FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Hinge/Door alignment

<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:06 pm

Hinge/Door alignment

It has occurred to me that often , when a lock fails/jams it is not the lock that is to blame in some cases as poor door alignment
places undue stress on the lock and shortens its working life .
So as a locksmith , do you replace the lock and ride off into the sunset , or do you remedy the underlying problem ?
Quite a lot of residential front doors are UPVC these days using euro cylinders to throw multiple dead bolts ,
the hinges have various adjustment points , anyone have a methodical approach ?
Open Sez Me !
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Hinge/Door alignment

Well, my opinion is that a good professional would tell the owner of the lock about the problem with the door and go from there, I would think it to be best if you fixed the door in order to save the owners money from repeated lock repairs. I seen a lock on a commercial building I done some work at, I was told that 3 or 4 locksmiths had replaced locks and parts, I looked at the door and some guy had actually took a grinder to the door frame in order to make the door quit rubbing, I was impressed at his handywork for sure. I would never work on some of these doors, as the door repair can be a trade all of it's own, some of them are complicated.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.

Return to Random Banter