FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

I have made a slight change.

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:02 pm

I have made a slight change.

Ok, so awhile back a friend of mine gave me some Peterson picks so that he could try to convince me to use them. It took some time to change from the HPC's that I am so fond of and use the Petersons. I decided I don't like the black handles much, but the red ones are great. SO I bought a Kens pickset today. I think I am done with the HPC's but I think I will keep hold of them. I still think the HPC's are great picks but it was time for a change, you can't really beat the durability of the Petersons and lets face it, the HPC handles are not comfy at all, if your going to be picking a hard lock, don't you want some comfort along with great feedback?? I hope this all works out for me. I will keep ya updated!!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Re: I have made a slight change.

hey, kid, good luck.
I feel the exact same way about HPC.
something about the thin pencil-like handles just works.
excellent feedback,etc.
i have quite a bit of Peterson tools, and just cant get a feel with the thick black rubber handles.
I doubt i ever will.
The dipped ones, however, are just fantastic.
still retaining that pencil grip, but soft and rounded...
(great for long picking sessions..)
looking forward to hearing back from you on this.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:26 pm

I too am a fan of the dipped handled Petersons, I actually took all the HPC and Southord picks I had laying around and put 1 or 2 layers of PlastiDip on them...takes away the harsh edges of HPC picks but maintains the feedback. Cost about 8 bucks for a can of PlastiDip and I've dipped about 20 picks...still have 3/4 of the can left...something for guys to think about if they can't afford to buy Petersons...
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
See those kids standing by the lake...drop some napalm and watch them bake.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:28 pm

hate to say i told ya so but... told ya so...

naa im just kidding. glad to hear ur still with us tho (u havnt been around much) i still need to add hpc to my reviews page...
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:10 pm

LocksmithArmy wrote:hate to say i told ya so but... told ya so...

naa im just kidding. glad to hear ur still with us tho (u havnt been around much) i still need to add hpc to my reviews page...

I visited your page the other day, I thought you had more reviews on there for picks than what I saw. You got a nice start though. I was really thinking about going with Rytan for awhile, I usually like to use stuff that alot of others are not using. Rytan isn't very common on this site and I thought I would be the one to use them, I changed my mind after awhile though, I have heard good and bad, and there harder to find.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:09 pm

ive only herd good... but i only hear abt their mini blue set, not the rest of their line... i would love a rytan set.. gut they are not cheap
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:15 pm

I love my Rytan mini blues, and the standard are a little bendy for me, but better than southord!!!!
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:02 am

I'm a die-hard fan of the HPC line. I also regularly use Rytan picks. My go-to pick right now is a Rytan mini double-ender; medium hook/half diamond. Hardly a lock i can't pick with this baby! Maybe i'll get a chance soon to try Peterson's picks, but, like most of you, my money's a little scarce right now.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:20 pm

magician59 wrote:I'm a die-hard fan of the HPC line. I also regularly use Rytan picks. My go-to pick right now is a Rytan mini double-ender; medium hook/half diamond. Hardly a lock i can't pick with this baby! Maybe i'll get a chance soon to try Peterson's picks, but, like most of you, my money's a little scarce right now.

A locksmith friend of mine in Idaho gave me a Rytan double ender, same as yours, mine is pretty much a slim line. It works pretty well in locks with tight keyways. It's the only Rytan I own, he gave me a bunch of stuff when he sold his shop.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:37 pm

So you will no longer be issuing LPK's HPC guarantee? :mrgreen: I've got a set stainless set with thin and standard picks in place of the filler picks. I really like it, but yeah, using them alot isn't so kind on the finger bones.

I prefer the plastic and rubber handled petersons. Not a big fan of the dip. I cut it off the ones I like and use something more rigid.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:49 pm

Of the picks that were gifted to me, there is some red handled picks that are really flimsy, and there is a diffent type of red handle, the flimsy ones are not real desirable, but the other one is great. I have the black rubber hybrid diamond it workds great I just can't get a good feel with the rubber, it feels great on the fingers, just I can't get a good feel for what the lock is doing, the feedback I think is too muffled. With practice the black rubber may get better but so far it is not working for me. It's hard to part with the HPC line, and it's even harder to adjust your fingers to the feel of the Petersons after using the HPC's. I really don't want to part with the HPC's totally but I have to practice what I preach, it is not a good practice to use all different brands of picks, (for most people) going from brand to brand really hinders your picking in my opinion as all picks give different feedback. The reason I am parting ways with HPC is due to the fact of durability, the HPC line is durable but I have been putting a belly in the shaft of the hook picks, I use them alot so I think the metal is fatiguing in them, I feel that the Petersons are going to give me more life and more life is less money in the long run.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Gee whiz, Kid: You must be using a lot of force on those hooks! I think that's why it's a good idea to experiment with as many brands and styles as you can afford. After a while, you'll settle on a brand you like and probably be loyal to it for a long time. Some of my favorite hooks and half-diamonds have been my companions for decades.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:43 pm

magician59 wrote:Gee whiz, Kid: You must be using a lot of force on those hooks! I think that's why it's a good idea to experiment with as many brands and styles as you can afford. After a while, you'll settle on a brand you like and probably be loyal to it for a long time. Some of my favorite hooks and half-diamonds have been my companions for decades.

I sometimes find myself picking a lock and I have to use more force than sometimes normal to force a security pin to set, some of these locks if I eez up on the tension I lose set pins. For instance, the Chateue disk locks, have a Yale like keyway and some wicked spools, I have to use a lot of force on the pick sometimes to push them into a set. Otherwise I don't feel like I overdo it at all, I do use my picks alot, I pick alot of locks, I know......I am not one of those picks a Medeco everyday type of guys, but I do pick alot of locks, I feel like I have worn these picks out somewhat. We will see what happens with these, ya know, there is lots of different brands available, and I am still young, there may be lots more changes.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:12 pm

Well, I ordered my set on the 2nd of this month, today is the 10th, so far no picks, I am starting to get pissed off this is why I don't order shit from china, this is the U.S.A.
<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:58 am

the lockpickkid wrote:Well, I ordered my set on the 2nd of this month, today is the 10th, so far no picks, I am starting to get pissed off this is why I don't order shit from china, this is the U.S.A.

As long as the paint doesn't have lead in it lol.
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

-Ron Burgundy
Next

Return to Random Banter