FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Creating a new Lockpick company...

<<

LockManipulator

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Creating a new Lockpick company...

Aedalas wrote:
Daggers wrote:Just received my pick today! It works great! Thanks to Aedalas for buying me one :)
Heh, hadn't seen you in a while. Was hoping you hadn't given up on picking with that on the way.

Got mine today too, tried em out and they're pretty nice. I was afraid the handles would be a bit odd for me as I don't really hold my picks the way you do and the cutouts were pretty much designed on your style. Turns out I had nothing to worry about, the bottom cutout is essentially decoration but the top works with the way I hold them just fine.I love the thickness (.0246" as far as I can tell, see below), nice and slim for the harder keyways but thick enough to lend some strength. I have to say I'm very pleased with them, you do great work.

Also, a little more of a review/advertisement. If you're a member there vote that shit up and add your own thoughts.

Yeah, I haven't had time to do much lately. I've been picking in my spare time though at least. I've taken up rock climbing full time, 6-9 hours a day everyday :) so that tends to tie up time to do stuff
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:11 am

Overall they are great. The patterns and construction are great! Handles of some type would be nice (mine are not dipped) but, I can fit all of these in a very small space in my case. I like the space savings way more than comfort. The two hump bogota has higher than normal peeks that I have found to be very effective. They are also have sharper points than I have seen anyplace else. It seemed that the pick didn't move as smoothly when raking in several locks. It could just be my poor technique but, I polished the points down just a hair and the pick seemed much smoother. I like the handles and they seem to be adaptable to several styles of picking. Great product and great job getting them done. When I get paid next I'll have to get the king and queen to round out the set. Thanks.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:31 am

the bogotas are supposed to kinda round out during the sanding/vibrating process... but i guess it did not round the tip of yours well... they are sharper than most mass produced ones... I remember one time i opened a set of bogotas from rai... he has heat shrink tube around them... as i slid it off... they slided through the heatshrink tube... and through my thumb... this happened more than onece (i had several sets from him...) so i think the sharpness is important... put the pointyness is supposed to round out... which may be why it seems taller...

I also like the space saving abilities of handleless picks... in my case I have my favorite pick in a pocket by itself... with a dipped handle... and all my other spp tools in a pocket and all the rakes in a nother pocket... the entire 12 piece set in 3 pockets (it could easily fit in 2 with no handles) but I also agree the handles make it more comfy...
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:52 pm

For your viewing pleasure, my latest video. I do a small review of the picks and show the heat shrink I put on:
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:52 pm

nice job on the heat shrink... did you try putting it all the way up to the shaft?
back in the day I had cut a few this style... and put heat shrink tube all the way up... but as it shrank to meet the space between the cutouts it made a bubble of air as the tube maxed its shrinkage... it was a neat effect... I was just wondering if these would do it too...
<<

spandexwarrior

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:44 pm

I got mine the other day and they're very impressive. They're just the right thickness (in between a standard Peterson and a slender) and very strong.

I prefer a handle so here is what they look like after 3 coats of black plasti dip:
Picks_sm.jpg

Hats off to LSA for getting this project done well and very quickly!

-Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:51 am

nice... thats how mine turned out too :) I trimmed the excess off the pickshafts tho
used 3 coats aswell :)
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:08 am

LSA, I will see if I have any more of that size heat shrink...I cut several small pieces to do the rest of the handles, but I may have a 1 foot section still.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

LockManipulator

Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:36 am

The picks look great in pictures but just so everybody knows, they look even better in person imo!
<<

chronos_cambridge

Familiar Face

Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:38 pm

OMG a king and queen pick available, is this the only company that makes em? I ordered a pair, psyched for these! (don't have either in my kit atm)

nice work LSA!!!
<<

pin_pusher

Familiar Face

Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:35 pm

today: me vs. master 6230 (not an easy opponent for me)

equipped with locksmitharmy's curved pick, then the offset half diamond...once, just once got it opened--every other time was a false set or otherwise.

my review: these picks fit really comfortably within my hands, and the response i receive is a proper extension of my fingertips. these picks are thin, but not flimsy, and remain flexible enough to give input on the inside of the locks themselves. the quality rivals many other company's picks. here's wishin' you well with this lsa.
<<

Lumpy

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:17 pm

Got mine today. They look great.

Haven't got a chance to try them out yet.

LSA, PM'ng you about the shipping charges.
-= Lumpy =-
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:17 pm

I've received my Cliff lock picks and I think they're great. I have both dipped and undipped and like them both. The undipped are very easy to store in a small wallet or pouch. The undipped are ok to hold but for extended picking sessions the dipped are more comfortable.

The finishing is good. They don't have any sharp edges. The dipping is largely uniform and smooth with the excpetion of one pick (the 'S' rake) which shows some bubbling on one side, but I can live with that. In any event it is just a small problem that a final QA inspection will catch.

Overall, I think LSA has done very well given that this is his first mass production of picks, it is not his fulltime job and he has a young family. The project was completed in a matter of months and the end-product is comparable to the other flat steel picks on the market (Storm and Falle-Safe). I look forward to future products from Cliff Lock Picks.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:30 pm

i dont know how to remove the bubbles... look back at the previous posts where i dipped some in black... they are extreamly bubbly
does anyone know how to dip shtuff without getting the bubbles?
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:21 pm

LocksmithArmy wrote:i dont know how to remove the bubbles... look back at the previous posts where i dipped some in black... they are extreamly bubbly
does anyone know how to dip shtuff without getting the bubbles?

Most of the picks are perefectly smooth and only one has clearly visible bubbling so it looks like your technique has improved with the red dip. Are you shaking or vigorously stirring the dip and unintentionally introducing air into the pot of dip? I'm guessing that because of the viscosity of the dip, once you introduce bubbles into it they would be difficult to remove because they will not float to the top (like they do with milk for example when you use a shaker cup to blend protein powder into it). Could the black dip have been agitated heavily during transit, filling it with air bubbles before you even opened the lid?
PreviousNext

Return to Random Banter