FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My Medeco sidebar horror story

<<

ChemicalRobot

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 pm

My Medeco sidebar horror story

So as you may or may not know, I recently got a hold of a Medeco biaxial cylinder. I've been having great fun trying to learn the nuances of pin rotation, along with the mechanics of how the lock functions overall.

Well, today I decided to remove the sidebar for the 2nd time. I forget why. Well, you know those very tiny springs the sidebar has? One of those sprang out and fell into my shag carpeting. To some of you this might not be a big deal since you might have extras from other locks, but to someone who has just started out with these sorts of locks it is a terrible feeling to lose one.

Of course, I did what anyone would do and take a flashlight and start scoping around. I spent a good 45 minutes looking through it but found nothing. I knew it was in there but it was much too small to see. The next step I did was to take a magnet across the ground in hopes that it would be picked up. Again, nothing.

So I went for the final route and pulled out the vacuum cleaner. Went over the whole area with the vacuum and then emptied it onto a stainless steel tray. And let me tell you something, you realize that there's a lot more dirt in there than you think when you're forced to rummage though it. :( I took a few different magnets through it and thought nothing showed up. Finally as I was giving up, I checked the magnets one last time and finally found it! Turns out I had been going through the dirt for a good 10 minutes longer than I had needed to because I failed to check the whole magnet. :lol:
Howdy!
<<

Thedonofdeath

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: My Medeco sidebar horror story

and thats why you should take apart a lock unless you really have to.
<<

barbarian

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:42 pm

Take it apart inside a big ziplock bag is nice too. ;)
<<

ChemicalRobot

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:42 pm

Thedonofdeath wrote:and thats why you should take apart a lock unless you really have to.

I disagree entirely. Taking apart the lock was paramount to me fully understanding how the sidebar functions and I have no regrets. I had seen videos and images beforehand but it didn't compare to being able to manipulate a physical lock right in front of me.

barbarian wrote:Take it apart inside a big ziplock bag is nice too. ;)

Good idea! I might try that next time. I think part of the problem was that I wasn't aware that the springs weren't secured in place.
Howdy!
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:08 pm

Thedonofdeath wrote:and thats why you should take apart a lock unless you really have to.

I also disagree. You can look at hundreds of videos, look through all the pictures you can find, but nothing beats breaking down a lock yourself to see what exactly is in there and how it works. Also I read that lots of people take the sidebars out and learn to pick with and without them, also with Medeco especially it is nice to take out pins and learn to pick them by progressing the pins from one to 5 or 6 until you can pick them. Thats what I do, but unfortunately I still can't pick the one I have!! I come really close but not close enough!!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

pjzstones

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:35 pm

oh no! i almost had the same thing happen two days ago.
i think they are magnetic so you could try using a large magnet to search for it. just try not to step in the area and mat it down. hope you find it or another one.
<<

usmcboltaction

Funny Guy/Bouncer

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:37 pm

pjzstones wrote:oh no! i almost had the same thing happen two days ago.
i think they are magnetic so you could try using a large magnet to search for it. just try not to step in the area and mat it down. hope you find it or another one.

Read to the bottom of the post, hotrod.
<<

pjzstones

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:40 pm

usmcboltaction wrote:
pjzstones wrote:oh no! i almost had the same thing happen two days ago.

Read to the bottom of the post, hotrod.

yeah i kind of jumped the gun and only read the first paragraph. then read the rest after i replied. opps.
<<

barbarian

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:47 pm

ChemicalRobot wrote: I think part of the problem was that I wasn't aware that the springs weren't secured in place.

That's how engineers get their giggles... There is a whole class in fourth year about how to design stuff that will fly apart and get lost. :D
<<

ChicoSlim803

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:54 pm

ifi remember correctly that happened to me as well when i took mine apart. sux so bad
<<

bouncer965

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:13 am

Well the good part is tht your certainly not the only one on here that has been on hands and knees trying to find lock parts..............and certainly wont be the last.

I for one have given my missus many moments of joy seeing me on my knees looking for springs and pins.

And i 100% agree on your logic about stripping a lock to find out exactly the working mechanism of the lock especially ones with sidebars. I stripped my classic because i couldnt get my head around the meaning of rotating the pins. So i stripped it and now have a working knowledge of the lock and exactly how it should be approached with picking technique.............doesnt mean i can pick it yet !!!!!!! But yeah if not sure strip the lock understand how it works an then you gain a wealth of knowledge in the process.
[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:31 am

You're only partially there, my friend. The next lesson is to have an important part disintergate before your eyes, while working at night, on a customer's lock.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:32 am

the lockpickkid wrote:

I also disagree. You can look at hundreds of videos, look through all the pictures you can find, but nothing beats breaking down a lock yourself to see what exactly is in there and how it works. Also I read that lots of people take the sidebars out and learn to pick with and without them, also with Medeco especially it is nice to take out pins and learn to pick them by progressing the pins from one to 5 or 6 until you can pick them. Thats what I do, but unfortunately I still can't pick the one I have!! I come really close but not close enough!!

i agree 100% ,kid.
until you see the guts,you dont really grasp the inner workings and functions of parts,how they work together,etc,because it's really just visualization and theory,until you take it apart and actually see the parts.
(with so many differing types of lock,all working on the same basic principle , i almost feel it a necessary step to tear down and reassemble,just to get a real feel of what's going on inside..so i feel "i really have to"....)
i think the explosion thing happens to every picker when they first start breakdowns...i know i lost a multitude of springs,pins,and doo-hickeys when i first started...
lucky for the O.P. you lost one of only three magnetic parts in the biaxial...and the feeling of relocating one of those little buggers is very similar the feeling of popping a lock..
"ahhhhhhhh."

[quote= That's how engineers get their giggles... There is a whole class in fourth year about how to design stuff that will fly apart and get lost. :D[/quote]

I knew it!
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

Return to Random Banter