FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Best Practices...... Sharing Information

<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:29 am

Best Practices...... Sharing Information

Keypicking is an amazing site with knowlegeable users but sometimes really usefull information gets posted on other lockpicking sites.

For example, recently there was a discussing there by Awol about using music wire for tension tools.

It so happens that on many other sites they have content about the same topic that users here would probably find most interesting and usefull.

In the interest of simplicity being able to cut and paste all relevent content from any author on any site may be considered ideal.

HOWEVER ...... we know how that would be viewed by many site admins and authors.

What are the guidelines for sharing content on other sites such as lockpicking101.com?

Would it be a good idea to just give an url link to the other site linking to the topic. or is content for members only and directl links seen as rude?

Should we assume that all users here also monitor lockpicking101.com and there is no need to mention relevent content there or on other sites ?

Back in high school we learned about how to properly site references, using small excerpts and giving proper credit for content....

If Marc Tobias has something relevent to say about tension wrenches and their design and I am writting an academic paper, copyright laws permit me
to directly quote a certain amount of his work provided I give full credit and proper references.

Do the same rules apply when someone posts on lockpicking101, keypicking etc .
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:10 am

Re: Best Practices...... Sharing Information

I have done this with another industry (appliance repair). Here's what I do: "Hey, (username): That is a great idea. Thanks for sharing it. I also support other forums and would like your permission to quote you on this topic, in a post to (forum name). Thanks for a quick reply."
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:23 am

I don't speak for LP101, but the "fair use" clause is something that is being challenged on a daily basis - both pro and con.

I'm not a legal expert - but I do know that there are slimy bastards out there trolling for purported violations of the aforementioned clause, and will sue you at the drop of a hat.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/copyright-trolling-for-dollars/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired27b+%28Blog+-+27B+Stroke+6+%28Threat+Level%29%29

The trend nowadays it seems, is to go after the forum owner/blogger and extort...I mean sue for damages...even though it may have been a USER that posted the article on the forum - and not the site owner. (Read the article and see the "Above Top Secret" example.)

Although this article deals mainly with newspaper articles - I have a feeling it won't be long before someone in the blogging community with a big ego and cheap lawyer takes a similar route towards compensation.

abroxis wrote:If Marc Tobias has something relevant to say about tension wrenches and their design and I am writing an academic paper, copyright laws permit me to directly quote a certain amount of his work provided I give full credit and proper references.

I have no qualms with referring members to articles on other sites (LP101, Tobias, etc.) I figure if you can learn something new, it doesn't matter where that information comes from - and sharing access to that knowledge - within bounds, is acceptable.

But, I will make it clear that cutting and pasting someone's article is not cool and will not be an acceptable practice that I would condone.

However, in the context you describe - an academic paper, properly citing and quoting references, is the preferred method.

But realistically, some forum members on this site are not that well versed in proper reference quotation procedures. Could this forum qualify as an academically inclined discussion group and thus be afforded some legal protection? Probably not.

For the sake of simplicity and legality, I would simply direct the members to the article(s), website, etc., via a url.

Does this help?

<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:42 am

HallisChalmers wrote: Could this forum qualify as an academically inclined discussion group and thus be afforded some legal protection? Probably not.

Heck, Hallis. I couldn't even SPELL "academically", without cuttin-n-pastin!
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:55 pm

it has been done many times on here. You will see many links to lp101 or even other sites... Sometimes excerpts from the directed site. I see no problems sharing as long as you are not taking credit 4 anyone elses work
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:47 pm

Look, IANAL but, really it's simple...

Don't plagarize.
Don't cut and paste unless it's a small quote and you give credit to the source.
DO NOT cut and paste entire articles or posts! DON'T DO IT!

If you find something interesting you want to share that is somewhere else, PLEASE DO SHARE; HOWEVER, ONLY POST A LINK TO THE CONTENT, either with your own description of what it's about, or possibly a very short excerpt (again making it extra clear who/what/where the source is.)

DO NOT link directly to images on other sites in posts without express permission from the creator unless it is under a creative commons license or other free (as in both freedom AND beer) licensing scheme, or otherwise clearly intended to be shared.

Also, direct copying will breed ACTUAL ill will between sites and people. THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING!

Citation is no guarantee of protection from litigation (not to mention there are so many ways to "properly" cite something and there would be no guarantee of consistency) and we also do not want to be receiving DMCA take down orders! If someone were to sue the site, they would certainly go after Hallis, and as the arbiters of content on the site, likely the Admin (ME,) and the Moderators. Which, to say the very least would be uncool, and rest assured if I get sued, I'm going to sue the living crap out of the individual that caused the suit to even be possible, I can't speak for the other on that matter, but I suspect I would not be alone in that sentiment.

We are trying to promote locksport here, not tarnish it by ripping off other site's content.

The legal ground here is very murky and getting more and more hazy by the day as more jurisprudence is falling in the favor of content owners/creators where it seemed like it was well within the grounds of the fair use clause of copyright law.

Let's just use our heads, be safe and just link to content elsewhere UNLESS IT IS YOURS.

If you are copying YOUR OWN post/content from elsewhere that should be fine as you are the creator of the content. This DOES NOT include other's replies!

If that wasn't clear enough, axe gary or something....

-Elbow :akimbo: [/color]

P.S. I ain't no lawyer, this isn't legal advice, just common sense.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:00 pm

elbowmacaroni wrote:Look, IANAL but, really it's simple...

Don't plagarize.
Don't cut and paste unless it's a small quote and you give credit to the source.
DO NOT cut and paste entire articles or posts! DON'T DO IT!

If you find something interesting you want to share that is somewhere else, PLEASE DO SHARE; HOWEVER, ONLY POST A LINK TO THE CONTENT, either with your own description of what it's about, or possibly a very short excerpt (again making it extra clear who/what/where the source is.)

DO NOT link directly to images on other sites in posts without express permission from the creator unless it is under a creative commons license or other free (as in both freedom AND beer) licensing scheme, or otherwise clearly intended to be shared.

Also, direct copying will breed ACTUAL ill will between sites and people. THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING!

Citation is no guarantee of protection from litigation (not to mention there are so many ways to "properly" cite something and there would be no guarantee of consistency) and we also do not want to be receiving DMCA take down orders! If someone were to sue the site, they would certainly go after Hallis, and as the arbiters of content on the site, likely the Admin (ME,) and the Moderators. Which, to say the very least would be uncool, and rest assured if I get sued, I'm going to sue the living crap out of the individual that caused the suit to even be possible, I can't speak for the other on that matter, but I suspect I would not be alone in that sentiment.

We are trying to promote locksport here, not tarnish it by ripping off other site's content.

The legal ground here is very murky and getting more and more hazy by the day as more jurisprudence is falling in the favor of content owners/creators where it seemed like it was well within the grounds of the fair use clause of copyright law.

Let's just use our heads, be safe and just link to content elsewhere UNLESS IT IS YOURS.

If you are copying YOUR OWN post/content from elsewhere that should be fine as you are the creator of the content. This DOES NOT include other's replies!

If that wasn't clear enough, axe gary or something....

-Elbow :akimbo: [/color]

P.S. I ain't no lawyer, this isn't legal advice, just common sense.

What he said... :agree:

Return to Random Banter