FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Schlage "F" Series

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:36 pm

Schlage "F" Series

I don't know what the "F" stands for, but I have a pretty good idea!! Does anybody like these locks? I have had to repin a few and I hate them, what kind of deal is this? Is it just me or are these junk!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Schlage "F" Series

I like the schlage F knobsets. a slight tap with a hammer... and the springloaded button will allow access for a spit second... its like bumping the pushbutton instead of bumping with a key...

tap the face and turn the knob, ur in...

I wish i had one to mount and play with at home lol.

junk
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:22 pm

LSA... smack it with a hammer? Better check your source on that one.

I've got a few F series suggestions on where they can shove that special service kit! I avoid picking them whenever possible to avoid mangling the springs in a false set. I try to push down the floating book plate as level as possible too. Damn things can bend and let go if it gets too tilty.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:53 pm

The last one I rekeyed, that stupid floating bible cap, fricken popped off. If you want to rekey something in a quick manner, the last thing you want to happen is to lose that cap and dump all the springs and top springs out. What was the purpose of that floating cap anyways? Oh, and another thing, that stupid "C" clip on the back of the plug, what the hell!! That thing is a bear to get off without the "special tool"!!!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:58 pm

The only real purpose I see to it is asthetics. The floater makes it so the knob can be one piece.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:59 pm

LocksmithArmy wrote:I like the schlage F knobsets. a slight tap with a hammer... and the springloaded button will allow access for a spit second... its like bumping the pushbutton instead of bumping with a key...

tap the face and turn the knob, ur in...

I wish i had one to mount and play with at home lol.

junk

Does this really work? You just tap the knob and pull and the knob on the outside comes off?
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:09 pm

LSA just sent me the info. It's a real knob masher, but it makes sense... in the BPDE forum! :rant:
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:18 pm

its not so much a tap... or bpde... its not supposed to be destructive lol, u just dont know ur own strength tooly lol

hit it hard then turn... quite hard...
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:51 am

Don't know what all the fuss is about. I have no problem picking these locks. Also, as long as you don't remove that compressible pin cap, it shouldn't come back to bite you in the shorts. Just keep the pick guns away from this one!
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:33 am

just gently pick it and i dont have any issues... If the cap does come off cause u are rough... just use a comb pick
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:45 am

Picking isn't the problem, it's more that stupid pin cap, too flimsy, and comes off way to easy, I can't guarantee the ones I have repinned are going to hold up, because I really can't see why they hold up from the factory for very long. They seem very cheesy, if I didn't know any better I would except the same construction from Master Lock.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:58 am

They make the spring cap that way for the purpose of "compressibility", so it can be fit into the single-piece knobs. You'll notice that it is slightly barbed, to stay on the flange of the cylinder's bible. It isn't designed to be removed very often (like, more than once), without irreversible damage. The proper way to rekey these cylinders is to remove the c-clip and follow out the plug. (I also cuss that little clip at times). The F series locks are grade 3, and intended to be used as such. It's totally up to you and your relationship with your customers, as to whether you just sell a replacement lock, or risk the warranty issues associated with your labor in a re key situation.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:21 pm

I always follow the plug out, but the other day I rekeyed one to some keys we had on hand, for some reason I got fouled up and was stuck, I couldn't get it shimmed so I had to take the cover off, a rookie mistake I guess!! I managed to get the cover back on and no complaints yet.

Return to Random Banter