FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

DrugofChoice - Lockpicking

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:50 am

DrugofChoice - Lockpicking

A piece of hardware.... designed, built, studied, tested and manufactured for ONE sole purpose: TO KEEP YOU OUT. We.... try to get in. The battle that ensues is truly exciting, and is measured in thousandths of an inch! Some of these locks are quite sophisticated, and are not designed by one, but literally teams of some of the brightest minds in the industry. What a thrill to be up against such ingenuity! Also, the thrill is not all about the defeat, but simply marveling at the complexity of some of these beautiful mechanisms.

My passion/obbsession for defeating locks is something I can only attempt to describe by relating it to my past life as a full-blown addict/alcoholic. I simply cannot get enough locks, reading material, or worst of all, time, to satisfy my craving for more. When I delve into a lock I'm suddenly emersed in a world where time does not exist. I forget that other people live on this planet. Hell, I forget that I need to eat & sleep every once in a while. More so for me than anyone I know, EVERYTHING must be in moderation. Eventually I'll take this hobby/study down to a more healthy, balanced level...... just not right now! LOL

1am - A pitch black room. Lightning intermittently illuminates it. Heavy rain hits the window. Long, rolling thunder overhead. Setting at my desk in front of the window, I take several deep breaths, and begin feeling and fumbling my way from lock to lock. Some open... some do not. As my eyes adjust to the darkness, I close them. 3am - I emerge and realize the last 2 hrs (which felt like 20 minutes) were some of the most "at peace" moments I've ever had.

So what is it that so intrigues us about locks? For some, the challenge. Others, maybe it's the emotional charge. And still others, who try to bring awareness and promote change- better quality, more security. I invite you to share your thoughts. Be it a hobby, study, sport, or career for you... I'd love to hear when, how, and most of all, why it is you got started. And, what is it, even years later, that still has you coming back for more!? What is it that drives you? Just what exactly is lockpicking to you?

Nearly all of us carry and use keys our entire lives, never knowing exactly why a key works... it just does. Often times, we don't realize just how well a particular lock works until, all of a sudden one day, it turns against us. Many are intrigued by the idea of picking a lock. The movies portray it as a kind of secret black art that only a few elite are capable of. A few are interested enough to maybe even try their hand at it for a bit. But the "007 factor" quickly fades as they realize there may be a little more to it. This, I think, is one of the reasons so many come and go.

A true picker, I believe, enjoys the challenge. Granted, I've only been picking for about 8 months now... but I'm certain I would've quit long before now if every lock popped open as easily as those first few. I seem to enjoy the humbling defeats as well as those victories that leave me shaking from the adrenaline rush. Very few things come naturally to me, and lockpicking is no exception. But, I've come to enjoy the very slow learning curve this hobby has placed me on. What I lack in skill, I make up for with patience. And when most people are ready to throw the lock through a window... I'm just getting started. Don't get me wrong, I certainly get frustrated from time to time... but, for the most part, I've learned to enjoy those moments. When I think of the vast array of various locks in the world today (with new designs constantly emerging), I realize I've barely scratched the surface. This.... gets me excited!

Thanks to all who help me enjoy this wonderful hobby. Your generosity continues to amaze me.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

darkhorse

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:12 am

Re: DrugofChoice - Lockpicking

Sums it up perfectly...Brilliant piece of writing oldfast....just brilliant
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:44 am

Oldfast wrote:A piece of hardware.... designed, built, studied, tested and manufactured for ONE sole purpose: TO KEEP YOU OUT. We.... try to get in. The battle that ensues is truly exciting, and is measured in thousandths of an inch! Some of these locks are quite sophisticated, and are not designed by one, but literally teams of some of the brightest minds in the industry. What a thrill to be up against such ingenuity! Also, the thrill is not all about the defeat, but simply marveling at the complexity of some of these beautiful mechanisms.

From one true addict to another: I made a career out of locks and keys. I've been at it for over 40 years, now; and I can testify that the obcession never fades!

Of course, part of what drives it in me is a healthy (or not so healthy) dose of "Hero Complex".
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:02 am

Well put man.
What got me started is the will to know how things work. I'm never satisfied in a way I guess, because I am constantly on the quest for knowledge. If something catches my eye I must find out how it works, why we use it, its history, ect. When I get caught on something, it becomes a bit of an obsession. My problem is that I have ADD lol...... so I skip around between hobbies a lot. But I'm like a sponge. I want to soak up every bit of knowledge around me. I question many things that "normal" people wouldn't even notice. (Or care to)

Riff
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:10 pm

Nice. Your writing made me get out my picks and start picking again for the first time in a long time. It reminded me of how much I use to enjoy it. It just sucks how fast the skills fade when you don't use them. :(
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:41 am

Great write up oldfast - i give newbies 6 months max if your still here ( in the forum ) after thats, then locks & padlocks is in your blood :agree:
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:21 am

Named my daughters middle name Evva. The girlfriend doesnt know that EVVA is a locks manufacturer, so SHHHH!!!! Locks are in my blood bad. I love this hobby so much. I got interested when I took a tour of a prison and saw how secure everything was. I would hear a BUZZZZZ and the SNAP! everytime the doors would open. So I eventually learned that those were intermitten electirc locks... don't quote me on that. So i wondered how and if, one could escape from restraints. I got home and googled "prison lock" and came across Kokomo's video of him picking a Mul-T-Lock Mogul. That blew my fucking mind!!!! I then stumbled across Wizwazzle and Slimpickingsooo. These guys really got my adrenaline going and kinda pissed me off. I thought, "Why do these guys post videos and teach others how to Break in and Enter??' Then I thought,"If they can learn this, Then why can't I???" So I went to lockpicks.com and bought a 4 piece pick set with a book (more like a pamplet) called Easy Pickings. I waited for about a week for it to ship, and in that time, I bought the cheapest master lock I could find. When my picks came, I used a snake rake on the Master lock and it opened instantly! I have been hooked since.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:51 am

mister sour wrote: I have been hooked since.

Lpck picks...hooked...I get it! LOL
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

the picker

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Oldfast wrote: Just what exactly is lockpicking to you?
it started out as a hobby and still is but i hope to have my own business some day and b able to do what i love and get paid for it aka have my cake AND eat it.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:13 pm

the picker wrote:
Oldfast wrote: Just what exactly is lockpicking to you?
it started out as a hobby and still is but i hope to have my own business some day and b able to do what i love and get paid for it aka have my cake AND eat it.

DIDDO!
<<

Oldfast

Post Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:24 pm

Lots of great thoughts guys... thanks for sharing.

darkhorse wrote:Sums it up perfectly...Brilliant piece of writing oldfast....just brilliant

Thank you. I actually found it rather difficult to put into words. Much more difficult than I had anticipated. But yeah, you get the idea... I LOVE this hobby and the people I've met because of it.

magician59 wrote:...I made a career out of locks and keys. I've been at it for over 40 years, now; and I can testify that the obcession never fades!
Of course, part of what drives it in me is a healthy (or not so healthy) dose of "Hero Complex".

That' just awesome... you've been able to do something you love for that long, and that you still enjoy it just as much to this day. And, 40 years! Oh how I wish I could "plug-in" to your brain for a day or two and suck up some of THAT knowledge. lol

Riff wrote:....When I get caught on something, it becomes a bit of an obsession. My problem is that I have ADD lol...
Holy shit, I can certainly relate to that Riff. Also, I'm not sure if you were just joking, or if you really do have ADD.. but I'd imagine a hobby like this would be a great thing for you if you do. And yeah... obsession seems to be a more accurate word for this hobby. But someone once said that to be good at something, you have to be a little on the obsessive side. lol

uklockpicker wrote:.... i give newbies 6 months max if your still here ( in the forum ) after thats, then locks & padlocks is in your blood...
Thanks. And yeah, I think that sounds like a pretty accurate forcast.

mister sour wrote:Named my daughters middle name Evva. The girlfriend doesnt know that EVVA is a locks manufacturer, so SHHHH!!!!
HAHAAA! That's classic man.. and funny! Thanks for sharing how it all started for ya.. that was neat to hear.

ratyoke wrote:Nice. Your writing made me get out my picks and start picking again for the first time in a long time. It reminded me of how much I use to enjoy it. It just sucks how fast the skills fade when you don't use them. :(

Wooohoooo! I was really hoping that someone would say that! Thanks, you made my evening :razz:
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:46 pm

I have two cats, one named Abloy, the other named Schlage (pronounced Schlagey). I told the wife, it's either the cats or the kids.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
See those kids standing by the lake...drop some napalm and watch them bake.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:19 am

chris wrote:I have two cats, one named Abloy, the other named Schlage (pronounced Schlagey). I told the wife, it's either the cats or the kids.

LOL! I still want to name my son (if I ever get one) Keso. But I might just get a German Shepherd and name him that.
<<

Oldfast

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:20 am

Actually, I think that would not only be original... but kinda cool for a name.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Medeco is a cool name for a pet
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
Next

Return to Random Banter