FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Show us your shelf.....

<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:09 pm

Re: Show us your shelf.....

HiNtZ wrote:Ahhh, I can spot a twin a mile off! It is one of my all time favorites. It looks like it's been picked in the picture too! Well done!

Well, yes and no. I have picked it with the elements seperate, but never fully assembled. I know that it has been suggested by some to be an easier mechanism to manipulate than the Schlage Primus, because of the extra keyway space and the fact the Primus has rotating side bar pins, but I cannot agree with that less. Primus doesn't have those nightmare spool pins.

That's a great cutaway. Really clean. Has being able to see the pieces moving made it possible for you to pick it? Sometimes I feel like even if I could see the guts it wouldn't help keep everything from dropping.

-Tooly
<<

HiNtZ

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:06 am

ToolyMcgee wrote:
HiNtZ wrote:Ahhh, I can spot a twin a mile off! It is one of my all time favorites. It looks like it's been picked in the picture too! Well done!

Well, yes and no. I have picked it with the elements seperate, but never fully assembled. I know that it has been suggested by some to be an easier mechanism to manipulate than the Schlage Primus, because of the extra keyway space and the fact the Primus has rotating side bar pins, but I cannot agree with that less. Primus doesn't have those nightmare spool pins.

That's a great cutaway. Really clean. Has being able to see the pieces moving made it possible for you to pick it? Sometimes I feel like even if I could see the guts it wouldn't help keep everything from dropping.

-Tooly

I've tried a few times to pick it as a cutaway, but failed. It's extremely hard to set those nasty serrated sidebar pins.

The lock tends to bind between the sidebar mechanism and the pin tumbler mechanism. By that I mean if i set a pin stack, I then have to set one of the sidebar pins, then back to pin tumbler, then back to sidebar again. Very tedious!

I've tried setting the pin tumbler side on its own then move on to the sidebar, but that doesn't work.

To be honest, I've almost totally lost intrest in picking. I've found myself drawn to the collecting of locks and keys, and as a result moved on to cutting them away for my own collection and also for sale to help with purchasing new items for my collection. It's also a good way of allowing other people to own either extremely rare, or even non existant high security cutaways.

I'm looking to do some ASSA Twin oval cylinders in the comming weeks, I can't wait, because I'm not really a fan of rim cylinders as they take a lot of machining just to be able to get close to doing the actual display cuts.

Thanks for your nice comments :)
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:16 pm

HiNtZ wrote: The lock tends to bind between the sidebar mechanism and the pin tumbler mechanism. By that I mean if i set a pin stack, I then have to set one of the sidebar pins, then back to pin tumbler, then back to sidebar again. Very tedious!

I've tried setting the pin tumbler side on its own then move on to the sidebar, but that doesn't work.

Yeah, most people who claim to have picked a twin lock usually step away from the table with a rip van winkle beard to do a short victory dance before passing out from exhaustion :lol: In most cases it seems like the machineing of the individual lock allows for a binding order that makes picking it possible, or the excessive wear put on the lock through picking allows for a binding order that can be followed to compleation. Either way it is top notch high security manipulation on a level where luck takes a back seat to skill and patience, or you are the luckiest SOB who ever picked up a lock pick.

HiNtZ wrote:To be honest, I've almost totally lost intrest in picking. I've found myself drawn to the collecting of locks and keys, and as a result moved on to cutting them away for my own collection and also for sale to help with purchasing new items for my collection. It's also a good way of allowing other people to own either extremely rare, or even non existant high security cutaways.

Rare high security lock cutaway collection is an excellent undertaking. You don't have to pick them to enjoy the mechanisms. Any idiot can tear a cylinder up with dime store lock picks, but not many people are doing good work with high sec cutaways. It is more gratifying in the long term to make a project really come together, than it is to successfully pick a lock. It's an accomplishment that's easier to relive, because it has a tangible result that you don't have to be able to replicate.

Besides the machining hassle, I think that the ovals and other less common cylinders make for cooler collectable cutaways. Can't wait to see what you can do with the TWINs.

-Tooly
<<

omegaman

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:14 am

some very nice locks in the show me you're shelf section guys
(HAHA)

Hintz if you see this before you read you're e-mails let me know if you are still selling that medeco cutaway
<<

jkthecjer

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:07 am

My "shelf" is just a canvas bag that I dump out while lock-geeking right now. But here is pic I took a while back of some of my interesting stuff:

http://www.theamazingking.com/images/locks/lock-collect.jpg
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:05 am

jkthecjer wrote:My "shelf" is just a canvas bag that I dump out while lock-geeking right now. But here is pic I took a while back of some of my interesting stuff:

http://www.theamazingking.com/images/locks/lock-collect.jpg

what a lock-nerd!...
(just kiddin',jk, u r the shiznit,m8..)
how's the temps in Africa ,@ the moment?
i know..off topic, i will get my shelf up asap
PAX
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

HiNtZ

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:46 am

I've passed on some of my nerdyness :p

Omegaman has the Biaxial now ;)
<<

jkthecjer

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:48 am

awol70 wrote:what a lock-nerd!...
(just kiddin',jk, u r the shiznit,m8..)
how's the temps in Africa ,@ the moment?
i know..off topic, i will get my shelf up asap
PAX

I hear that back on base its rediculous; something like 120F. However, the area that I'm in is nice; we're only seeing between 70 and 90 :-)

I do miss the luxuries of the US though. Things like Stuffed-crust pepperoni pizzas, Taco Bell, hot showers, and 2600 meetings :-P

HiNtZ: Mad props for passing the Medeco nerdiness torch :-)
<<

omegaman

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:12 am

just re-visited the thread & let me say jkthecjer very nice shelf to (HAHA)

and yes I am eagerly awaiting the medeco I just purchased from Hintz :D
Previous

Return to Random Banter