebrae.

I'm not that 1 out of 10.... but that's ok... my current addictions take up enough time as it is. lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Violaetor

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:13 pm

As a child or at some point in your life did you have someone (or still do) that would rub/scratch your back/head/hair etc that resulted in a comforting/pleasurable bonding experience? I wonder if this would be similar to some learned behaviors that become autonomic. Much like how people can associate pain as a sexual stimulus, or have non erogenous zone become erogenous through conditioning. Not to sexualize the topic, but those are the most prevalent types associated without getting Pavlovian.
Looking to get something made? Send me a PM!
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:56 am

Violaetor wrote:As a child or at some point in your life did you have someone (or still do) that would rub/scratch your back/head/hair etc that resulted in a comforting/pleasurable bonding experience? I wonder if this would be similar to some learned behaviors that become autonomic. Much like how people can associate pain as a sexual stimulus, or have non erogenous zone become erogenous through conditioning. Not to sexualize the topic, but those are the most prevalent types associated without getting Pavlovian.

Nothing specific that I can recall. There seems to be no psychological or childhood events that activate this sensation as many other people experience it as well. I've had this as far as I can remember and dismissed it as typical human experience until I had seen a comment on youtube video which made me investigate further. One particular thing that triggers it hard for me is when getting a haircut, the electric buzzer would always send me into tingle mode.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

selim

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:01 am

on the neck,, oh ya xeo
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:17 am

Interesting! I didn't know this thing had a name. Sometimes the hairdryer puts me on this particular state of mind. Sometimes a persons tone of voice. I've always thought it was a sort of hypnotic or telepathic thing and never investigated it. It's strange to discover that it's a wide and official thing.

Cheers :)
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:50 pm

femurat wrote:Interesting! I didn't know this thing had a name. Sometimes the hairdryer puts me on this particular state of mind. Sometimes a persons tone of voice. I've always thought it was a sort of hypnotic or telepathic thing and never investigated it. It's strange to discover that it's a wide and official thing.

Cheers :)

Welcome to the club! :D

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Interesting stuff. I have done some balloon twisting, along with some of my magic. The sound of the balloons chattering as they're being twisted is a major trigger for ASMR.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

fogcreature

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:59 pm

i dont think i have one, but i love making binaural recordings. i have tons of wierd music up on soundcloud and one of the guys on there suggested i try it out. its tons of fun. i do like my wife to rub my head and back though.

Return to Random Banter