FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

nothin' doin' / it's better this way

<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon May 26, 2008 6:09 pm

nothin' doin' / it's better this way

I went to my local "Master Locksmith" and asked for a job the other day
and was turned down , that was not the big surprise , he said he was
having a tough time paying his staff as it was , too many people on the
"Maintenance bandwagon" who will undercut his rates .
I talked with him for a few minutes and i asked him about picking locks,
he said he DRILLED THEM AS HE COULD CHARGE FOR A NEW LOCK ,
Although i am confident he could pick them i must admit i was dissapointed
with the work ethic , more so than being turned down
:cry:
Open Sez Me !
<<

Site Admin

Post Mon May 26, 2008 6:24 pm

Re: nothin' doin' / it's better this way

honestly that dosent suppirse me, i could make a list of the ammount of locksmiths i know that willl just drill a lock, some just do it cause they are lazy and cant be bothered with picking it but as you said they can charge for a new lock and then plus the labour time. Personnally i hate drilling a lock, it makes me feel deafeated and bugs me for the rest of the day, if it's something like a medeco or assa then fair enough but your standard rim or euro really will annoy me and i will go at it for ages.

Lew
<<

m0ose

Post Mon May 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Re: nothin' doin' / it's better this way

usmcboltaction wrote:Well, admitting that he does it to charge for a new lock is kinda bein a jerk. I can see however, a locksmith not even tryin to pick certain lock. What if it is just the one lock that is your mortal enemy? By the time you give up, and then drill it, you have cost a lot in your time. The name of the game, from what I understand, is speed. And, depending on the conditions, that's what the customer wants. I could see a customer getting pissed cause they got to wait outside their home/business because you are arguin with a lock.

Yeah, but that's just bad business if that's the case for everything. "Hey, I locked my bike up with a $3 combo lock." "Ok, let me just get my nippers!"

Screw that. Sure the general public doesn't know, nor do they understand, but the fact is you should take pride in your work and do the best to your ability daily. To me, it's not all speed either, it's about the safety of the lock aswell, and I know, around here, it'd be bad business to drill or nip every lock and charge for a new one. People really just wouldn't go for it.

Return to Random Banter