FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

KP - Dedicated Server

<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:00 pm

KP - Dedicated Server

NOTICE

“With this notification we would like to inform you that our in-house Website Performance Monitoring System (WPMS) has signaled that your account keypicking.com constantly uses a large amount of the server's CPU resources.

As you know, your account is hosted on a shared server and thus sharing the server resources with other customers' websites.

Your account's CPU usage is 63 900 script executions per day. The industry standard for CPU usage of a shared account is 12 000.…your website's CPU usage is well above SiteGround's maximum allowed usage per hosting account, which, as we already mentioned, is much higher than the standard hosting industry usage. In other words - your website requires a thorough optimization and/or a more powerful hosting environment….

Upgrading to a dedicated solution is indeed the best option for growing websites such as yours. The dedicated solution will meet your growing business needs over a long period of time.

1. Main option - Core 2 Duo Managed Dedicated Server

Your website repeatedly/constantly goes over the allowed CPU usage and this is why we believe this dedicated server will be the best option for your growing website. With this hosting solution you will enjoy a great freedom in managing and accessing your account and most of all you will have all the resources that you need at your disposal. Additionally, the dedicated server will ensure that you have the necessary amount of resources to maintain the steady expansion of your website and its growing popularity.

2. Alternative solution - Atom Dual-Core 330 Managed Dedicated Server

The alternative solution will accommodate your website for the time being and will offer you the resources that are required for the moment. However, if you plan to further develop and expand your website, we strongly advise you to choose the main option that our system administrators suggested.

Our team would like to thank you for your cooperation and timely response on this matter!

Best regards,
Ivaylo Todorov
The SiteGround Team”

So what does all this mean?

In order for KP to continue to exist, I was required to move the site from a shared server to a dedicated server, using the above-mentioned Alternative Solution at a monthly cost of $179/mo.

Now all of a sudden, my wonderful locksport hobby – which I was glad to share with my fellow enthusiasts, has started to become a very expensive proposition.

Consequently, I will need to come up with some way of generating the necessary funds to keep this site functioning on an ongoing basis.

I’m really opposed to banners and other crap on the forum to generate cash – but if that’s what it boils down to, I may have no other choice.

HC
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: KP - Dedicated Server

Wow, thats alot of money. You may have to use banners to try to generate the income. If you think there is anything I can help with, please let me know.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:15 pm

How are other sites raising money?? Probably just banner ads right. Same here if there is anything I can do let me know.
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:25 pm

Im with these guys, let me know if there is anything i can do for kp 8-)
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:31 pm

I will certainly do my part for KP in fact I am playing the lottery as we speak :D

In all seriousness whatever solution is decided upon we all need to come together to keep KP up and running! If you have any ideas for generating income to keep KP going feel free to PM myself or any other member of the team and we will look into it.
<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:16 pm

Assuming that KP goes with Ads and banners any idea how much of that
$179 will be covered.

I know that lockpicking101.com seems to survive on ad revenue perhaps that would work here.

When I couldn't afford the rent on a house a few years ago I got a room mate to help share the rent.

Perhaps KP could co host with someone or an other group that needs a good host.

How portable is the content on this site. Could we not search for a host with better rates and move the site to a new host.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:09 pm

There is no way we could move this to another hosting site I don't think, without losing info, and sometimes I don't think you can do that because of copyright stuff. I don't know though. There will be a solution though, it will come.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:15 pm

abroxis wrote:Assuming that KP goes with Ads and banners any idea how much of that
$179 will be covered.

I know that lockpicking101.com seems to survive on ad revenue perhaps that would work here.

When I couldn't afford the rent on a house a few years ago I got a room mate to help share the rent.

Perhaps KP could co host with someone or an other group that needs a good host.

How portable is the content on this site. Could we not search for a host with better rates and move the site to a new host.

I don't know yet how much of the cost I could cover with banners and ads, etc. But if I can generate some revenue from those two options and whatever contributions that the members donate - I may be able to squeak by.

I just need to do more research and look at the numbers and options available to see what I can come up with.
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:00 am

Whatever you need Hallischalmers.
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
<<

eeze

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:48 am

hello every one, the cost of the server is a serious problem and i dont think that any one would object to having ad banners, also not to long ago there was a post about credit card picks and the possibility of us designing a pick template and getting it manufactured, why dont we have a quick contest amongst our selves to design 2 or 3 templates that could be manufactured, i dont think that there is a member here that would not buy them all, i know i would. i think that we should seriously consider this, if you could find out the dimensions of the card i will get on to designing templates immediatly. i really like this site every one is so freindly and helpfull its our duty to help keep it going .
<<

eeze

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:58 am

its me again, just wanted to say that i had no idea of how much it costs to run a site and that i have just made a small paypal donation, i know its small, but unfortunately times are very hard at the moment especially if like me you have five children, if we could all make a small donation then i think that a little bit here and a little bit there all adds up and at the end of the day helps.
<<

eeze

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:55 am

hello every one this is a template for credit card pick set that i have just put together, the picks are from my epg set all you have to imagine is that the end of the pick is longer and shaped as a handle,
there are 4 picks and 3 rakes plus a double round for wafer locks , it has 4 tension wrenches on the out side, the tips of 2 of the tension wrenches are smaller than the other 2
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:06 am

I think adds and banners are the way to go. I really dont know how other sites make it, but I think their example should be followed. I would be curious to know how much revenue they adds would bring in to see if this is even possible. But like you said, with the adds and donations of members it might be possible.

Suggestion: Would there be any possible way to have maybe a counter on the website which would countback from $179 as adds/donations come in? You know it's not that I dont trust you. It's that if you are short $100 one month, and I've already made my donation for that month, I'm not even going to know that you are short the $100 dollars. That would at least let me know and give me the oportunity to put in just a little more that particular month. That was just an example. My point is IMO something should be on the site, in your face (but nice) everytime you login reminding you that someone has to pay for this. Something to remind people that it's not free for YOU, who is keeping us running, rather than everyone else who just types the address in and pulls up KP. I know this is probably a radical idea because we are talking about money, and I know some people can get wierd about that shit. But I dont care what it takes. We need to keep this site running.
Suggestion: Could someone possibly host the server (or whatever it's called) in their home? If they are trustworthy and know what they're doing? I have NO CLUE what goes into the hardware expense part of servers. But it seems to me that $179 a month is a bit high for just hosting KP there. It seems like we could have OUR OWN server hosted for cheaper than that. Sure, maybe it will be a good chunk of change to start (guessing $2000 in hardware????) but IMO it would be worth it in the longrun. After things were paid off we would be home free. (with my understanding of how this works) Everyone would be able to relax a whole lot more after that, and we would'nt be constantly worrying about the end of the month. Because I believe just about everyone here right now is sincere in trying to help. OR at least the CORE group we have here. It's right in our face right now BUT eventually people will get complacent. I dunno, I just see a future issues with that. That also takes me back to suggestion 1. Something to remind people what it cost to have this site running.
Besides that I'm all for contests, members making things, and other fundraisers. I just hope that doesnt become a huge job in itself for you, HC to keep track of. More work doesnt always equal more fun. But like I said before, whatever it takes. :mrgreen:
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:00 pm

i suggest as tooly put forth...pool resources get a dedicated server box.....
just my 2 bits...@180+$$ a month...?
maybe we could get a dualcore CPU server off Ebay for P-nuts and have all our pics/posts backed up to an external drive...?
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

HallisChalmers

Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:21 am

eeze wrote:hello every one this is a template for credit card pick set that i have just put together, the picks are from my epg set all you have to imagine is that the end of the pick is longer and shaped as a handle,
there are 4 picks and 3 rakes plus a double round for wafer locks , it has 4 tension wrenches on the out side, the tips of 2 of the tension wrenches are smaller than the other 2

Thanks for the suggestion eeze - let me look into this.
Next

Return to Random Banter