FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Longest key blank found on the usual key ring

<<

pickmonger2

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:32 am

Longest key blank found on the usual key ring

In the universe of common key blanks found at locksmith shops what are some of the longest keys (bow and blade) available.

I suspect its probably an automotive blank

I am look for a key blank suitable to grind into a several tools and my Schlage blanks are too short.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:34 am

Re: Longest key blank found on the usual key ring

Not sure how common they would be in shops but you can get the long blade Best blanks. They are something like 1/2"? longer than normal 7 pin blanks IIRC.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

pickmonger2

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:26 pm

Thank you very much for the suggestion

I asked my local locksmith shop and for some reason the sales clerk said she needed a name of a blank to enter into the computer.

When I called back and mentioned your suggestion the locksmith said sure that would work and will order me 10.

I am going to have a friend grind me some keyring screw drivers and a knife blade or 2.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:52 pm

Check out Silca RV1 and RV4, two very long blanks for the old Rivers system bar locks made in Australia. It won’t be at your local locksmith, but there are some on eBay Australia at the moment.

…Mark
<<

Visitor

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:40 am

I don't think key blank steel will be strong enough for screwdrivers or a nice blade but I'm interested to hear how you get on.
It might be simpler to buy and modify a pocket knife in the style of a Swiss army knife.
<<

pickmonger2

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:39 am

I saw some being sold at a flea market for $20 a piece and decide to try my own.

My buddy is an ultra skilled DIY toolmaker who knows about grinding water cooling hardening annealing and that kind of stuff.

We are getting various other key blanks to try out. Obviously I will get steel and not brass blanks

Return to Random Banter