FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Jackknife lockpick set ..opinion comments pls

<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 26, 2012 5:58 am

Jackknife lockpick set ..opinion comments pls

I came across this jpg this morning of a set done way back by a guy called lockpickroy.

He has incorporated the pick style of the HPC compu pick and some of the other picks of that sort with more traditional shapes.

I am considering having a few made up similar to this and would appreciate comments or feedback.

Click on image to enlarge.

lockpickroyjackknife.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Sat May 26, 2012 6:39 am

Re: Jackknife lockpick set ..opinion comments pls

That's a hell of a pick selection lol, only thing I'd say is that it looks like it'd be a bit bulky to hold and maneuver comfortably. Still, smaller than a pick set in a leather case... I dunno though, a jackknife is an emergency thing so you don't really need that kind of selection, all you need is a couple of different sized hooks and a couple of rakes. Looks badass though :mrgreen:
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 26, 2012 10:08 am

That looks like a gauge set for spark plugs a lot of people have made them. They are a gimick, I lost my one I had from southord and didn't even care that much, they'd be great for a glove box tool or a hiking bag in a pinch. but as a real use they suck, yet everyone here did the same thing. We all read that they suck from others then we all went and bought one thinking, they are so cool and so applicable. I ended up making three tools for my key chain, a hook a diamond and a wrench out of street sweeper blades and keep them on my key ring just in case I put heat shrink caps on thejm to keep from poking me. I'm not saying don't get one, they can be fun to play with but they get boring quick.
http://www.youtube.com/wolfspring

What you call intelligence, I call common sense.
<<

edsmiley

Contributor - Research & Development Kingpin
Contributor - Research & Development Kingpin

Post Sat May 26, 2012 4:30 pm

Neat, I would be interested in hearing where you having it made.

I have a jackknife set, the feedback is good, just different from a regular pick. You are an experienced picker, so it should not be any problem for you. I would not recommend them for beginners because the feedback is quite different and a little harder to get used to when you are first learning.

I found that the set of picks I have with mine are not as functional. However, the southern spec one has a lot more pick choices, just have not picked one up yet. I would be interested in hearing more about this set though and maybe would purchase something like that instead.

Ed
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue May 29, 2012 10:53 pm

As already stated above, most folders are wobbly and give weird feedback. My southord and HPC folding sets are very wobbly and I'd say not good for much more than emergency use.

So far the only exception I've found is the Southern Specialties jackknife sets. They lock up tight, but they still have a different feel than regular picks and I wouldn't recommend them for learning to pick. If you decide you want to give them a shot though, I'd suggest the aluminum handled version. Pretty easy to disassemble if you ever want to replace any picks or other parts. The spare picks are pretty cheap too.

http://lockpicksandtools.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=53

Return to Random Banter