FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Key Blank help

<<

DPSVDV

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:59 pm

Key Blank help

Well I got myself a Foley Belsaw 200 Model and I am needing to buy key blanks. Anyone got any good websites with good prices? And would I need be a cerified locksmith to purchase blanks?

:D
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:59 pm

Re: Key Blank help

i find lots of various blanks sold by the lb on Ebay just about daily....
its worth checking out...just enter "locksmith" in the search box and go from there...
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:19 am

awol70 wrote:i find lots of various blanks sold by the lb on Ebay just about daily....
its worth checking out...just enter "locksmith" in the search box and go from there...

To expand on Awol's suggestion- type in "keyblanks" on eBay and you'll get like 2000 items.

You can also narrow it down to specific items - such as American lock keyblanks, Schlage keyblanks, Medeco, etc.

Also, here's a site that sells blanks to everbody according to their webpage. And as far as I know, key blanks are not a restricted item. But, I am not a lawyer, so what do I know.
http://www.mysecuritypro.com/residentialcommercial.aspx
<<

m0ose

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:56 am

From experience, even though HomeRipoff jacks of their price, if you are only making one or two keys then it's worth it to just grab them there. It's also great because they have a blank matching thing so if you don't know what your key is you can do a quick check. Fuck them though! Don't let them cut your keys. I've learned that after time, keys and pins wear down, so making an exact duplicate of a 18 year old key isn't smart. Cutting the key slightly higher will make a better match to the aged lock.

For example, my dad's truck is a 1990, well the locksmith at his work made him a direct copy that work just as bad as his original. So I decided to give it a go. Well now the key I made works better than even his original since we've gotten it.

If you cut the blank slightly higher, remember that it might not work on the first go. Use your depth gauge to make sure it's even. I usually turn it somewhere between 5 and 10. Not sure though, I can't 100% remember. If it doesn't work the first time, check for burrs by running it through again to clean it up, and then if it still doesn't work, back in down some and find that sweet spot. Remember, every lock and it's wear is different, so the key to a long lasting key on a old lock is trial and error.

ALSO! Last bit of me going on a rampage. Please, for your own safety and the quality of your keys, check your machine and keep it checked. Until you get the hang of it and really have a feel for it check it after EVERY key. Listen to how the belt sounds, watch how the blade is cutting, and just pay attention! You will be very sad when that one time you don't give it your all, because that's the time you will be caught with your tail between your legs trying to dodge flying keys.
<<

barbarian

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:13 am

The link from HallisChalmers is a good place. They say on their front page that they will sell to anyone. If you wanted a bunch of blanks all the same for something like bumpkeys, that would be the spot to go.

I bought a couple of those "15 pounds of keys" from Ebay. They are often old stock from a hardware store that was never used. Think about that. The old crap that they couldn't sell from a hardware store. Now what are you going to do with it ?

PS. Anyone want to buy some old crap keys from a hardware store ? (LOL)
<<

GutterClown

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:42 am

Uhh, have you tried buying in bulk from a locksmith supplier?
I know the two largest ones in Australia will sell to anyone, just like any business.

Or just ask a locksmith to order in 50 blanks or something. A sale is a sale to them.
<<

locksyth

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:18 pm

Try Howard Keys .They have great prices on the bulk ones like KW1 and SC1 that you need tons of.They also carry the decorator ones. Really good to deal with. Otherwise, prices vary and change so much,it's often best to have several sites and shop around as needed. Foley -Belsaw is sometimes the best priced and has good assortments you may want to keep on hand. For transponder keys, H.L. Flake is best, but you need to be a locksmith. They carry a line called Basiks that are cheap and good. Try to find a dealer for that brand. If you need to go car by car you can go through the local parts guy,but it'll be at a mark-up. Sometimes I just go to the local hardware store and by some uncut. Confuses them greatly. Also-a tip, go to walmart,and see if they have any over-ordered blanks.Some stores get stuck with blanks for years because the rep over-bought.Ask the manager to cut the price alot and tell them you by the over stocks. It's a little known trick that can really pay off. Sometimes you can leave your name and number and every year before inventory you will get alot of blanks at very low cost. Everyone should try this and let me know what results you get. I know I do quite well. Also check Home depot,hardware stores ,etc. Just offer to buy overstock if they make it worth it. I have seen 1cent blanks. Ebay can be good, but make a list of what you want, and don't buy stuff you'll never see. They are on Ebay for a reason. Try PLS group distributors too. Often very good prices. Good luck.
LOCKSYTH-Vini,Vidi,Vici!
<<

barbarian

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:53 pm

locksyth wrote:Try Howard Keys .They have great prices on the bulk ones like KW1 and SC1 that you need tons of.....

Thanks for that info. They have a location close to me !!

Return to Random Banter