FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

DrugofChoice - Lockpicking

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Re: DrugofChoice - Lockpicking

Been pickin' for a bit now... coming up on 2 years. And I wrote this article one year ago now.
I can say that I feel just as strongly today, maybe even more so, than when I first wrote it.

Only a couple differences today:

One: I've now (for the most part lol) learned to moderate my obsession. This only happened after some pain. lol
For me, change usaully occurs only after I've had enough discomfort. It brought me to a dangerous level of isolation.
It was over a year with VERY little sleep, lost priorities, and neglected loved ones before I said "this is too much".
Today, I enjoy it immensely when I can and do not feel guilty about it. But yeah.... it's still an obsession :)

And two: After a couple years of lockpicking, I've finally begun to take an interest in the lockSMITHING aspect of it all.
This is a whole new world which I know very little about. I really enjoy helping friends and family out with little things
though (lockouts, rekeying, installation, repair). And with each job I ALWAYS learn something new... that's my payment.

So.... for the 100th time, just wanted to say thanks to everyone! ABSOLUTELY NO WHERE ELSE have I found what we have
here. Your patience, experience, and generosity STILL just blows my mind! Winter is the best time for me to stay up-to-date
and contribute to the forum. 15 hour work days during the summer leaves very little 'me-time', and I sometimes start feeling
a little guilty for neglecting this forum that has given me so much. But I'm hoping to stop in at least once everyday....and I'm
still hoping to finish and post my article on American Locks within the month.

I'm also very excited to see so many new members since last year! You've come to the right place.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:31 pm

:agree: kp as got to be the coolist place to start and his packed with info.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:25 pm

Oldfast (I'm terrible with real names and one thing that impresses me is how you always know everyones real name), you are among a handful of people whom I look to this forum for as a stable base of knowledge. You and the others that make that base are a constant factor in the information I draw from here for picking and other relevant lock information I carry with me to work. I enjoy the videos and I envy your skills as well as others and when I see all the videos that come from here it inspires me to continue trying the more difficult locks I've not been able to open.

Pertaining to your original post I probably never saw it because that time last year I was the only locksmith working for this shop and I was busy beyond belief. I started lock picking because it comes with the job. I tried a few other places to get information but keypicking is bar far the best place because of the quality of information and the quality of character of the people on this board. So I came here and started to learn. I was thrilled when I could SPP my first lock which I think was a Kwikset but I was embarrassed that I could only rely on a pick gun to get me in to places when I was working. So I persevered and continued to practice. Now I don't even own a pick gun. I don't need one for KW and Schlage locks anymore I can rake or if I need to SPP. That is because of this place. As I look at my desk, I see tons of locks. Probably close to 50 padlocks. I have a bunch of mortise and rim cylinders, and I have a U-change in my vise that I pick over and over. I guess I'm a little obsessive. I wish I could muster learning the Medeco and ASSA locks but it seems I just don't have to time and energy to put into it.

I can't wait to see your article on American locks. I love Americans and I've got a goal of trying to collect at least one of each model.
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:13 pm

I had ODD when I was a kid. A lock is the ultimate authority that everyone has to answer to, which I hated so much. I still don't like authority. :fu:
<<

Oldfast

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:42 am

mdchurchill wrote:Oldfast (I'm terrible with real names and one thing that impresses me is how you always know everyones real name), you are among a handful of people whom I look to this forum for as a stable base of knowledge. You and the others that make that base are a constant factor in the information I draw from here for picking and other relevant lock information I carry with me to work. I enjoy the videos and I envy your skills as well as others and when I see all the videos that come from here it inspires me to continue trying the more difficult locks I've not been able to open.

Pertaining to your original post I probably never saw it because that time last year I was the only locksmith working for this shop and I was busy beyond belief. I started lock picking because it comes with the job. I tried a few other places to get information but keypicking is bar far the best place because of the quality of information and the quality of character of the people on this board. So I came here and started to learn. I was thrilled when I could SPP my first lock which I think was a Kwikset but I was embarrassed that I could only rely on a pick gun to get me in to places when I was working. So I persevered and continued to practice. Now I don't even own a pick gun. I don't need one for KW and Schlage locks anymore I can rake or if I need to SPP. That is because of this place. As I look at my desk, I see tons of locks. Probably close to 50 padlocks. I have a bunch of mortise and rim cylinders, and I have a U-change in my vise that I pick over and over. I guess I'm a little obsessive. I wish I could muster learning the Medeco and ASSA locks but it seems I just don't have to time and energy to put into it.

I can't wait to see your article on American locks. I love Americans and I've got a goal of trying to collect at least one of each model.

Thanks so much! That certainly makes me feel good... like I've given at least something back to this forum that I've taken so much from :) And as far as remember names, I've gotta be honest... I'm terrible with names too!! HahAAA. Although I remember most now, it wasn't always like that. I have (and still refer to it sometimes) a small notebook that helps me keep track of names, usernames, and youtube names. Used to be embarresed about how bad I was with names, but the fact that I write them down simply means you're important enough to me to want to remember.

And now my friend, allow me to take you back to not that long ago. The first sentence of your very first post on the forum... Jan 25th, 2011.
mdchurchill wrote:Hi, my name is Matt and I just recently got thrown into the locksmithing business......

And look at you now!! The knowledge and experience you've gained in such a short amount of time is not only impressive, but inspiring.
A wonderful example of what this forum (along with many other sources I'm sure) can do when you put your heart into it.
And to know I've played a VERY small part in it.... very cool! Thanks so much for the kind words.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:43 am

Great thread Oldfast.

You expressed so well what I hinted at in my post ( viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9944 )but so much more eloquently. So I'll take the time to thank you and everyone else here at KP who have made this a pleasurable and informative place to be. The knowledge and advice is invaluable and by far the best to be found on the web. I just wish those professional locksmiths in the know would be a little more forthcoming sometimes but I realize it's a sacred knowledge of sorts and the 'Secrets of the Guild' are alive and well in this area.

I also plan on developing my locksmith skills with the intention of making it a career of sorts when I find it too hard to carry on in my present profession. Yes I intend to work until my grave simply due to the belief it will delay the inevitable. Until that time I will read, learn and query my new friends here to develop the skills I will need to be able to offer a service sorely lacking in my community.

Seems you got the creative juices in me flowing Mike so I'll end here before I write a post of epic proportions.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

Oldfast

Post Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:10 am

Hell yeah! Glad to hear it inspired you! Like I say, I had forgotten about this until your post.
I also couldn't recall what I had entitled it... so I had to dig deep into the darkness of KP. lol

Bottom line, just as you have mentioned, is this forum and the people here. There is no way in hell
I would've EVER enjoyed locks to the extent I do if it were not for this. To this day people just blow
me away with their generosity. Not just in a materialistic sense, but the giving of their time! I mean
really, it takes a lot of time to put together a well thought out, clearly written explanation in response
to someone's question or problem. And people around here consistently do this again, and again.
<<

j-j-80

Post Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:34 am

After long years of suffering with a mental ilness and depresive epsiodes i was watching youtube it fascinated me bosnian bill and waddac2 and xeos channel so i bought cheap padlocks and a goso set started raking started spp after a few months after a year my spp got better learning of other pickers now im spp assas rukos evvas and jst started dimples wen picking i loose time i atleast pick 2 hrs in the evening i love the challenge it takes my mind of negative thoughts and its a brilliant sport i love it my journey ive learned alot and want to progress more my favourite commercial picks :prybar: :tension: :longhook: :offestdiamond: frm southord max and petersons i am fasinated with all lockpicking tools
<<

Oldfast

Post Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:05 pm

Well there ya have it! Great testimony jj. Thanks for sharing how it's helped.

Piotr, who I've not seen around here in a while now, once referred to flow.
I liked it and the word stuck with me ever since. It make perfect since really.

An activity that demands such involvement that it's very difficult to get sidetracked.
Therapeutic in a way. A nice way to relax for a bit and drown out everything else.
Previous

Return to Random Banter