FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

1st paid job !

<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:32 pm

1st paid job !

Hiya folks , just had to tell you all , i just did my first ever lockpicking job today !
I'd been telling a guy who has a kid in the same school class as my daughter that i pick locks
as a hobby and that i'm making a set in stainless steel for a pal when he asked me if i could
open a french door (patio door) it turns out that his kids had been playing at the grandparents
and the key to the door had disappeared , so he felt obliged to get the problem sorted but his
father was not keen on drilling the lock as he was worried about the window shattering so i said i'd give it a go
the lock had a wall to the left and an awkward protruding handle to the right , i went outside to try it but the keyway was
internal access only , so back inside and raking the lock (left handed)it popped after a few minutes and i removed the cylinder
i hadn't set a price but i was just relieved the damned thing opened for me , the £20 was nice and 5 pints bought by the guy
who asked me to do the job were very tasty !
Like a complete div i forgot to take any photos but overall i was over the moon so i'll get over that !
The lock was a Union pin tumbler , a stubby little thing .
Open Sez Me !
<<

bouncer965

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:36 pm

Re: 1st paid job !

Hahahaha fecking nice one.

Gotta ask though ........was the old adrenaline pumping a bit ??????

its a lot different when your doing it for someone that is locked out or asking you to do it for them than sitting at your workstation picking a lock for fun hahahahahahaa

Nice one i had one for a friend that locked herself out and got it picked open .........best buzz in the world
[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:57 pm

It is a great buzz, and I get it every time, it don't go away!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

bouncer965

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:04 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:It is a great buzz, and I get it every time, it don't go away!

Blimey .......i might have to give up sex and become a locksmith :lol: :lol:

<<

ChemicalRobot

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:18 pm

bouncer965 wrote:Blimey .......i might have to give up sex and become a locksmith :lol: :lol:

Obvious solution would be to pick locks while having sex.
Howdy!
<<

bouncer965

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:26 pm

ChemicalRobot wrote:
bouncer965 wrote:Blimey .......i might have to give up sex and become a locksmith :lol: :lol:

Obvious solution would be to pick locks while having sex.

Hmm tried that and the missus didnt seem to go for that idea.............mind you dont think she was too impressed when the OH YES for openning the lock wa a bit more enthusiastic than the vinegar stroke :? :?

<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:52 pm

Yeah big difference from picking at a desk while its quiet than picking with people standing around watching and talking..usually you will be cramped in an akward spot kneeling .Thats why i put locks on a homemade stand to practice or teach someone. When i got back into locksmithing i thought no big deal till you get out in the field on a job and you are like...what the hell this is an easy lock..why is it not opening...after a while you learn to tune out people and relax..Anyways CONGRATS on your first job. Even if you keep doing it as a hobby...here is a tip...Never leave to a job/ paying customer without discussing a price. Dont assume they will pay you what you ask. By telling someone up front nobody can be confused or get pissed. Some people think you will come out and use your gas and time for free...Even if you do it part time or are just helping someone...Charge what your worth...gas and picks and tools arent free and most of all discuss what you exspect to be paid before you get there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:32 pm

thelockoutguys has a valid point, it don't pay good to be a nice guy all the time, I know this because I feel sorry for people alot, and I don't get paid good because of it sometimes.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

loki

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:26 am

Nice job. 20 quid and a few pints. I'd say your probably really hooked now. :D
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:00 am

Nice 1 nozza good on ya m8ty, the 1st job i got was a padlock job ! i drilled the hell out of it ! STILL GOT THE SAME MONEY :D
<<

bouncer965

Post Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:17 am

Ok so heres a question for some of the lokies out there. I know that in my area the lockie is charging about 100-135 a call out and thats in euros.........$130-150 on rough calculation. Now that is just for a standard call out. And i do be believe he charge by the hour thereafter. Now for me that seems like some hefty bill. I would feel embarrassed asking for 50.

So whats the price variations compared to states and other countries.........you dont have to give exact figures obviously im not wanting to cause a row over what different lockies are charging but just curious to see what the differences are form area to area and one country to another.

And lets say for arguments sake that its a day call out and you picked the lock in say 20 minutes.

<<

game

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:45 am

Nice man my first paid job was when some one locked their locker locked and forgot their key before a football game $5 and two fortress 40mms to pick lol not exactly a high paying job.
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:12 am

well shops do charge alot..because of the overhead. They dont make as much money as people think they do. Most of it goes towards bills. Insurance, bonds, vehicles, gas, advertisements ect. The problem with people going around and doing work cheap is that..you undercut the first guy ..you start getting calls because you way cheaper...the next guy has to undercut you to get any work..Pretty soon everybody is making no money.. Yes i could get more work if i did work cheaper than my competitors..but it wouldnt last in the long run.. I Keep my prices the same as everybody else and on some things im a little higher.. But your name will get out there and people will call you because you are good.not because you are cheap. I get people calling around and checking prices and then call me later to open things that the first (CHEAP GUY ) couldnt get open or didnt have the right tools. As many know professional tools can get quite expensive and you need to make your money back on these. People say ..oh that was quick..why do you charge so much ?? They dont see the thousands of dollars or tools i have that need to be paid for. Charge a professional price and it also makes you look professional.. If someone told me a guy just opened my house up for $20... I know for sure he doesnt do it full time or is not a professional. He could never pay off tools or pay the bills or gas for that much..Hope this helps a little if you decide to get into trade...its ok do be cheaper..but when people undercut lockies...they get pissed and you can bet they will remember that down the road when you might need something.. But as a hobbiest you dont have to worry about that.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:19 pm

It's been so long...I don't properly remember my first paying opening. The feeling of the conquest, however, never dissipates. Well done!
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

ChicoSlim803

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:56 pm

service calls in the Charlotte,NC area are around 50- 70 usd.

way to go on the job
Next

Return to Random Banter