FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Why do YOU pick locks?

<<

Houndour

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:02 am

Why do YOU pick locks?

What do you get out of it?

I know the basic answers to this, but I want YOUR short reason for it. Describe in a short paragraph or two, why you pick locks. Whats your reason for doing so. Thanks.

I wont be a hypocrit. I'll add my own answer.

I pick locks because of the sheer puzzle aspect of it. And no, Im not blind to the fact Sudoku exists, but thats boring. Lock picking requires a hands on attitude, instinctual touch, reflexes and other things that make it challenging but fun! Its somethig I can see myself continually growing and maturing in, and gaining more and more knowledge in as time goes by.

^^;
Click banner for...
1) the Meaning of Life
2) Hot bikini models oiled up &
3) LockPicking vids (1 & 2 may not be accurate)
<<

m0ose

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: Why do YOU pick locks?

I've been interested in becoming a locksmith for a while, and since finding Youtube pickers, I figured I could learn and contribute. Plus, such picking is such an art form, and can be used in so many aspects, it doesn't hurt one bit to get as good as you can.
<<

Site Admin

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:49 pm

hmm, i don't really know to be honest :D .

I suppose it is the sense of acheivment i get from it. Beating something that isnt meant to be beaten.

Plus i love all the contacts i have made arround the world from it and i love recieving nw locks from other pickers. it's nice to have something in the mail every once in a while which isn't a bill.

anyway that would be my reason in a nutshell :)

Lew
<<

Run4yourlife24x

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:00 pm

hmm.. i first wanted to learn to pick when my parents lock up the alcohal cabinet...... seriously though im not sure what got me started. I believe one day i saw a video on youtube of picking with paperclips and i was amazed it worked and got into it.
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:06 pm

i'm with dour...it's fun. also it can help you out if you lose your keys to your suitcase or locked outta your house.i'm also trying to use it as an extra boost for college money....to get started early on law or medical school (i dunno which one i'll choose). it also gives you a better understanding of mechanics. another thing....when you solve a hard puzzle or sudoku...you dont really feel to cool. but when you pick a lock that seems unpickable...hearing the shackle pop open after a grueling task of setting the pins, it's a beautiful sound, that little 'pop'. y'know what i mean?
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:48 pm

the chicks 8-)
nahh but seriously, mostly cause i too wanted to become a locksmith, but it was fun and gave me something constructive to do with my free time... Its like a puzzle. but skills with rubiks cubes dont help you when your locked out. :D
<<

Snor

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:58 pm

I am very interested in how lock mechanisms work and how to beat them, and of course the satisfying pop. I like to take things apart and see how they work.
Houndour wrote:Snor, the Keypicking resident Lubricant Expert in making. For all your lube needs!!! LOL!
m0ose wrote:And last, but not least, we have Snor. He's pretty pimp and a good guy to chat with.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnor
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:00 pm

Snor wrote:I am very interested in how lock mechanisms work and how to beat them, and of course the satisfying pop. I like to take things apart and see how they work.

and lubing them up... ;)
<<

Snor

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:25 pm

Oh yes! :D
Houndour wrote:Snor, the Keypicking resident Lubricant Expert in making. For all your lube needs!!! LOL!
m0ose wrote:And last, but not least, we have Snor. He's pretty pimp and a good guy to chat with.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnor
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:30 pm

I thought so... :)
<<

Site Admin

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:32 pm

haha, snor how could you leave such a detail out :D
<<

Houndour

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:31 pm

Just so you guys know, I'm intending on posting a video on Youtube with quotes from this thread.

Its going to be a VERY useful video for those people you try to explain lockpicking to who seem a bit conservative about the concept.

Sometimes when I try to explain my hobby to someone I dont particularly know very well, they can have a negative attitude towards it. Hopefully the video Im going to produce will counter this narrowmindedness and reverse it.
Click banner for...
1) the Meaning of Life
2) Hot bikini models oiled up &
3) LockPicking vids (1 & 2 may not be accurate)
<<

kizza8484

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:10 pm

I pick locks basically because i enjoy the challenge. And also when your sitting there concentrating on trying to open a lock it gives you an opportunity to put all your worries and responsibilities out of your head for a while.
<<

StabbyJoe

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:53 pm

I like puzzles and using my hands... I get a little thrill from doing things I thought were cool as a kid... as a result, I have a lock picking and rubik's cube solving obsession... I did all of my solves without help by creating my own cubing method that is similar (in retrospect) to popular speed cubing methods... I can do a 3^3 in under 30 sec (first solve took a week) a 4^3 in 3.5mins (first solve took 6hrs) and a 5^3 in 5min (first solve in 1hr... pretty proud of that)
I just like things that are skill and logic based where you can directly see your result and be proud of the achievement ^^,
<<

Nefarious

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:12 am

my reason is becuase I have liked locks and the aspect of locks since I was very young here is a good way to sum it up:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hack_value

Hack value is the notion among hackers that something is worth doing or is interesting. This is something that hackers often feel intuitively about a problem or solution; the feeling approaches the mystical for some.

For example, picking a difficult lock has hack value; smashing a lock does not.
Next

Return to Random Banter