FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Yale head scratcher

<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:41 pm

Yale head scratcher

I have this Yale Jr Disc tumbler lock. Found 3 working keys for it. Also picked it to where it should open. All keys turn 1/8 clockwise. The lock is in the open position but the shackle does not pop up. I've soaked the shackle and keyway with PB. I've never had this happen. Lock is still locked even when keys are turned to opening position.
DSCI1110.JPG
DSCI1112.JPG
DSCI1111.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:04 pm

Re: Yale head scratcher

I've seen a few of those, although I would have called them wafers not discs. The sliders and core invariably feel really sludgy, like it's immersed in treacle...and the shackles often don't pop.

The body is some horrible cheap alloy...(maybe made post war when decent materials were still scarce? Dunno.)...and my best guess to date is that there's some electrochemical reaction that galls the shackle to the body and seizes it.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:03 pm

I have a similar Corbin padlock with the same problem. It used to work fine then one day it stopped releasing the shackle.
I think the mechanism has a weak point that wears out.

Cheers :)
<<

Visitor

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:06 am

When in unlocked position slide some shims down the shackle to see if it's being released. A soft mallet and some wd40 should get it moving.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:28 am

Visitor wrote:When in unlocked position slide some shims down the shackle to see if it's being released. A soft mallet and some wd40 should get it moving.

Tried to no avail. Think Femurat is on target that mechanism is worn.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

Deadlock

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:44 am

MHM wrote:I've seen a few of those, although I would have called them wafers not discs. The sliders and core invariably feel really sludgy, like it's immersed in treacle...and the shackles often don't pop.

The body is some horrible cheap alloy...(maybe made post war when decent materials were still scarce? Dunno.)...and my best guess to date is that there's some electrochemical reaction that galls the shackle to the body and seizes it.

Yale still make the same sort of wafer padlock. https://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/products/mechanical/padlocks/commercial-padlocks/713714---commercial-zinc-med-slu/

As for the alloy, I think it's very similar to the zinc alloy they used to make carburettors out of.

Return to Random Banter