FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

calling all locksmiths!

<<

j0siah7

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 21, 2008 5:04 pm

calling all locksmiths!

ok guys I need your help, I have an assignment that i need to finish, what we had to do was pick a career study it and a bunch of other stuff and one of the things you had to do was interview somone in your career. So oviosly I picked locksmith and so here are my questions:

1.what kind of shooling did you get?
2.what's your work environment like?
3.what's your job description?
4.salery-what do you make in a year?
5.hours-how many do you work a week?
6.what's your average day like?

these are just some questions I thought up, it would be great if any of you locksmiths out there could answer these ones, or if your have better questions than mine feel free to post them it would be greatly apriceated.
Last edited by j0siah7 on Wed May 21, 2008 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt's youtube account ---> http://youtube.com/j0siah7

"gives you wiiings"
<<

Site Admin

Post Wed May 21, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: calling all locksmiths!

not being a fully qualified locksmith i can't really help you out there but i should imagine you will get great response from other members.

Lew
<<

j0siah7

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 21, 2008 5:23 pm

usmcboltaction wrote:somone=someone
oviosly=obliviously
salery=salary
apriceated=appreciated

It will help with the grade on your paper too. ;)

come on lew where's that spell check? lol :mrgreen:
(what would be really bad is if there is one and i just don't see it. :mrgreen: )

"gives you wiiings"
<<

Site Admin

Post Thu May 22, 2008 6:41 am

ok ok, seems as a few people have asked about a spell checker already i'm gonna have to add one i suppose, the reason i didnt want to do it before is because theres loads of code work involved and it means creating new MySQL databases which when i try to do always breaks the board, i have a word list and dictionary ready for it so as soon as i get home from work i'll give it a go and just hope for the best.

Lew
<<

m0ose

Post Thu May 22, 2008 7:30 am

Well, being a semi-qualified Locksmith without a job, I'll let you know what I can.

I learned via mail through the Foley-Belsaw institute. The course was a one time payment of $600, and it covers everything from basic things like matching blanks, to more advanced things like cutting keys, forcing entry, and working with security systems. I've currently finished my first set of courses and received my first certificate. However, as far as I know, schooling in the field of locksmithing is not very important, so much as learning from experience and people with said experience. I personally know some great smiths and the most education they got was from the top dog during their time as the new guy.

Currently, I'm aiming to get a job at just a local hardware store for a temp spot. I'd be rekeying locks, cutting keys, and giving advice in the field of locks. I'd also be the new kid, so I'd be sweeping, cleaning, and all that other bitch work for a while, while trying to take in all I could knowledge wise. :P Plus, all for minimum wage, YES!

Since that's the only avenue for myself at this point, that's the best I can tell you. Other than that, I can't help you very much. The most I can tell you is my possible outlook and what I've done to learn. Sorry I couldn't help you more!

Good luck!

Oh, and also.

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layo ... 00175.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_mone ... smith_make

Also, from experience with talking to friends and locksmiths, on average from what they've said, around here, in a rural area, the locksmith here used to get $45 for opening a car, and $40 for opening a house, if I remember right. On a bad week, he'd open around 20 cars, and at least 5 houses. He was also a 24/7 service and never denied anyone. So the price comes with the type of work you want to do. Myself, I'm aiming to get a job at a SUNY (State University of New York) School where my grandfather worked. They currently have others lined up or in for the job, but I've spoken with them all, and they all say that an extra hand isn't bad. However, I never asked them what they make, or what their days are like.

Good luck!
<<

j0siah7

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 22, 2008 6:45 pm

thanks for all the help guys, I'm presenting my powerpoint tuesday, and yes usmc I did use the spell check on powerpoint :D lol

"gives you wiiings"

Return to Random Banter